Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Noise coming from brakes and/or suspension...need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by c.scatena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AADA09B24s

here is another one without the seat belt beeping. same spot, same scenario....
That sounds AWFUL!
Check that the holes and the pads are clear and smooth and lubed up. On the metal insert that is held by the 2 pins, bend the tips that pokes down into the pads to poke harder. Over time, the pads rub on that part and wear it down, so bend it to increase the tension.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Well, you certainly were not exaggerating the grinding noise issue.

Were you in reverse gear in the last Vid or just coasting backwards? & foot off the brake?

Is your E-brake working properly? Wonder if your e-brake mechanism is causing this grinding inside the rear drum. Has the rear drum been removed lately?
in neutral no foot on brake at all. just rolling freely backwards on slight incline. brakes were all done about 6 months ago as i previously stated. im taking them out tomorrow to double check.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
That sounds AWFUL!
Check that the holes and the pads are clear and smooth and lubed up. On the metal insert that is held by the 2 pins, bend the tips that pokes down into the pads to poke harder. Over time, the pads rub on that part and wear it down, so bend it to increase the tension.
ill bend the metal insert when i take the pads out tomorrow to inspect. ill update if i can fix the problem. seems like the knocking happens when i lightly tap the brakes coming to a stop sign or stop light, but not always. im beginning to think that both noises are coming from the brakes, but when we did the shake test, everything was solid.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just wanted to make sure it wasnt something in the in E-brake mechanism

Certainly easy to check

Old Mar 15, 2018, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Just to clarify, this is the part I'm thinking about. Make sure the taper is smooth and bend for more angle. If grroved, try to smooth it down or replace if possible.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Just wanted to make sure it wasnt something in the in E-brake mechanism

Certainly easy to check

its not the ebrake because i had my buddy listen. the sound is def coming from the front passenger side
Old Mar 15, 2018, 07:28 AM

Just to clarify, this is the part I'm thinking about. Make sure the taper is smooth and bend for more angle. If grroved, try to smooth it down or replace if possible.
my part doesnt have those fins on the sides. its just the center piece that goes under both the pins. is there a part number for that? can i get it at local parts store?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 07:31 AM

my part doesnt have those fins on the sides. its just the center piece that goes under both the pins. is there a part number for that? can i get it at local parts store?
to clarify, that piece in the picture is for the rear calipers? looks too small to be for the fronts. my front brakes are in question, particularly the passenger side.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

to clarify, that piece in the picture is for the rear calipers? looks too small to be for the fronts. my front brakes are in question, particularly the passenger side.
Looks like rear should have it too:

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 15, 2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 08:31 AM

My bad. This is for front calipers. Let me look at rear.

that actually looks like its for rear. Its my front passenger. My rears are fine, no squealing, no grinding or any kind of noise and ebrake works fine. Its the fronts that are squealing and the passenger side is the one thats grinding.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

that actually looks like its for rear. Its my front passenger. My rears are fine, no squealing, no grinding or any kind of noise and ebrake works fine. Its the fronts that are squealing and the passenger side is the one thats grinding.
Front brakes definitely has it (I remember that, even though it's been at least 5 years ago when I did my brakes)

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 15, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:00 AM

yeah, both front and backs have them. ill double check when i get the pads out. ill try to bend em a little bit. i hope its something as easy as that. ill post updates after we do surgery on this front end. keep your opinions and recommendations coming.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Clean the holes in pads and grease it up before installing the 2 pins. Pads slide on those and you want it to slide away from rotor easier.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:50 AM

Clean the holes in pads and grease it up before installing the 2 pins. Pads slide on those and you want it to slide away from rotor easier.
i always clean and lube the pins with some grease before I reinstall them, should be enough grease. This time I’ll live the pad holes too. But last time I changed brakes I didn’t have this issue. And I did everything the same, the only difference this time around is the parts.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 04:21 PM

So the grinding noise was the dust plate touching the rotor, we bent it back and voila gone, but the knocking remains, I’ve narrowed it down to brakes tho, because it happens in reverse when I touch the brakes....here’s a video

The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Mar 16, 2018)

Quick Reply: Noise coming from brakes and/or suspension...need help!!!