Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What bushings may have gotten old

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What bushings may have gotten old

Hi guys. My 2001 Evo 7 obviously has a bit of age on it. Was wondering what bushings I should replace that may have gotten worn out over time.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Mitsubishi used to advertise the sideways compliance of their rear independent suspension. In a crosswind the rear suspension would flex just enough that steering corrections were unnecessary. As the vehicle ages and the rubber stiffens this goes away and the car drives like any other in the wind.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 02:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not sure if I followed Barney's comment about the wind, but all the bushes should be considered for replacement (even the rear diff bushes should be considered for replacement)
Old Mar 19, 2018, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
If you're looking for an order of necessity, look for the biggest bushings to do first. Those have usually a lot of open space to let them deform softening vibrations and noise. Those also strain the rubber more than smaller tighter bushings. So something like the trailing arm bushing for sure but upper control arm bushings might be fine.

But considering age and assuming performance is what you're after, most if not all could stand to be replaced. Just dont replace OEM sphericals with urathane, thats a move in the wrong direction.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Not sure if I followed Barney's comment about the wind, but all the bushes should be considered for replacement (even the rear diff bushes should be considered for replacement)
When my Evo was new I had occasion to make frequent trips down the interstate to another town. As a change of pace, sometimes I'd drive the WRX. The wind likes to blow in Nebraska. Driving the WRX I had to be prepared to catch it coming out from under an overpass or find myself in the next lane. In similar weather the Evo drove about like it was a calm day. This was a feature that Mitsubishi invented and advertised 30 years ago - now copied by most other makes. You just don't see cars being blown about on the highway like was common thirty years ago.

If the center of force is behind the center of gravity and there is just the right compliance in the rear suspension, the car will track just enough into the wind to counterbalance tire squirm.

Mitsubishi used to do great engineering. I hope they can make a comeback.
The following users liked this post:
IMPdemon (Apr 3, 2018)