Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rebuilding Brembos and the Front Pistons wont go in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rebuilding Brembos and the Front Pistons wont go in

Rears went in like butter

I cant get any of the pistons for the front brakes to go in past 1/3, and yes the bleeder screws have basically been removed on both sides

Any tips?

Im thinking about ordering new pistons, not sure if that would help
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull em out and try again, make sure you lube them up with brake fluid as well. If you're sure you didn't nick the edge of the hole(the metal is relatively soft) then they should go in once you get the magical straight on alignment
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I got the small ones in, and the big ones get stuck or caught 1/3 of the way in :-/

Plus two of my smaller dust shields are too small just barely :-/
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If they won't go past 1/3 you're getting stuck at the seal. A few things: make sure the seals are sitting flush, lube the seals and the piston in brake fluid or BAF12. Outside of that it's just trial and error to make sure that the piston is going in straight. I typically use an old brake pad to provide a flat surface and then a C-clamp or pad spreader to apply pressure to the piston to get it past the seal.
The following users liked this post:
Rob_STI_PNW (Mar 21, 2018)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So, I just rebuilt mine ( and repainted) and I also struggled with the pistons. I have done this before many years ago and don't recall havning any issues getting them in or out. I did use centex replacement rubber kits last time, so I just assumed it was inferior deals compared to the brembo ones. After much back and forth what worked best for me was holding the caliper in a vice via the mounting bolt hole, using a small piece of 1x2 wood on the outside face of the caliper (I had just clear coated mine) and using a screw type C clamp. That way I could concentrate that is was going in straight, and not have to apply the power. The screw clamp made them slide right in. I also used a rear brake pad between the piston and stiff end of the C clamp. Anything flat an stiff will work so that pressure is even accross the hole of the front or top of the piston.

And as mentioned above use a lot of brake fluid to lube it, but don't use any other stuff.
The following users liked this post:
2winscroll (Mar 29, 2018)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
C-clamp them in with silicone lube on the seals. They are just tight is all.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

I ended up splitting the halves, and using the caliper compressor tool on one of them

The rest I used a rubber mallet to tap them in

I also used centric seals and centric pistons, only one OEM piston went in, the centrics I was able to push most in by hand, last centimeter i used a rubber mallet.

Will install hopefully this weekend
long time coming