Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How long do summer tires last????

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2004, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long do summer tires last????

I am getting my car from the dealer with 5200 miles on it. The dealer said it has summer tires on it and that they only last about 10,000 miles. Is that true and whats the difference between summer and winter tires? The car is going to be kept in Las Vegas so it should be warm most of the year. Oh yeah, by the way I am a total newbie with these. Thanks
Old May 30, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grett04
I am getting my car from the dealer with 5200 miles on it. The dealer said it has summer tires on it and that they only last about 10,000 miles. Is that true and whats the difference between summer and winter tires? The car is going to be kept in Las Vegas so it should be warm most of the year. Oh yeah, by the way I am a total newbie with these. Thanks
Winter tires have deep tread blocks that are spaced far apart, compounds that are supple at low temps, and sidewalls that are mushy. All of this helps them get good grip on deformable surfaces, like snow and sleet. They last a while, mostly because people tend to drive slowly in a snowstorm. But most winter tires will only work well for a couple of seasons before losing grip (even if the treads look ok).

Summer tires have broad tread-blocks that are close together, compounds that are stable at higher temps, and stiff sidewalls. All of this helps them hold up under hard cornering in the dry without falling apart. They don't last too long, mostly because they have soft compounds and people tend to drive hard in nice weather.

If you live in Nevada, you'll never need snow tires anyway, so don't even worry about them!

Emre
Old May 30, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Winter tires have deep tread blocks that are spaced far apart, compounds that are supple at low temps, and sidewalls that are mushy. All of this helps them get good grip on deformable surfaces, like snow and sleet. They last a while, mostly because people tend to drive slowly in a snowstorm. But most winter tires will only work well for a couple of seasons before losing grip (even if the treads look ok).

Summer tires have broad tread-blocks that are close together, compounds that are stable at higher temps, and stiff sidewalls. All of this helps them hold up under hard cornering in the dry without falling apart. They don't last too long, mostly because they have soft compounds and people tend to drive hard in nice weather.

If you live in Nevada, you'll never need snow tires anyway, so don't even worry about them!

Emre

Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That pretty much sums it up
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
That pretty much sums it up
Well, when I moved to Canada from the US I had to learn about snow tires...fast! The stock Advans were basically unusable when I got the Evo (late November), so I had to invest in snows within a couple of days of buying the car. Took it to a winter driving/rally school near Ottawa as soon as I broke the engine in. That was a blast!

Emre
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:03 AM
Account Disabled

lucky bastad