Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ALL Kumho ASX owners. About to buy ASX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ALL Kumho ASX owners. About to buy ASX

I'm about to get 235/45/17 Kumho ASX. Any feed back, do it, don't do it.

I do autox and drag but I want something that'll last me a while without performing horribly.

I can't get the p-zero nero because it's back ordered until febuary.

Anyway, I wont mind a bit off the performance, i'm not trying to find something that's going to perform like Advans.

I had ES100 before but they only lasted me 5 months, 15,000 miles.

SO, if you got some feed back, feel free to post it until tomorrow.

thanks.

The cost that I got quoted was $500 mounted/ etc.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be able to save $40 bucks or so if you have them shipped to your house and then calling around on mounting and balancing charges. I got them shipped to my house for 400$ and then got them mounted at a Tires Plus for $60. After everything, my total price was $468. Not too shabby!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:35 PM
Account Disabled

ok, few info on this tire.

I was trying to compare this with p-zero nero m+S.

P-zero's wear rate is 400 at traction A temperature A

ASX 's is 420 at traction A Temperature A

They're both z rated, i believe or something in the 160mph range,

all season mud and snow.

I know it's not going to perform that well as summer max performance tires, but the wear rate is about twice as those summer tires. (Isn't AA traction like some of the summer tires)

Besides, I don't like hydroplaning. Had some bad experiences with it.

in paper, they're a good comparison, it's just that I know in real world driving the things are different.

What I'm most concerned about is the cornering ability and stability in high speed. I don't care about the ride comfort or road noise.

I live in GA, rains a lot, suns out a lot, it gets real hot and humid here but no snow, hardly ever.

So I think I'm making a good choice, since these are really cheap tires.

I could order these from tirerack for $400 but mounting is going to be around $100, so I'm going to the discout tire store near my house.

let me know.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
Account Disabled

I've fixed a nail in my tires few times there for $15 each time and they told me if I bought my tires there, those prices will go toward my purchase of the tires.

at discount tires.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:38 PM
Account Disabled

well, looks like i'm getting this tire without any review from people.

I looked around at other forums, but they're all Front wheel drive and RWD cars. They're saying good stuff, from corolla to supra.

But really, our grip level is different from one axle rotating cars, since all 4 of our tires help on grip.

I've noticed that even with my tires bald as it is, it grips better than most FWD, RWD cars I've driven before at speeds exceeding.

So, hopefully ASX could give some great wear rate for me car for a good year or so at 15,000 mile rate every 6 month.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:35 PM
Account Disabled

bumpity bump
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running the Kumho ECSTA ASX as my winter rubbers. I know it's not the same tire you're looking at, but I can say that I'm impressed by the quality. The ECSTA ASX is an Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tire. That said, it performs very well with only a slight reduction in cornering stability over the Advans. They are extremely sticky, even for an all-season tire. The tire is very well built and you can't beat the price for the quality you recieve. I would very highly recommend Kumho and would buy another set from them. I hope this helps.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:31 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, that's what I'm looking for.

how does it corner? how's the wear? thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

I have these tires and actually got them mounte two days before we got a butt load of snow. The EVO is pure love with the right kind of tires.

I don't have any complaints about the tire. They seem to corner nicely. I actually had them talking the other night. Grip seemed to be good, but there is some sidewall give. It's a big difference going from the Advans to any other tire. You just have to get used to it and re learn the limits of the new tire.

I'd say get them.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

[
how does it corner? how's the wear? thanks.[/QUOTE]They actually corner better than I anticipated. I understood I was going to lose some performance, even though they're considered "Ultra High Performance." They corner like it's their job! The wear also seems to be really good, but it's far too early for me to tell. I think I've put on close to 1,000 miles since I've had them. They also rock out in the snow. It's cool to feel what the AWD will do with the right rubber. I would advise you to check these out. You won't regret it.