Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EVO VII handling VS WRX/STI handling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2002, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VII handling VS WRX/STI handling?

With similar suspension & tire setups, how would their handling traits contrast? Would the EVO VII be the superior handling car, or are they very similar?
Old Jan 24, 2002, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Much less contrast than the contrast between a good driver and poor driver. I.e. best driver wins in either car.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Say, Tommi Makinen driving the STi, perhaps?

They're both excellent handling cars.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 07:26 AM

I have a WRX that I am upgrading to ~350hp, AP racing brakes, and coilovers for daily driving and tracking. I am hoping that I won't be disappointed in its handling. The stock suspension makes me nauseous, it feels like a limo. But the underlying character feels to be very solid, and balanced. These stock 1.5 kg/mm springs have got to go!
Old Jan 24, 2002, 03:40 PM

I have posted this elsewhere on this site but I think it should be repeated here.

Stating that the Scooby STi has "inherently neutral handling characteristics" goes against all the comments made by anybody who has driven the car. It understeers like mad! This is not just Evo talk. For instance, Autocar, one of the most respected magazines in the UK, stated only last week -"Push too hard and it will understeer too strongly for our tastes".

Autocar also go on to say "the Impreza STi is not strictly an Evo 7 rival" and "there's not a road tester amongst us who'd not rather drive the extraordinary Mitsubishi".

The bottom line is that the Scooby is a very good car but it is not a true performance car. It does not handle like one and even a standard Evo does. In fact, most commentators would say that an Evo is the fastest car around what in the UK we call country lanes, faster than a Porsche etc. Go on the roads where Claudius lives and no production car will touch an Evo. And I mean nothing!

Finally, you could get a Scooby to handle as well as a standard Evo, but it will cost you. Spend the same money on the Evo and the Evo wins again. It is only when you get to competition cars, with roll cages to stiffen the chassis, that the cars begin to get close to each other.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 08:04 PM
RED

From what I have read I have always thought that the EVO and the STi were very close in comparison to each other. I am speaking of the European cars. I have limited experience with performance cars, but my little WRX wagon is in my mind a true performance car.
I feel that the EVO is a great car. I think the US version will be a great car. I don't think there is or will be a great disparity between the two. I love my car and think the STi will be even better.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 09:12 PM

red,

i'm not knocking scoob's as they are great cars but having driven both you can't compare them to an evo. The evo has loads more mid range and more benign handling. By this i mean at the limit the scoob will spit out the dummy and take all its toys away whereas the evo trying to help you. Sure, if you're stupid (and i often am) you're gonna lose it, but its easy to get it back.

Not knocking yank cars, but the ones i have always had when i've been over there have handled like blancemange (like jelly but worse), as powerful as a lawn mower and been about as fun to drive as ... well i can't think of anything that bad. The scoob is gonna seem like a big step up from this.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

"there's not a road tester amongst us who'd not rather drive the extraordinary Mitsubishi"

Tiff Needle, in the Top Gear STi vs EVO video, "But, on first impressions, I'll take the Subaru."
Old Jan 25, 2002, 09:53 PM

Tiff does not work for the magazine that wrote that piece.

Jonathon Palmer (ex F1) runs the best motorsport experience day in the UK. He has just ordered 6 E6 RS TME's because he says they are the ultimate in 4wd performance saloons. I personally respect him more than Tiff, although Tiff is more amusing and knows how to play to a crowd.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 01:46 AM

I saw this video on the net and it had a guy test driving the evo 6 or 7 i cant remember and the impreza and he says the impreza tends to understeer a little
Old Jan 27, 2002, 05:49 PM
RED

I also stated that "I have limited experience with performance cars..."
Obviuosly this is my opinion. A performance car is defined differently by different people. You seem to have great experience with a great many cars. My opinion may change when I get a chance to drive the US EVO.

Last edited by RED; Jan 27, 2002 at 10:19 PM.