Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Who uses all the settings on their Coilovers?

Old Dec 9, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Who uses all the settings on their Coilovers?

I am curious about the coilover issue. I have a Tanabe set, and there is 7 settings on the rear, and 4 in the front. I think that is plenty for what I use them for.( Daily Driving and road-racing) Daily driving I set them mid-way. harsher than stock, but I can set them up to a "stock-like" setting. I road race at closed racetracks, where I set them at their tightest settings. The car sticks like a ****. I will be upgrading with the Tanabe coils possibly over the winter (still with TANABE, but the higher dollar ones). I Plan on doing ALOT of road racing next year. The question I have is this:

1. How many people with the JIC coilovers,or other coilovers with more that 20 settings, actually use all or most of the settings?

Initially I got the Tein s TECHs because I liked the "stance" of the car being lowered, then I heard they throw off the stock suspension geometry, and can mess up the struts etc... That is why I chose the coilovers, but dont know if all the extra settings would be used, ie 30 settings as opposed to 7 or 15 etc...
Again, I refer back to Question #1. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ot.. I road race at closed racetracks.. that wont be fun with a 35r, unless its a big track..
Old Dec 9, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
ot.. I road race at closed racetracks.. that wont be fun with a 35r, unless its a big track..
What turbo would you reccommend? I plan on passing you on the straitaways anyway. how can I do this besides filling your gastank with water?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Does this mean no one uses all the settings? Do you have the coilovers on and leave the setting all the time? Or just click them while at the track?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I cant speak for everyone obviously...But I rarely every touch any of mine...JIC's by the way. I do the same thing you do...Full stiff at the track and about half stiff on the street. Frankly, I really think that you have to be a suspension guru or a very experienced racer to bother screwing around any more than that with them. I honestly wouldnt know what else to bother doing.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
I cant speak for everyone obviously...But I rarely every touch any of mine...JIC's by the way. I do the same thing you do...Full stiff at the track and about half stiff on the street. Frankly, I really think that you have to be a suspension guru or a very experienced racer to bother screwing around any more than that with them. I honestly wouldnt know what else to bother doing.
Thanks man, great response. I didnt know if I was getting my use out of them using just 2 settings. dont know if i could tell the difference incramentally between 1-7, and what does that equate to 1-4 in the front? I will figure it out someday!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Depending on how each setting is valved, you may or may not have use for all of them. Often times, the coilovers with the very numerous number of damping settings have dyno-charts with a bunch of lines overlaid on one top of each other, with very little variation between each. So you effectively have half or less than the advertised amount.
Also dependent on valving is how effective each setting is. A progressive low-damping curve is fairly useless for any kind of driving unless you enjoy the feeling of being underdamped. On the other hand, the astronomical high-speed damping rates found on some of these coilovers are fairly useless for any sort of driving unless the track/road is mirror smooth and the car is setup properly.
Honestly, the majority of buyers should be well-suited with just one damping curve, given:
1. The damping is well-matched to the springs, and
2. They are like most users who don't have the knowledge to properly use damping to control a car's handling characteristics.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

That explains it, thank you very much for that info. I will go check your site now, and see what goodies you have there! Thanks again.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
That explains it, thank you very much for that info. I will go check your site now, and see what goodies you have there! Thanks again.
You're very welcome
Old Dec 10, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Checked your site out, and VERY reasonable coilover prices. since I have the coils, I am in need for "other" suspension parts to make it stick. ie Control, "A" arms, etc... you dont have them also do you?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

All of those settings are useful to get your car set up in the first place. I don't think many people tinker with them all the time.
On the Impulse I have 21 adjustment points, I used hundreds of different setting combinations until I found the right setup. Now I don't ever touch them unless it is wet out.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

small track, 3071, or the new busher evo 9 turbo.. bigger track, 3076..
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
small track, 3071, or the new busher evo 9 turbo.. bigger track, 3076..
Thanks as always dafarmer
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
All of those settings are useful to get your car set up in the first place. I don't think many people tinker with them all the time.
On the Impulse I have 21 adjustment points, I used hundreds of different setting combinations until I found the right setup. Now I don't ever touch them unless it is wet out.
Thanks for the info. I dont know if I could tell the difference between setting 18 and 19 lets say. Maybe I need someone to "set" the balance. I Just stiffen it to the max for racing, and mid-way for daily driving.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I set mine, every track. not just once. Based on the track design, I will put wedge in or out, and play with the dampening to optimize the car. Usually, there is only ~.5sec more, but in timetrials, that can be the difference between first and third. I will also go up or down +/- 2k on the springs, depending on whether I am running rain tires, or R compounds, but that is something new for this season, I didn't have all the stuff I needed last season.

But, for the most part, I don't know many people who will go through all the trouble I do for less than one second at a track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who uses all the settings on their Coilovers?