Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

review on new (silver) Megan Racing track series

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates on these?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Update?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nnorris7413
How much stiffer is it than stock while driving on the street? Im very interested in these. Zeus-how much would a set of these be shipped to 60091? Thanks.

any updates on these?
Sorry I never saw your request... I don't subscribe to every thread.

I have a group buy going on for these at $875 shipped in the 48 states if we get 10 buyers, otherwise they are $900. That, of course, includes my customer service that other Megan Evo product distributors can't quite offer.

Last edited by Zeus; Jul 24, 2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I just put on my Megan Racing Track Coil-Overs, rather than starting a new thread, Ill just add what I have noticed here (borrowed from what I first posted on miEVO.net. I got mine from ProMotionTuning for $859 (sorry Zeus - they had the best price).

Here are the final settings - well not final, but what its at right now.
Height: -1in F, -.75 R
Camber: -2 F, -1 R
Caster: Max Factory
Toe: 0

Was going to go lower but I decided to keep to the sleeper theme. It is lower, but I think only another Evo owner will notice. With all the MI potholes and whatnot...and well Im too much of a chicken to drop it to the weeds. But I like how it sits right now.

There is NO more hood lift or nose dive during acc/dec. None...its a different feeling. Im used to having the front lift up on the turbo, but now its level and smooth. This is true on all settings. Id swear my car feels faster also. Given these coil-overs weight less than stock, my spare tire is out, and power transfer is improved (keeping all four on the ground better).

For typing sake and testing I tested 3 dampning levels: 0, 16, 32 or Soft, Med, Hard.

Dampning:
Soft - not much different than riding in a MR. Slight sway, but tires bite-in more than stock (GSR stock) during initial turn-in. Very slight understeer.

Med (16 clicks F/R) - what I have it at right now. Min. sway, almost none, but some is still there. Steering is more responsive, turn-in is noticably different than soft. Neutral to mild-oversteer when pushed.

Hard - holy cow. Zero body roll. Turn-in is like a go-cart, immediate and sharp. I had to pedal out of a turn like back in my RWD days, Id say you can induce power oversteer with ease on this setting. (This is the setting I want to push more at the track.)

Infinitely adjustable, so for track days, autox, heck even drag racing you can teak every corner to get it just right.

Odds-and-Ends:
My kidneys are fine, I tested out some good ol' MI potholes (yes aiming for them on purpose). Not bad, car just went over them and that was that. Ride isnt extremely bouncy or sharp, on the soft setting its really nice. You can tell its an improvement over stock when turning, but going over the road it feels "normal". Once you push it, you quickly find that you can turn harder, go faster, and keep that grin longer.

I cannot wait for some open track days to test this out. Should be drag racing in mid-late Sept. Ill be sure to post more then.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 11, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No problem... Megan holds their dealers to minimum pricing and slowly weeds out those "cheating".

Enjoy the ride... like I said before, I wasn't going to sale these to street cars, but the soft end of the dampening seems to make up for the high spring rates well. I might even throw a set on my own daily driver before all is said and done.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I have had mine for about two weeks and had the chance to do one autox, so far, I am very happy with my choice. At 1 they are better then stock ride and better then the Espelir GT's I had on my blue Evo, but crank them up for autox and the character of the car changes. I set them on 26 and went out for my first autox in my new car and it was awesome. Turn in is improved and when matched with a upgraded swaybar the car is very neutral, just what I wanted. Thanks Zeus, might not have been the cheapest but you got the product out quickly and answered any questions I had in a timely manner.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I've also had mine a few weeks. So far they have performed great. I'm still fine tuning them though. Setting them up stiffer in the rear seem to be the best way to go. I did something like 2 clicks from hardest in rear and 6 in front.
I ran in SM in a class of about 10 and placed second. I was beat by a very well prepped WRX running KW Variant3's and 275 Kumho V710's. With my Megan track coilovers and on my old 245 AO32r's I finished 1.2 seconds back. Not bad considering the huge tire advantage he had. I'm still messing with adjustments also. To get an idea of how much time you can knock off by fine tuning your coilovers, tire pressures, swaybar settings, etc. I started out running a 49.6 and got it down to a 46.5 on my last run.
My Evo is set at -2.5 front camber, -1.2 rear with 0 toe...and corner balanced.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Nice Broeli, I will try that at the autox this weekend and see how it works for me. I am running 255/40 RA-1's which will give up a little time also. Not used to having so many things that I can adjust at the track.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Interested in seeing up close pics of construction and welding......are the shocks length adjustable at the bottom???

The coilovers on my other car allow shock height adjustment without affecting travel and I would hope these are the same.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Interested in seeing up close pics of construction and welding......are the shocks length adjustable at the bottom???

The coilovers on my other car allow shock height adjustment without affecting travel and I would hope these are the same.
Yep they are the same. I did not take any pics when they were not on the car.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be going back again and racing in another SCCA regional event this weekend. The competition will be stiff again. Three well prepped WRX's and several Evo's among some other cars will be in the mix again in SM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Good news broeli... get some more rubber under that thing!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:03 PM
Account Disabled

Come spring time I think a set of these is on my list of to dos...
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Anyone compare this to the Street set up?

I currently have the Street set up and love the ride quality on the street but on the track they tend to be on the soft side and body roll is definitely there even on the stiffest settings.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Track? Will the ride be noticably worse? Keep in mind I am using it as a daily driver as well as weekend track car.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

bump for updated reviews

Quick Reply: review on new (silver) Megan Racing track series