Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

review on new (silver) Megan Racing track series

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
review on new (silver) Megan Racing track series

Hello again,

It has been a week since I installed my new set of Megan Racing. I am sure many of you still remember my topic about 10 days ago freaking out about receiving a set of "Silver" Megan Racing coilovers instead of the red Megan Racing like everyone else.

First of all, lets quickly reveal the difference between my Megan Racing coilovers(silver, track series) and the red Megan Racing coilovers(street series) that were for sale for nearly a year:

- Red Megan racing are street series denomination while mine are called Track series and they are silver
- MSRP on the track series(silver) is $50 more
- Dampering is harder on the Silver track series than the Red street series
- Valving ans sealing is much stronger on the track series

I got the information above directly from the manager at Megan Racing(Calvin).

Lets review the product now. This coilovers are very nice made, quality is there, they are much lighter than stock and aluminium parts are all over this components.

These coilovers are a 32 way dampering adjustable, I personally timed myself adjusting the coilover from all the way soft to all the way hard in less than 30 sec for all 4 coilovers, it takes virtually 2-3 sec per coilover to adjust from soft to hard.

The camber plates are beautifully made, when I was at the track last weekend people were giving me compliments on how nice the camber plates looks on a silver car.

I know it has been talked here multiple times but let me tell you this guys: the Megan racing are same products as some other expensive coilovers like Apexi and perhaps identical in shape of Helix, only differences are the colors and I am not kidding.

The car rides 10 times better than before but remember, I was perhaps the first MR owner with a ****ed up suspension due to the stupid Tein S on a MR(too much of a drop, it destroyed my shocks within days, leaking everywhere). This coilover kit surpassed my expectations so far, the looks is great, the qwuality is great and the ride is comfortable, I thought it was going to be tougher on firm mode..

I was tempted to buy some expensive suspension for my car, I am a guy that love good and expensive brands but also on the same note I am only a portion of what you guys are as far is driving your car hard on handling, that means that I don't go to autoX or road courses as much as you do and I was looking for just the looks of a drop and of course to have a decent suspension setup for a affordable budget.

Don't look any further, this product offers you 95% as much fun as the best coilovers out there but for a fraction of a expensive set up. I am not by any means trying to hurt any vendors sales by not suggesting big names coilovers, I am saying please DON'T understimate these coilovers.

I will post more pics later. If you have any questions I will be more than glad to take my time to respond it. Good luck buying your coilovers, I highly suggest the new Megan Racing Track series. Oh yeahh, I almost forgot.. how much did I paid for them? $898 shipped to my door.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 19, 2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for more or less the same thing you were and Megans are high on my list right now.

Thanks for the nice write up.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

The inital write up looks good...really good. I'm more concerned with longevity though. How well will they perform in 6 months, a year etc

I have a lot of megan stuff so it's not a knock, just want more in depth long term reviews.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

is it mono tube design?
Old May 19, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Hey do the Megans have the brake line bracket or a place to mount it?
Old May 19, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoRicer
Hey do the Megans have the brake line bracket or a place to mount it?
yup they have the bracket.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
The inital write up looks good...really good. I'm more concerned with longevity though. How well will they perform in 6 months, a year etc

I have a lot of megan stuff so it's not a knock, just want more in depth long term reviews.
I am with you on that one bro. This is the thing though, I live in dry hot AZ, that means that rust is not a concern however you never know.

I am planning on lubricating my coilovers threads at least once a month to keep them funtional. As per the long term reliability it would depend on different factors, like per instance I drive alone 95% of the time and that is not a lot of load on the coilovers, I also don't autoX or participate on road course much either.

I guess that it will take time to start seen any discrepancies but for now you can read previous Megan racing coilover owners for a more detailed feedback. I know for a fact that people like Joymia actively utilizes his coilovers much more than me and he also used the coilovers for autoX events.

Take this following remark to your advantage. My best friend Evofunk(Sergio) once put on his Mini Cooper S the best suspesnion on themarket for his Mini, they were KW V2 series coilovers, MSRP around $2600 and the manufacturer says that they were test proven rust free. When he sold the Mini to get a Evo 8 his coilovers were frozen in one piece of rust, the thread was completly unserviceable and non operative. I met a second guy with the same coilover kits(KW V2 Series) on a Mini Cooper S also and this guy had a leaky coilover.

My point is that you can have the most expensive coilovers in the market and they can still rust and leak despite manufacturers claims..
Regardless I will still give a feedback as I progresively ride these coilovers.

my 2c

Carlos
Old May 20, 2006, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I am with you on that one bro. This is the thing though, I live in dry hot AZ, that means that rust is not a concern however you never know.

I am planning on lubricating my coilovers threads at least once a month to keep them funtional. As per the long term reliability it would depend on different factors, like per instance I drive alone 95% of the time and that is not a lot of load on the coilovers, I also don't autoX or participate on road course much either.

I guess that it will take time to start seen any discrepancies but for now you can read previous Megan racing coilover owners for a more detailed feedback. I know for a fact that people like Joymia actively utilizes his coilovers much more than me and he also used the coilovers for autoX events.

Take this following remark to your advantage. My best friend Evofunk(Sergio) once put on his Mini Cooper S the best suspesnion on themarket for his Mini, they were KW V2 series coilovers, MSRP around $2600 and the manufacturer says that they were test proven rust free. When he sold the Mini to get a Evo 8 his coilovers were frozen in one piece of rust, the thread was completly unserviceable and non operative. I met a second guy with the same coilover kits(KW V2 Series) on a Mini Cooper S also and this guy had a leaky coilover.

My point is that you can have the most expensive coilovers in the market and they can still rust and leak despite manufacturers claims..
Regardless I will still give a feedback as I progresively ride these coilovers.

my 2c

Carlos

Yeah no doubt Carlos, I wasnt second guessing or knocking the product at all, as I said I have Megan stuff as well. Just looking long term is all. But again I feel you. Someone gotta take the chance and test. I did it with the Megan Exhaust when it first came out. People was talkin all kinds of stuff cheap this, tiawan that blah blah blah... anyway.

On another not Carlos, if you dont track the car, or auto x it etc....why coil overs? Wouldnt a set of 179 dollar Hotchkis springs work just the same for your application?
Old May 20, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
On another not Carlos, if you dont track the car, or auto x it etc....why coil overs? Wouldnt a set of 179 dollar Hotchkis springs work just the same for your application?
I'll take this one Carlos...
Coilovers are nice because you can adjust the ride height independently from the dampening. Lowering springs will always give a harsher & stiffer ride than stock springs. Because the struts and springs have been lowered, there is less room to work - the lowering springs have to be a lot stiffer to compensate for the drop. With a coilover you can slam it and still have a plush Cadillac feel if you so desire, or you can stiffen it up as much as you want.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for pitching in Spoolin, that is exactly what is on my mind. I did not want a set of lowering springs any more, they are a PITA to replace and the end product is one single suspension setup, either to soft, to firm ,to bouncy or whatever.

Withouth a doubt a set of coilovers like Megan Racing will give you that ultimate choice of affordability and performance.

Springs are the cheapest option but unless you do them yourself the labor is expensive and you end with one single lowering point and a single suspension mode.

The coilovers are much less work to replace, remove and install, no compressing springs involved. but the main buying factor is that you can adjust the ride and also the dampering from cadillac set up to Gt cup series.

By the way, I have a set of Tein S for sale now that you remind me.

SPOOLIN (Douglas), IAperformance gran opening is tomorrow, I am inviting to you come to the gran opening and also inviting you to drive my car, I know you were looking for this suspension.

Carlos
Old May 20, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the invite tomorrow Carlos, but it's hard for me to get away on Sundays. I wish the opening was today cause I would have gone.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlos,

Do you really like the Race setup (12k/10k) on the street? I was very weary to sell these to people over the Street set (8k/6k), as I was afraid they would be too rough for most people on a daily driver.

Now for the shameless plug, anyone wanting a set of these contact me. Not only is the pricing nice, but you get Zeus' support, which steps it up a whole other level.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Zeus,

I am very happy with my setup. You sold a set of Megan racing to my best friend Sergio(Evofunk). Sergio is a very refine person when speaking on car suspension.
When Sergio recommended me the Megan is because he felt they were a great product.

I can't complain, my driving is 99% of the time by myself, I currently have the set up to soft and I love it, it is very comfortable. As you know I go to the track very often, I do the siwtching to hard and they perform very well. I also noticed that my 60' are improved again.

You can't go wrong by selling these coilovers for street use. If you want, I will let some of my Evo friends drive my car and give me some feedback but for now I recommend these coilovers for street and daily driving.

Carlos
Old May 21, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
Thanks for the invite tomorrow Carlos, but it's hard for me to get away on Sundays. I wish the opening was today cause I would have gone.
SPOOLIN(Doug),

You missed for real, the crowd was between 70-100 people at all the time, I would say about 15 Evos, 12 WRX/STI and many other muscle cars.

Ray put down 458whp on the Mustang Dyno. I have 100plus pics of the whole event, I will create a website for everyone to view them.

Carlos
Old May 23, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

How much stiffer is it than stock while driving on the street? Im very interested in these. Zeus-how much would a set of these be shipped to 60091? Thanks.

Quick Reply: review on new (silver) Megan Racing track series