Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear shock absorber leaking. Clunking sound

Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear shock absorber leaking. Clunking sound

I looked underneath the car today and found that my rear right hand shock absorber is leaking oil and grease. The car also makes a slight clunking noise when going over bumps.

The funny thing is the car is new with only 9000km mileage. What could cause this abrupt failure in shocks? Should I look into anything else? Or should I just change the shock absorbers? The other shocks seem to be fine.

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. I did not hit any bumps or any potholes.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

bump.. anyone?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an unusally short life for a shock. Normally, you get leaking shocks from getting them real hot (long, relatively bumpy surface) and then hitting a big bump so you're loading the seals big time when they're really hot. The other way would be to have them out of the car for ages, standing up right and then using them hard right after the install.

If everything is looking okay (like no marks on the rod) then you can get it repaired. The others should be fine but check for oil leaks anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:23 AM
Pocket Mo

Take your car into the dealership and get it checked out. Leaking oil usually means new shock needed. That's impossible, unless you got springs on your car, to do unless it was a defective shock. Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

^you can bugger up a brand new shock no problems. sounds like it's just a seal problem so getting it repaired should be simple enough. but yes, the dealer should take care of it.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
^you can bugger up a brand new shock no problems. sounds like it's just a seal problem so getting it repaired should be simple enough. but yes, the dealer should take care of it.
The dealer has no support for this type of car. And I brought the car myself, dealer doesn't bring it. Will it be the same after repair or should I just get new shocks.

Does shock absorbers need to be changed in pairs or just the one that was damaged?