Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Least Road Noise Tire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Least Road Noise Tire

Im sure this has been discussed before, just seems like a topic that has been.. im just having trouble finding it. can somone direct me to the thread which discusses the tire which makes the lease road noise?

if it hasnt been discussed.. then please discuss
Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt it has been discussed much, because any tire that has no road noise is going to suck. Do you really want to put some crappy, non-performance tires on your incredible IX MR? And does road noise _REALLY_ bother you? I have not noticed any road noise in 2 years of owning my MR, and the only tires I use are the stock Advans and Falken RT-615s, both of which are top-notch in terms of performance. Maybe I'm deaf, but I can't imagine caring more about road noise than handling and traction...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

BF Goodrich G force KDWS are some of the best tires I have had for noise. They are also Z rated and handle AWESOME!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

i have some pirelli pzero nero's all seasons and they handle great now that it's starting to get cold and the road is cold, but during summer time be sure to slap on some summer tires, my pirelli's handled very sloppy this past summer
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I doubt it has been discussed much, because any tire that has no road noise is going to suck. Do you really want to put some crappy, non-performance tires on your incredible IX MR? And does road noise _REALLY_ bother you? I have not noticed any road noise in 2 years of owning my MR, and the only tires I use are the stock Advans and Falken RT-615s, both of which are top-notch in terms of performance. Maybe I'm deaf, but I can't imagine caring more about road noise than handling and traction...
I know disagreeing with you is like telling the Pope he's wrong, but I'll aim the gun at my head - I think you are skewed here.

To say you have never heard road noise is just absurd. I love my VIII - drive it every day the 46 miles to and from work. I take it to Solo 2 events with my victoracers in the back seat - and I have to say that every day when I hit 70 mph on the Interstate, I think - damn these tires are howling. To be fair, I have some piece of crap knock-off brand that came with the car (used) and am planning on replacing them as soon as I can, but I still think of it every day.

Having said that, there is a blend. Kumho tires, especially the hyper-crappy 711 series, howl like a dog in heat. The MXes were better, at first, then worse towards the end. Potenza S-03 PP's were just amazing over their whole life, but louder as the miles got higher. There is a blend, and in my personal experience the S-03 PP's I had were the best blend of grip, turn-in and noise.

To dismiss it is to sound like some macho I want to tell you what you need thing, and you're above that Warrtalon. Or at least I think you are.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

If you're looking for all seasons, Kumho ASX's.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

In the winter I run Conti Extreme contact all seasons. Nice tires, but on dry you can get into all wheel drifts pretty easy, buy HELL THAT IS FUN AS CRAP. quite as hell too that was your questions.

in summer I run Bridestone potenza RE-01R's great handleing, less road noise then advans, a bit better lateral grip in my opionion because I dont think they are quite as stiff on the side wall. they will flex a bit, and will leave cool black marks on road.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what you meant by all that, Schuyler, but I honestly do not notice any road noise. I'm not saying there is none - I'm saying that I do not notice it. What I do notice is the exhaust, the power, and the handling. I really have no idea why people complain about road noise on our stock tires and stock equivalents. Maybe the noise just doesn't bother me, or I have an aural defect that doesn't detect that frequency (ok, just kidding).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LoCo4
BF Goodrich G force KDWS are some of the best tires I have had for noise. They are also Z rated and handle AWESOME!
Dude, you're nuts. I have the same tires right now and they are much noiser than my old Toyos. I hear good things about the Falkens and I'll give those a whirl next time around.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure what you meant by all that, Schuyler, but I honestly do not notice any road noise. I'm not saying there is none - I'm saying that I do not notice it. What I do notice is the exhaust, the power, and the handling. I really have no idea why people complain about road noise on our stock tires and stock equivalents. Maybe the noise just doesn't bother me, or I have an aural defect that doesn't detect that frequency (ok, just kidding).
Ah - well see I am running stock exhaust so I didn't even think of that part. For those of us with stock or near-stock exhaust, tire noise is definitely the biggest culprit of road noise.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

i think some people just got the Evo for different reasons. i wouldn't mind the Evo to be quieter/more comfortable, just not at the cost of performance.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:23 AM

I didnt realy notice much road noise with the stock tires. Untill i got some differnt ones. I bought some Toyo proxes4's for the winter, much quieter than the Advans. Dont really care about the noise, just the way it worked out.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:18 AM

My Advans got really noisy as the tread wore away. As soon as I put my Potenza RE050As on I noticed an immediate decrease in noise. They handle pretty well too.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

i really dont track my car, 95% of my car is used to drive to and from school.. ~65 miles 5 days out of the week. if ANY agressive driving.. its the usual speed a bit on the highway but im not necessarly taking crazy turns. highway driving is what i do, there for performance isnt necessarly being lost on a great level, becuase i dont even use that sort of performance to begin with. im just looking for a nice quite ride for the evo.

anyone else who thinks evos are SUPOSED to be loud as ****... bumpy as hell.. or the only appropiate way to drive it is to dawg it 24/7... then blow me. I baught my evo because its been my dream car since i was a kid, not because im a speed racer like you. i plan on doing 0 mods to my car leaving it completly stock. i just would prefer more comfortable ride going to school.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spudlus
If you're looking for all seasons, Kumho ASX's.
+1. when i'm in rolling in neutral on the freeway, i barely hear the tires.