Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lugnuts for stock Enkie wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lugnuts for stock Enkie wheels?

Hey I have been looking for a set of black open ended lugnuts for the stock Enkei wheels. I know they are M12x1.5 but I'm unsure of the crown type. Does anybody have a set of Ray's, Kyokugen, Ralliart, etc. Which ones will work with stock? Secondly, I like the pain style of the Ralliart ones but they are not very easy to find. Most of the other styles like Hayame or Daiyama have a very long shaft and I don't really like that. Same goes for the 7 sided Kyokugen which seems like a pain. Not looking for security just want low weight and high strength.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Beware, you cannot use cone shape lug nuts for the stock Enkei wheels. Most of the lug nuts you listed above are cone shape.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

OK, I checked and the lugnuts are ball shape. So are there any vendors of quality, light, black, open ended, ball shape lugnuts? (What a mouth full.)

*Just thinking out loud here... WTF did Mitsubishi use the "custom" Enkei wheels and then make them OEM spec by changing the lugnuts shape from cone to ball? This gains them very little beyond they can share lugnuts with other Mitsubishi cars. I'm not really sure how big of a deal that would be to stock Evo specific lugnuts.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Since most aftermarket rims use cone shape lug nuts, I don't think many vender would make ball shape ones. You can try doing a search on lug nuts on google, you might find something.

As, to why use ball shape lug nuts, they probably want to save cost by sharing the same kind accross all their cars, also the cone nuts might not work with the spare wheel
Old Jun 14, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ball type? That just doesn't sound right to me since the contact surface of the lug is a flat washer. I've actually never heard of that type before, do you have some site you can point me to that illustrates a ball type lug?
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

iodine23, Here is a link to some ball type lugnuts. They call it spherical, but I have only heard the term ball before. All this name means is the shape of the lugnut base. You are however 100% correct in that our lugnuts are making contact with the washer and not on the base of the lugnut. I just removed mine just to refresh my memory on this. So our lugnuts are proprietary. I have never seen these types of lugnuts before, but this is my first Mitsubishi. So do the DSM cars use the same lugnuts?

Bottom line is we are more or less screwed on getting aftermarket lugnuts for this car. Guess I will have to get the Enkei WRC Tarmac wheels so I can get some proper lugnuts.

FYI, I'm starting to think lugnut is not the correct term and wheel nut is a more proper description. Lugnut is the old school design where it was the stud and nut together. A wheel nut is just that, it needs the stud from the hub.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

I had the lugs off today while I had a wheel off to take measurements for custom rims. And I had them all off for the tire rotation last weekend. So I'm pretty familiar with the odd nuts our cars have.

As a sanity check, I went to www.mcgard.com to see what they have in their application guide. Of course the Evo isn't in there, but their only applicaiton for all mitsus is a conical seat style nut.

I think you're right that our lugs are proprietary to the car/rim combo. You'll notice that the shank of the nut slides into the hole in the wheel for a pretty tight fit. I guess this probably really helps to center the wheel up, as if being hubcentric wasn't good enough. But the contact surface the nuts give is also very good, probably a lot more than your typical conical seat lug.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 05:00 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steel open-end flat seat lugnuts with a short shank for centering are available by order from any decent auto supply house. You will not find these in stock.
Cheers,