Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

AP 5555 caliper & 362mm rotor vs. Endless 6-pot racing caliper & 370mm rotor

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AP 5555 caliper & 362mm rotor vs. Endless 6-pot racing caliper & 370mm rotor

I'm going to order a set of front brakes in a few days but I can't make up my mind.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with AP or Endless. I can't find any real tech specs or first hand experience that give me enough information to base my purchase upon.

Can you guys shed some light on this for me?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

AP.........

No Rhyme or Reason just I know a helluva lot more professional racers use AP.

Scorke
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:23 AM

Endless is used a lot by professional japanese racers...

so maybe your back to square one...hahaha.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Advent7
Endless is used a lot by professional japanese racers...

so maybe your back to square one...hahaha.
Japanese professional race cars JGTC? Super Taikyu? Japanese rally championship?

Tell me where else they are widely used?

AP is used by V8 Supercars, DTM, TOCA, LeMans, F1, Indy, Champ, IRL, F3000....involvement in F1 alone gives them top honors IMHO.

Scorke
Old Aug 2, 2007, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally I would go with the AP setup, as you will have a far greater pad selection and possibly even disc selection than the Endless setup.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The other thing to consider is that a lot of the large front BBK's can actually increase your stopping distances by shifting too much bias towards the front. That's why if you don't plan on getting a 4-wheel system it's important to find something that maintains something close to the stock bias. Stoptech is great with this, as they use a universal caliper but alter the piston sizes for each application to fine tune the bias and achieve the shortest possible stopping distances. Alcon also keeps the brake bias close to stock so that's another good option. I don't know a whole lot about AP other than they are very well built and widely used (especially in the UK) but IMO the Endless kit works much better as a 4-wheel kit than if you put it on just the front.

-Dan
Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I think both set up are great. Can't go wrong either way.

But to me, Endless is more bling, bling, and AP is hardcore racer.

Isn't AP own by Brembo, that's what I read on one of the magazine.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HTML Code:
AP is used by V8 Supercars, DTM, TOCA, LeMans, F1, Indy, Champ, IRL, F3000....involvement in F1 alone gives them top honors IMHO.
How many EVO's do they sponsor racing ??
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

consider the Alcon system
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:08 PM

i agree with value. even though AP may be used in more racing venues, those venues don't have many, if any, EVO's running so the race experience factor isn't there for them. while braking systems are generally all the same, they stop your car, having actual track time/testing can help to develop a better braking system for a specific application. in this case, an EVO.

with that said, endless or upgraded brembos would be my recommendation.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
The other thing to consider is that a lot of the large front BBK's can actually increase your stopping distances by shifting too much bias towards the front. That's why if you don't plan on getting a 4-wheel system it's important to find something that maintains something close to the stock bias. Stoptech is great with this, as they use a universal caliper but alter the piston sizes for each application to fine tune the bias and achieve the shortest possible stopping distances. Alcon also keeps the brake bias close to stock so that's another good option. I don't know a whole lot about AP other than they are very well built and widely used (especially in the UK) but IMO the Endless kit works much better as a 4-wheel kit than if you put it on just the front.

-Dan
Endless brakes are engineered to maintain brake bais. Hence why they have a 12 piston 6 pad front brake kit for the EVO. Their full brake system 8 piston front 6 piston rear is a ultra nice setup... you can late brake all day long.

Project Mu has an equal setup and so does GREX/ALCON brakes. All three systems are available in multiple rotor setups ie slotted, dimpled, cross drilled, cryo treated, etc. All three also have multiple pad selections for your application.

I would go with plug and play then race. All three of the above can get you there with some bling.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by version 2 beta
Endless brakes are engineered to maintain brake bais. Hence why they have a 12 piston 6 pad front brake kit for the EVO. Their full brake system 8 piston front 6 piston rear is a ultra nice setup... you can late brake all day long.

Project Mu has an equal setup and so does GREX/ALCON brakes. All three systems are available in multiple rotor setups ie slotted, dimpled, cross drilled, cryo treated, etc. All three also have multiple pad selections for your application.

I would go with plug and play then race. All three of the above can get you there with some bling.
If the Endless kits really were designed to maintain brake bias, I highly doubt they would need to use a 12 piston setup up front. 4 or 6 pistons would provide plenty of cooling and pad life, not to mention more than enough torque. Their 8/6 kit is nice because they can fine-tune the bias within their system, but in terms of engineering the fronts to work with the stock rears it doesn't appear that Endless, Project Mu, and some of the other "bling" kits do it. If you can prove me wrong, I will retract my statement. We sell Endless as well so this is my unbiased opinion. Here is an interesting test that outlines just how big of an advantage a properly biased system can have.

http://www.stoptech.com/company_info...hallenge.shtml

Just some food for thought.

-Dan
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

I thought Endless only manufactured 6-pot front calipers for the Evo, where did you find they made 8 and 12 pot?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Maintaining brake bias is a good thing but I get a kick out of how companies use it as a selling point.

You can get a $3 valve and adjust the bias however you want. Turn it one way more fluid/bias to the fronts, turn it the other way more fluid/bias to the rears.

Take the "proper bias" marketing out of the equation and then make your decision. If it were up to me, I'd go with AP over Endless. From what I've seen there's nothing special about Endless, especially considering the price. Matter of fact Endless would be one of the last BBK's on my list..

*edit*

this isn't a shot at Stoptech imparticular, I love Stoptech stuff, and will probly get their 4 wheel kit for the 335i.

Last edited by Frenchy4g63; Aug 4, 2007 at 06:18 PM.