Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock wheels with long studs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Unless the info on Summit's site is wrong they say theyre not open ended.

Originally Posted by kaj
Found where I ordered from. Of course, they are "unavailable" now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015AMTGCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those in the link are actually the original Toyota lugs that this thread was solved by long ago, but since they are discontinued now we have uncovered other potential solutions. Even though the website says not open ended for the dormans, other online searches have shown pictures of the actual part being open ended.

I decided to order both dorman part numbers and compare them to see what works best for the evo. Will post here once I find out.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Nice! Keep us posted!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok Gents,

Upon doing more research today:

Under Head Length of ARP studs is: 76.2mm
Under Head Length of OEM stud is: 40mm
Therefore, ARP extended stud UHL is 36.2mm longer than the oem studs.

The factory wheel stud sticks out of the wheel approximately 10 mm (from base of lug nut, not the face of the rim. Measured with digital caliper).
Therefore, the ARP's will stick out 46.2mm out of the wheel from lug nut base.

If using a 20mm spacer, we can subtract that amount from the amount each stud will stick out.
Therefore, 46.2mm - 20mm = 26.2mm from base of lug nut.

The factory lug nuts are 36mm deep, but only about 20mm of that is threaded (which is fine and irrelevant). We have to keep in mind that about 10mm of the lug actually sits inside the wheel mounting hole. As a result, we can't assume that the entire depth of the lug is available to use outside the wheel.

If we take 36mm and subtract 10mm = 26mm.

What this means is, there is a chance that if you use 20mm spacers, you might be able to get away with factory lug nuts without have to cut them.

Only one way to find out....
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jul 14, 2018)
Old Jul 14, 2018, 04:13 PM
kaj

If you use spacers, that helps.. such as If I stick with RPFs. I thought they would work, but wasn't sure. Not sure I want to go with Enkeis again, though. Still, good info to remember. Thank you for doing this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
If you use spacers, that helps.. such as If I stick with RPFs. I thought they would work, but wasn't sure. Not sure I want to go with Enkeis again, though. Still, good info to remember. Thank you for doing this.
Anytime kaj ,

I just finished installing the ARP studs in the front of the car with 20 mm spacers between the hub and OEM BBS wheels. It Worked with oem lugs, but with only 3 to 4 mm to spare! I had to measure the thickness of the wheel itself where the studs pass through. Some stuff is hard to calculate and we just have to do it to see for ourselves.

When torquing the lugs, I don't feel any bottoming out or change in tension. There is actually enough room in the OEM lug nut to do this

So bottom line is:

If you have ARP wheel studs with OEM BBS wheels and a 20 mm spacer minimum, you CAN use oem lug nuts. 15 mm spacers will not work and you will have to buy a set of open ended lug nuts with a mag seat, just like the ones kaj and I were linking in this thread.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:03 PM
kaj

I have Evo VIII Enkeis on my car... curious to see if they fit. I'll test this week. If they don't, I have my open-ended lug nuts anyway. I'll report back as soon as I know.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I have Evo VIII Enkeis on my car... curious to see if they fit. I'll test this week. If they don't, I have my open-ended lug nuts anyway. I'll report back as soon as I know.
Sounds like a plan!

One final detail, the rear studs stick out a few millimeters more than the front. I was still able to fit the oem lugs, but just barely.

Results look great!

Edit: For all those wondering, yes I did go lower after taking this picture

Last edited by Pal215; Jul 16, 2018 at 09:33 AM.