Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Necessary to reuse OEM shims with new brake pads??

Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Necessary to reuse OEM shims with new brake pads??

Is it absolutely necessary to reuse the OE metal shims for my new brake pads? I have the hawk hps brake pads. I know these are known to make noise if not installed/bedded correctly.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:40 AM

bump for more info
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If they already have shims attached - no you do not need to reuse yours. I did not reuse mine on the HPS's. The did make noise after they had lots of heat in them, but only for one stop. After that they where fine.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have not used mine for over a year... no issues, no noise. Same pads as you (HPS)
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
it is recommended that you reuse the stock shims as well are using a copper grease to prevent squeaking and such
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

I used the high temp lubricant that came with the hps pads. Did not actually buy one at a local parts store. Finished putting them in today and squeal so much.....
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, it is highly recommended to re-use the stock shims. I used the aftermarket shims provided by Hawk and got major noise but mute everyting out by putting back the stock shims.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

use the shims that came with pads and use some anti seize or copper grease it will keep the noise the squeal away..
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thoroughly cleaned off the shims and used tons of hi-temp grease anywhere metal met metal when I put in my Ferodos. They've been absolutely noise-free.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
If they already have shims attached - no you do not need to reuse yours. I did not reuse mine on the HPS's. The did make noise after they had lots of heat in them, but only for one stop. After that they where fine.
Mine make so much noise!! Only under moderate pressure does it make any squealing sound. Light or heavy pressure is fine. I don't understand.....
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm interesting
i reused the oem shims with hawk hp plus pads
they are noisy when applying the brakes at slow speeds otherwise they are quiet- ie daily driving they are mad noisy
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The HPS pad is a hit or miss pad. The backing plate shape it stamped and in some cases can leave a sharp edge on the side of the pad and or be slightly too small for the caliper guides. The extra slop in the caliper is leading to excess vibration which transfers into squeaking as the noise resonates though your caliper. A lot of people use goo, shims and other things but what you are trying to eliminate is the vibration of the pad as it contacts the rotor while braking. If you have excessively squeaky pads check to see if your pad has play inside your caliper while installed. If there is excessive play then you should get new pads or return them. If your pads have play then there is really nothing you can do to fit them. Our Anti-noise shims have been known to quiet them down because as you apply repeated pressure to the brakes the cylinder inside the caliper will imprint the shape onto the Teflon coating on the shim making a stort of guide that keeps the pad from moving as the brakes are applied but it doesn’t work all the time.

Hope this helped.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

so which pads are best of both worlds? no squealing and a good bite?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magic Pads . With better initial bite then stock, they also have no dust and come pre-installed with our Anti-noise shims so they don't squeak ether. Pre-scorched so no "bed-in" procedure required.

If you looking for something a little more aggressive you can get Axxis Ultimate or Ferodo DS2500 and to eliminate the squeak you can get a set of the Girodisc Anti-noise shims.

We carry everything listed and its all in stock.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Axxis Ultimates on the stock shims. Pretty good for daily driving, and sqeaks once in a while under light braking. But you can't beat the price for the Axxis pads, got all four for about 135 shipped. Will try the Girodisc shims when I overhaul the brake system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Necessary to reuse OEM shims with new brake pads??