Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Broken rear ABS tone ring?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the axle after it's been taken off the car. You can see there is a little lip I had to grind down otherwise there is no way the reluctor ring would have gone on. The axle is sitting in the freezer right now and when I pull it out I will be hearing the new reluctor ring with a torch and slipping it on and drifting it into place. Once the super heated ring cools down, and the frozen axle warms up, the ringshould be very tight. I'll update later once this is completed. I'm also going to take some very fine grit sandpaper to remove the rust that is on the axle now.

Last edited by bsbllfit7; Aug 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 03:49 PM

Well I thought I had taken some pictures but when I got here to try to post them they aren't on my phone. Sorry for that everyone! With that said the process was pretty straight forward. I had to grind down that lip slightly more until it looked mostly flush. I then heated the ring and placed it on to the axle. I used a brass punch and drifted one side on and then the other. You can see it making small progress with each hit. Once each side was over the lip I went around in a circle a few times hitting the brass punch with a hammer to drift the ring into its final home. This thing is on there super tight, it will not be going anywhere. Also, these rings seem to be built significantly stronger than the factory ones. I will update once she is on the road and let you know if it fixed a code 24 for both the abs system, as well as the ACD.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 05:19 PM

Just an update of the car and abs/ACD lights. Got everything buttoned up and fired up, no lights are coming on any longer so I can confirm this fixed the issue I was having with a code 24 on both the abs and acd. I did bust the sensor olwhen trying to take everything off so I replaced both the abs sensor and reluctor ring. The ring was definitely toast though, it had a inch and a half section missing from the factory one.