Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Thanks to this thread, I decided to go with PFC01s up front and PFC97s out back (Which I'm ordering from GTWorx) for HPDEs on Star Spec tires.

Thanks, Smike.

Very welcome
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I decided to go with PFC01s up front and PFC97s out back (Which I'm ordering from GTWorx) for HPDEs on Star Spec tires.

Thanks, Smike.
Good choice, I run 97's daily. Next HPDE I'm run the 01's also, depends where I go.

I'm itching to go too because I just picked up the Sparco ADV F1 suit.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Good choice, I run 97's daily. Next HPDE I'm run the 01's also, depends where I go.

I'm itching to go too because I just picked up the Sparco ADV F1 suit.
Very nice. Andy at GTWorx said he leaves his 01s on his daily and they actually do have some bite when cold which is nice. I hate the idea of having to swap pads at 5PM after a track session when I'm 3 hours from home.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice. Andy at GTWorx said he leaves his 01s on his daily and they actually do have some bite when cold which is nice. I hate the idea of having to swap pads at 5PM after a track session when I'm 3 hours from home.
Is Andy running them just up front like you for DD ? ...or front and back too ? I know the PFC rotors handle the 097's pretty well for DD. 097's in the rear are a little tougher on the rear rotors (Centric slotted). I wish PFC would make some rear rotors for the IX to take the punishment a little better.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Little update:

GiroDisc blank rotors came in today - looked awesome. Installed and re-bed my front pads. Working fantastic.

Also installed rear Axxis ULT's - just like my front HPS that I took off, the rears were glazed over too. Now with the ULT's - the car has good bite on all 4 corners. Noticed decreased stopping distance. Especially on the freeway.

Last edited by Smike; Mar 24, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Is Andy running them just up front like you for DD ? ...or front and back too ? I know the PFC rotors handle the 097's pretty well for DD. 097's in the rear are a little tougher on the rear rotors (Centric slotted). I wish PFC would make some rear rotors for the IX to take the punishment a little better.
I'm not sure honestly.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Smikevo,
Where did you find the pads for that price? What do you mean by the Girodisc Black rotors?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Doh, typo - blank rotors.

I got the pads from GiroDisc also.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Not to thread hijack, but with regards to brake cooling, would running a water cooling, like IC spray to the inside of the rotors, help in any way with cooling? Or just cause thermal stress and crack the rotors?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

hey smike, hear I am bumping an old thread. I have been following your threads and all the info you have provided with regards to suspension and brakes has been awesome. just a quick question:

i currently have rotorpros drilled/slotted, SS lines, and HPS pads. I agree, the HPS's are absolute crap and I cant wait to get rid of them. looking for a new pad, already have a couple of ideas but wanted to get your valuable input. I will be autoX my car regularly with a couple of trips to the glen in the next few months. doesnt look like I will have enough money for a dedicated only track pad unless i stick with the HPS pads. do you have any recommendations of what pad would be good for the track use I will be doing? also, the car is DD. i want something that will stop extremely well bc the majority of the time i drive the car (DD) is simply when i go out and take some turns with my friends on some back roads. (sorry if thats confusing: car is DD but i dont drive it every day and wen i do its to go for a spirited cruise)

will a high temp track only pad tear through or warp the rotorpros pretty quickly? if not, would you suggest i just stick with the garbage hps and get a track only pad for the front? thanks again for all your knowledge, gl this season!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

boostedtres - thanks! Its ok - its sticked just for this

For street/AX, I really recommend the Satisfied GranSport GS5's. THMotorsports (one of our vendors) sells them for $120 shipped for the fronts. Great stopping bite and price.

For track days, you really should be on a dedicated track pad. Its not an issue of the track pads eating the rotors, its the pads not having bite until hot. Carbotech makes good track pads and they are reasonably priced. I have my Hawk HT10, also a good track pad.

For the rears, I just run one pad for both areas. The rears do not see a ton of heat, like the fronts do. It is important to match the bite to the fronts though. I am running the Axxis ULTs right now - uber inexpensive, high MOT, and great bite.

So math rundown - you are looking for $120 up front. $70ish for the rear. And $230-300 for the track fronts.

EDIT: for the future ditch the drilled rotors. They tend to crack under tracking (unless uber expensive ones).

Last edited by Smike; Apr 3, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks, great info
Old May 6, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I did my brakes (pads, SS lines, and a fluid flush) about 2 weeks ago, and plan to bleed the lines again later this week. Would it be ok to use the left-over ATE Blue fluid (container was opened 2 weeks ago, been sitting with the cap on ever since) or would it be best to buy new fluid and use that since it will be from a brand new sealed can? I know it begins to absorb moisture once the seal is broken, but could being open for only 2 weeks hurt it?
Old May 6, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Just curious as to why you are bleeding them again? Is there air in the lines?
Old May 6, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
I did my brakes (pads, SS lines, and a fluid flush) about 2 weeks ago, and plan to bleed the lines again later this week. Would it be ok to use the left-over ATE Blue fluid (container was opened 2 weeks ago, been sitting with the cap on ever since) or would it be best to buy new fluid and use that since it will be from a brand new sealed can? I know it begins to absorb moisture once the seal is broken, but could being open for only 2 weeks hurt it?
Nah, you are fine.

Quick Reply: The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread