Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smike, are you running those Axxis ULTs on all four corners? If so, what is your impression of them now? I've got my eye on a set and you're right, they are waaay inexpensive. I'm interested on how they're holding up.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Just running the ULTs on the rear. Up front I have Satisfied GS5s.

Car braked great at my last event (on r-comps too). Overall, like the setup.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Good choice, I run 97's daily. Next HPDE I'm run the 01's also, depends where I go.

I'm itching to go too because I just picked up the Sparco ADV F1 suit.
How do you like the PFC 97's for DD duty? I just checked their price on GTWorx's site, and it's close to $450 for the set!!!

-Jalal
Old May 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ23FE
How do you like the PFC 97's for DD duty? I just checked their price on GTWorx's site, and it's close to $450 for the set!!!

-Jalal
If you are not prepared for: dust, noise, ect... don't bother. ALSO a good brake stab every morning helps to get a little heat in them, and after the car gets washed. Not for the faint of heart. BUT if you do any out of the ordinary high speed runs, they are great. I won't go back to normal pads. I drive aggressive, hit apexes when I can ect... I hope that helps.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

If you are not prepared for: dust, noise, ect... don't bother. ALSO a good brake stab every morning helps to get a little heat in them, and after the car gets washed. Not for the faint of heart. BUT if you do any out of the ordinary high speed runs, they are great. I won't go back to normal pads. I drive aggressive, hit apexes when I can ect... I hope that helps.
Hmmm.... sounds like awesome results, but with high maintenance involved. I did 2 street runs with a friend of mine last night, and we reached high speeds to say the least. After brake boosting for both runs, and braking hard at the end to just quickly reduce our speed, my GiroDisc Magic Pads were done and faded for the next 15 mins. I had to creep around back roads barely using the brake to cool them down. They're also not wearing evenly on my rotors. I think I might try to reinstall them next weekend.

Regardless, last nights events has me looking for a more capable street pad. I love how they are low dust and low noise, but the fact that they cannot take 2 runs just kills me.... especially if I ever have to brake hard.

You recommend anything SWOLN?

-Jalal
Old May 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

If you are not prepared for: dust, noise, ect... don't bother. ALSO a good brake stab every morning helps to get a little heat in them, and after the car gets washed.
Have you figured out a good solution for cleaning of the PFC 97 brake dust? I am finding that the dust really gets crusty if you let it sit even for a single night after an autox and then the dust ends up rusting on the wheels!
Old May 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just dont' get the dust wet. I was thinking about taping up my wheels when using those pads.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Just dont' get the dust wet. I was thinking about taping up my wheels when using those pads.
I do try not to get the dust wet, and that does help. However, I was hoping someone might have found a paint-safe wheel cleaner that was strong enough to remove the crusted brake dust and resulting rust.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 286bhp
I do try not to get the dust wet, and that does help. However, I was hoping someone might have found a paint-safe wheel cleaner that was strong enough to remove the crusted brake dust and resulting rust.
I had some luck using this:
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/products/eraser.shtml

I couldn't get all of the dust off. Some of it was really caked on. But it got a good chunk of it off.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 286bhp
Have you figured out a good solution for cleaning of the PFC 97 brake dust? I am finding that the dust really gets crusty if you let it sit even for a single night after an autox and then the dust ends up rusting on the wheels!
PAM non-stick cooking spray before auto-x. If its for your DD then a light acid solution. Interestingly enough my front rotors, PFC's, don't have nearly the amount of sticky dust that my Centric rear rotors do. The rust is the rotors not the pads.

Last edited by SWOLN; May 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

PAM non-stick cooking spray before auto-x. If its for your DD then a light acid solution. Interestingly enough my front rotors, PFC's, don't have nearly the amount of sticky dust that my Centric rear rotors do. The rust is the rotors not the pads.
Interesting point! I too have centric rotors up front and just the stock rotors in the rear. The rust is only up front.

That said - when I was using stock brake pads on the Centric rotors I did not have the rust problem...perhaps the PFC97s are just aggressive enough to shave metal off the rotors.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I've used PF pads on stock, centric, and racing brake rotors. It's the dust from the pad material that cements when it's densely packed and gets wet. Which is why the dust cements on the lip of the wheel and not on the spokes or around the fender wells.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I've used PF pads on stock, centric, and racing brake rotors. It's the dust from the pad material that cements when it's densely packed and gets wet. Which is why the dust cements on the lip of the wheel and not on the spokes or around the fender wells.
That's a good observation. Any reason the PF rotors would show less dust, that you can think of ?
Old May 21, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Ran the PFC 01/97 combination last weekend at Shenandoah with Star Specs and was shocked by how much braking power I had. I intended to be on R Compounds but had an issue with getting a wheel in the wrong offset.

Anyway, they're definitely too much pad for street tires as I could trip the ABS very easily. Also, I noticed that if I caught up to a train and wasn't able to brake hard, they lost temperature quickly which didn't seem to hinder stopping power but they would becoming IMMENSELY loud on track.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I suppose you could have pulled the ABS fuse...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread