Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok ok, thread revival. I also use PFC 01 pads on my racecar and these are the easiest pads on the disks I've run from all others real race pads I've used. Ferodo, Pagid, Hawk and Mintex. So I assume that the material on the wheels is actually from the pads and not the disks. They are carbon metalic pads afterall. What I use is Welding Anti-Spatter spray and works beatiful. These pads also last the longest of all of them by a big margin. In a rally condition where you're sitting at the time controls for 30+ minutes at times and then start off cold the pads work from the get go, I was impressed. The Ferodo DS3000 were pretty good with that as well but these have more bite and last 3 times longer.

Yes ABS is for sissies, plus it destroys the pads if you're on it all the time and you lose braking efficiency by using it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've got an Evo X so would like to confirm that X's fronts are same as 8/9.

Anyone got an X that has some good rear brakes to offer? I want to be able to have DD/street and track pads available to use as appropriate, and the OEM Brembo ones for $300 F and $300 R are not good for either street or track (street -- too pricey; track -- not able to handle the heat).

Would also like to know if any of the 8/9 air dam guides will fit on my X? I have the aero package and the dang Mitsu dealer didn't tell me that guides were more-or-less required with that option. Boneheads.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

I use ATE super blue its the bang for the buck i get a liter for 15 bucks and its more then enough to bleed your break system
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve

Anyone got an X that has some good rear brakes to offer? I want to be able to have DD/street and track pads available to use as appropriate, and the OEM Brembo ones for $300 F and $300 R are not good for either street or track (street -- too pricey; track -- not able to handle the heat).

Would also like to know if any of the 8/9 air dam guides will fit on my X? I have the aero package and the dang Mitsu dealer didn't tell me that guides were more-or-less required with that option. Boneheads.
my cousin in his dd/track car uses hp + in his 97 328, my friend in his 07 s2000 uses hp + and his is weekend car/track and they where all very happy with the results. They perform on the track and street. I just bought them for my IX. Ill get them tomorrow so ill let you know how they are on the track and street (first time on the track). CVRmotorsports in the marketplace is selling them for 195 shipped front and back which is a steal
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve

Yep 8/9 will fit the X up front. And an adapter plate will be needed for the rears to work.

Please read on which are street pads and which are track pads. A lot of your second Q has be covered here.

Don't know on the glides. They bolt in. So unless there is a location to bolt those to, I would lean towards no.

LookThatsMe - HP+ are NOT track pads - period. You will go over their MOT and it can be very dangerous to your health. I do not recommend anyone run those on a track for their own life is at risk.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any pictures of the difference in brake lines that sometimes pop up on Evo 9's? I think I ran into this problem with the SS lines I am trying to install... the part that connects to the hard lines don't look the same as the stock lines. I can get a pic if you guys want.. I just want to make sure that is the issue before I call the company for a different set.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, here's a pic of what I'm talking about. The inside of the new line is pushed out which is not like the stock line that is pushed in. I hope that makes sense..

Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, that looks like what I have run into before. Technafit was aware of the issue and had a replacement to us in 2 days.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Cool, these are the Agency Power lines... hopefully the shop I got them from will work it out for me. Guess I'm putting the rubber lines back on for now. Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Been running the Raybestos ST43's from Girodisc as a track pad recently. Holy ***** these things are built by the gods of braking. Massive stopping power, great pedal feel with linear increase in torque and they are easy on the rotors. The rotors and pads look like new after a complete day on them.

This is game, set, match for me and track pads. I won't be using anything but ST43's.

I should mention that is in the front, I rock DS2500's out back. Works well.

Installing
Name:  102_0928.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  105.4 KB

After a full day of hard braking.

Name:  102_0947.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  128.8 KB

Last edited by jid2; Jun 23, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Updated some areas.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

The ST43s will be my next pad. I liked the PFC 01/97s but the 01s wore FAST. I got 7 days of tracking out of them but 2.5 of them were in the rain.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MrBonus
The ST43s will be my next pad. I liked the PFC 01/97s but the 01s wore FAST. I got 7 days of tracking out of them but 2.5 of them were in the rain.
Hmmm wearing fast is not something that goes in the same lines of PFC. Ferodo wears fast. Pagid wears fast, Hawk wears fast. PFC doesnt, and 7 days seems to be very good wear rates for such a high performance pad. You should run 97's in the front if you need better wear then. But I tell you right now, going to the raybestos pad is not going to make you happier than the PFC. If you want to keep the 01 braking power up front then you should also run them in the rear, because right now you're over braking the front if you run the 97's in the rear. The 97's have less friction than the 01's so by runing them in the rear you're actually increasing the front bias, which its already too front biased from factory. So by running 01's in the rear, it would take some of the "work" out of the front axle and keep the temps lower up there, in return you'd have even better stopping power and much better wear rates.

On a side note to wear rates, Ferodo DS3000 is the worse pad ever in terms of wear - in rally, they dont even last the whole event. And that's only 100 stage miles... You have to change them half way through!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Try the RacingBrake 800B for Street/Track or the 900C for Track only. Pete
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possibly a newb question, but should new shims be purchased when getting new pads??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread