Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What have you done to stop Brake Squeal? No opinions, please!! FACTs ONLY!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g63xawd
Hi Evolutionm!

I'm new to posting,

Problem #1
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:52 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone's "fact" will actually be an opinion, because they can only speak of what works for them. So you will have to take our opinions and determine what best applies to you. With that being said, I grease all contacts points, and always bed in my pads according to the manufacturer's instructions. Never-ever had a sqeal or sqeak!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone,

I'm new to posting to this site. What I am looking for is really BEFORE and AFTER. Especially, on the specific branded part you had used and you have changed. plus any specific tricks you put in.

Though I'm not looking for "add grease", try "this" and "that", "little research helps" . I have done TONS of research already. I need some SPECIFIC PARTS you use that helped.

If you never had a squeal before, you won't be able to help me here. Thanks so much for your kindness.

I apologize for my rudeness, this squealing really drives me nutz and my wife... and my neighbhors...... all are hating me......

Thanks, ANdrew
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You're not very helpful because I have tried this. NO OPINIONS, please!!! btw, I have tried this already. I have also read many of your post already, thanks for the recommendation, but just none of them works yet.
Re-read how many posts I have on this subject and suspension.

Its not just about parts but also grease/shims/anti-squeal. And thats not an opinion, go to a dealer/car shop/mechanic - they will put that one the car if need be.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your excellent useless info.
LMAO. Why would you want to stop brake squeal?
Old May 1, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

There really is no magical mystery secret advice for how to get rid of brake squeal. For stock/HPS type pads, you should be able to get a squeal-free install by doing the following, which I'm sure you already know:

Front: [PAD]|grease|[SHIM, rectangular (e.g. Girodisc or supplied with pad)]|grease|[ Anti-squeal shim, trapezoid shape]|grease|[CALIPER]

Rear: [PAD]|grease|[ Anti-squeal shim, trapezoid shape]|grease|[CALIPER]

Make sure that the anti-squeal shims are facing the correct direction. Mitsubishi also recommends greasing the edges of the brake pad backing plate. I do not do this. If you decide to try this, only apply a minimal amount, as you don't want there to be any chance of the stuff ending up on your rotors. I also religiously clean the pad and shims prior to re-installing/greasing them.

On my car, I use generic anti-squeal grease from Autozone, which works fine for street use. I tried the expensive stuff for track use, but all it does is make the shims look like pieces of charred toast.

HTH.

l8r)
Attached Thumbnails What have you done to stop Brake Squeal?  No opinions, please!! FACTs ONLY!!-evo_brake_pads_sm.jpg  
Old May 1, 2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks, your method is new to me. I haven't tried 2 shims yet all sandwiched by grease. I'll give it a shot as well.

I am actually ready to spend another $100 on a new set of pads... but it seems no one has an definite answer on what to do. Not even I know what rotors I really have as I bought the car used.. (I have some type of slotted rotors with very shiny surface. More of silvery surface and shiny one. that could be a cause of vibration, so I need a set of pads that go against that)..

Thanks,
Andrew
Old May 1, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

.02 cents

Just don't put grease on the rotor or the side of the brakes that push on the rotor. LOL This may stop the squeal but it could make it more difficult to stop or it could create a nice little fire. LOL
Old May 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my squealed all the time but it rarely does anymore idk if it's bc the brake pads are getting down to where they need to be changed.

why are you being a d*ck to ppl when you ask for help? get the stick outta ur a*s
Old May 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
SME
Evolved Member

I have Hawk HP Plus pads with slotted rotors... loud *** squeal. Heres what has worked for me...

Ignore and hope it goes away: Doesn't work
Cleaned brake pad shim: Doesn't work
Greased the shim: Doesn't work
Turn up radio: Partially works but still hear a little
Ear Plugs: So far the most affective application to get rid of the horrible squeal.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:11 PM

I need to create a new thread. This thread wasn't meant to get these responses. thanks. reread my post.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SME
I have Hawk HP Plus pads with slotted rotors... loud *** squeal. Heres what has worked for me...

Ignore and hope it goes away: Doesn't work
Cleaned brake pad shim: Doesn't work
Greased the shim: Doesn't work
Turn up radio: Partially works but still hear a little
Ear Plugs: So far the most affective application to get rid of the horrible squeal.
Thumbs up for this response. This is what I am looking for. HUGE Thanks. You have a great day!!!!

Andrew
Old May 1, 2009, 12:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Turn/replace the rotors and properly bed the pads. That has worked for me so far without issues. I don't even use disc brake quiet, just grease on the back of the shims and top/bottom of the pad "backing" (between the pad and the shim). While the pads are out make sure to clean the contact points with brake cleaner very well (including the top and bottom contact points.)
Old May 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to create a new thread. This thread wasn't meant to get these responses. thanks. reread my post.
Less happy about my deciding to post in this thread after reading that. Don't wreck a public place where people are trying to help you and the information is already there. GTFO and start your own forum to junk up where no one will help you.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

I JUST put those silicone anti squeak stuff and it only helps when cold, which is bit odd. But the squeak IS little better before and after. It did not completely took the squeak away.
I had stock pads, HP+ pads, Axxis ultimates, hawk blues, they ALL squeak(All bedded correctly), especially when driving at street on slow speeds(30mph to stopping) Higher speeds I notice less squeaking.

Quick Reply: What have you done to stop Brake Squeal? No opinions, please!! FACTs ONLY!!