Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Girodisc now has directional vane 1pc front slotted rotors!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice. Any data on how much cooler these run than their pillar predecessors?

l8r)
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll let Girodisc speak for their product, but I requested some feedback from one of our rotor engineers (I work for an OE brake company, not affilliated with Girodisc).

On the brake dyno, there isn't a huge gain at 'normal' speeds (assuming generic directional-vane rotors, not necessarily Girodisc design). But when you approach 100mph the directional vanes provide improved cooling, since the vanes act as a pump.

So, personally, I think this would be a nice improvement for a track car, or someone who does some hard canyon driving or the occasional auto-x or occasional track day.

My Evo is my daily driver, and I purchased these because they were about the same price as a similar-quality pillar vane rotor by other manufacturers. Plus, its nice to know there is a small improvement there if I ever decided to track the car.

I'd REALLY like to get a set of Girodisc's 2-piece rotors.............those things look beautiful, but for my application, it's difficult to justify.

Again, call Martin up with your questions. Great guy to talk to
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Detroit is right about about the cooling. Pillar vane is more for slower speeds and towing. Pillar vane allows for cooling of the rotor with just the ambient air in the wheel where as the directional vane requires air to come in though the center of the rotor and be forced out. Girodisc Directional vane rotors will provide better cooling at higher speeds and because the vanes are solid the rotor is much more resilient to warping or cracking under harsh conditions. To fully get the benefit of any directional vane rotor a duct kit would be the best route. Directional vane rotors need RPMs for help them cool themselves and they are much better at diverting the air evenly though the entire rotor as tey rotate so by adding a duct kit it helps the rotors cool much better and faster at much slower speeds as well as higher speeds. Pillar vanes still have their place in the world, they are cheap to make and they work well for street cars, but for the select few (more so with EVO owners) who use their cars for the proposes they were intended these rotors are the perfect step if 2pc rotors are just to much money or rotor to justify.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

You mention that a brake duct kit would complemented the directional vanes, does this mean that the rotor is designed to vent air from the hub out to the edges?

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
...the directional vane requires air to come in though the center of the rotor and be forced out...
... D'oh! Nevermind ... reading FTW.

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Jun 5, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Bump!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:23 PM

Is these still available at the intro price? How about rear rotors any plans for the same? Thanks- John
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can we get a picture of the back side where the air enters the rotor?

I'm curious how these compare in price and performance to your two piece rotor? How much are replacement disks for the two piece?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

So, at regular street speeds (below 100mph) will directional vane rotors not cool as will as pillar vane rotors or will the cool about the same with directional vanes getting the benefit of additional cooling at higher speeds. I daily drive my car so I'm wondering if this would cause the directional vane rotors to run hotter than pillar vane.

Also, a general question about your rotors. I like the fact they are lighter weight than stock but want to know if there is any decrease in strength. I was reading about light weight rotor produced by Dura International (not sure who produces Girodisc rotors) and wanted to make sure the slightly lighter Girodisc do in fact meet OE test requirements.

Here is a post of the note that caused me to think about this:

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/i...INAL%20(2).pdf

Thanks and I look foward to buying some Girodisc products.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

The Girodisc rotors will cool as good or better then the OE rotors when daily driving. Also these rotors are in fact stronger then the Pillar vane style because instead of a bunch of pillars (like a main hall in a cathedral) they have one solid vane running from the inside all the way to the edge. The weight savings comes from the vanes, because they don't need to be as thick. These rotors meet all OE test requirements and are 100% safe for both street and track driving.

Intro Pricing is still available.

They compare very well with the 2pc rotors as far as cooling but there are some features that 2pc has over the 1pc.

1pc rotors are not only heavier but when they do get the point that they start to heat up from excessive braking that will be more likely to warp/ crack as a normal 1pc rotor would. These have far better cooling capabilities then the normal 1pc rotors so it will take much more heat to cause this effect but all 1pc rotors and even 2pc bolted rotors have this problem. As the rotor heats up the material will grow. As the rotor grows out, it must also grow inwards equally. Even though the rotor ring and hat are of the same casting the hat portion of it will grow differently because it protrudes out. Whats happens is as the rotor ring grows in the rotor hat grows out and they push against each other and the energy has no ware to go. The energy will go outwards and over time fatigue the rotor into cracking or warping.

This is common with all rotors that are 1pc of bolted but our 2pc rotor is a fully floating design meaning that as the rotor pieces grow from the heat they are allowed to expand uninhibited by one another so they can grow and contract freely so the rotor will stay strait and true. Depending on your driving, if you track your car frequently most will tell you that a 1pc rotor will be used up before its min mill thickness is reached and it is because of this warping/ cracking from expansion. Almost all of our 2pc rotors make it to mill thickness before needing replacements. 2pc rotors are a lot to swallow as far as price initially but, if you track or drive your car a lot and are wearing out your rotors prematurely, then 2pc will cost you less in the long run because you will need to replace the rings less. We have had customers on the street get just over 60k miles on 3 sets of Ferodo DS2500s and just over an entire season of Ryan Gates "Blacktracks" aggressive driving helping him to win TTA nationals.

For most, these 1pc directional vane rotors are a perfect match to their needs. They will get them the cooling they need to stop warping their rotors, and at a price that's a lot easier to swallow. 2pc rotors are great, but they are not for everyone and we understand, so we bring products like these and our bailout rotors to fit everyone's needs.

We have a bunch in stock and ready to ship. This intro pricing is working pretty good so I think we are going to keep it as the standard price.

Last edited by Girodisc Martin; Jul 24, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Can we get a picture of the back side where the air enters the rotor?
I'm interested in this pic/explanation.

I think I'm not understanding how the directional vanes are working. In my mind the vanes would scoop the air with a forward motion and push it into the center of the rotor, not the other way around. (because the outside has more surface area and the outer part is moving faster).

Can you explain how the air gets pushed from the inside out? I'm just not getting it

*BTW* just ordered a set today!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

It works as a pressure drop. As the rotor spins it forces air out of the rotor creating a pressure drop inside of the hat air is drawn into the rotor from the center and forced out.

The curved vanes fall away as the rotor spins.

Essentially it mimics this effect:

The point in the center is where the air is drawn in and then is forced out as the rotor spins because of the shape and design of the vanes
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

We use these rotors on our Time Attack car and after we ran 3" cool ducts to the center of each rotor it is incredible how much air pumps through them. There is a ring effect created on the inner barrel of our wheels where air/dust coming through the center of the rotor and then out of the edge and plasters itself to the wheel. Pretty cool!

Dan
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ill bite PM me, im putting together a TT build for next season this looks like a win win for me.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

We are looking to buy 2 sets of Girodisc rotors but nobody answer us.
Is your factory still working? If it is yes, is there anybody who can read the emails that we are sending you?
Anyway I need the new address of the factory that can satisfy our necessities.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

We have not gotten an email from you thaty I can find. We do have more rotors comming so if you would like to send us a PM with your info or an email to Johann@girodisc.com I can get back to you asap.

Quick Reply: Girodisc now has directional vane 1pc front slotted rotors!