Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

safe for 5mm spacer on stock studs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
safe for 5mm spacer on stock studs?

anyone run a 5mm spacer on stock studs? anyone know if this is safe? On the stock wheel and lugnut, I counted 10-11 full turns. What is acceptable?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, that is totally okay. Per Motorsport-Tech.com custom wheel spacers, you need 6 or more full turns. I run a 3mm with plenty of extra stud. I would guess you could run a 7mm safely.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

where did you get a 3mm spacer?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

From Motorsport-Tech.com (pretty sure that is the correct website). They were custom made with hub centric rings on them. They are $90 a pair I believe. I was very happy with the finish of my 3mm spacers and 23mm adapters ($120 or so a pair).
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it is okay......even if you run 10mm, it is still okay! [: It will make your wheels/fronts more aggressive looking and also will perform better on the track.
But yeah, you should be good with no trouble at all!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

hahahaha, seriously? I'm not going to run 10mm.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
hahahaha, seriously? I'm not going to run 10mm.
I wouldn't... what are you trying to fit out of curiosity?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'm actually just looking to increase the current stance of my wheels. I'd like to go with a 10mm spacer, but I've been extremely strapped for time, so pressing longer studs is not a viable option I have.

So therefore I'm going to take the "lazy" route and see if I can safely get away with a 5mm spacer. The most "sport" I use my Evo for now is the occasional mountain road.

Which begs another question, what is involved with pressing in new studs? Do I have to press out the wheel bearings? ...or can I just remove the knuckle and press the studs themselves out?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm actually just looking to increase the current stance of my wheels. I'd like to go with a 10mm spacer, but I've been extremely strapped for time, so pressing longer studs is not a viable option I have.

So therefore I'm going to take the "lazy" route and see if I can safely get away with a 5mm spacer. The most "sport" I use my Evo for now is the occasional mountain road.

Which begs another question, what is involved with pressing in new studs? Do I have to press out the wheel bearings? ...or can I just remove the knuckle and press the studs themselves out?
If you remove the rotor you can hammer the stock ones out. Some people freak out about the wheel bearings, but if a gentle hammering damages the wheel bearings, something else is wrong. Putting new ones in is as easy as tightening a lug onto the new stud through the knuckle and torquing it (probably to 90-100ft-lbs but I am not sure). That install is per the Mitsu Service Manual. You could just buy a 10mm adapter with new studs for not much more than the spacers and it would be easier. I would prolly get a wider spacer than 10mm if it has new studs but thats me. good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

A better option is to get hub centric spacers with studs in them. They are stronger because each stud only has one shear plane and you get to have a 10mm spacer without having to use extended studs .win win!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

You need these http://www.201motorsports.com/produc...productid=1535.

No worry about studs and they fit snugly over the stock hub to make sure you squared up
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You need these http://www.201motorsports.com/produc...productid=1535.

No worry about studs and they fit snugly over the stock hub to make sure you squared up
Those do not have hub centering rings and they are not a great idea. I had Project Kics 20mm spacers which I returned (not big enough not because of the centering ring) but I am glad I dont have those. Especially when custom ones with a centering ring are cheaper...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

IMO a 5mm spacer on stock lugs is ... barely ... acceptable for street use. Definitely not for track (road racing) use.

l8r)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
IMO a 5mm spacer on stock lugs is ... barely ... acceptable for street use. Definitely not for track (road racing) use.

l8r)
I absolutely agree with you. I run a 4mm spacer and I installed 5mm longer studs. There would be no way id run more than a 3mm spacer on the stock lugs.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

^ yeah, I did the same thing. 5mm front spacer and 5mm longer studs.

l8r)

Quick Reply: safe for 5mm spacer on stock studs?