Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just got coilovers installed....car feels dangerous (not in a good way)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just got coilovers installed....car feels dangerous (not in a good way)

Ok, so I was all excited because I just got my coilovers installed (Gerrard-Spec Ohlins).

Here is what I had done:

Whiteline front sway bar.
Progress bar (previously installed) was moved to the "softest" setting.
whiteline spherical endlinks front and rear
Rear suspension has all the Works bushings except of the front and rear upper control arm.
Swarbar bushings
Front control arm bushing (Works)
Gerrard-spec Ohlins R&T--325# front, 450# rear--Pauls recco for a street vehicle

Here is what is not done:
Front roll center kit...still stock
Perrin PSRS (zero offset)...still stock
Works upper front and rear poly bushings

Now for what's going on...

Car has not been properly aligned. Not corner balanced. Toe could be fubar. Camber is set within a good ball park both front and rear.

Car feels unsettled, especially at speed. Feels like the rear is oscillating. Was coming down a hill today on the highway, and went up to 85 miles and hour and the car began to feel dangerously unsettled (at least to my untrained rear). Like I got nervous that the rear end could come around. Felt like the car was swaying back and forth. Steering response is almost hyperactive (I guess this is the front bar). Anything above 70 miles an hour is enough to make me worried.

So my question is this...how much of this is from having coilovers and how much of this will be corrected/correctable with proper alignment? I was going to get a Whiteline sterring precision kit, but I'm like "If my steering gets anymore 'precise' I am going to end up 18 lanes over when I sneeze."

Looking for some advice/help/pointers. I have a feeling some of this isn't normal, but want others opinions.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:10 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Erik, how are the compression and rebound settings and where do you have it set at? You might have to increase the compression adjustments a bit. Cornerbalancing isn't as important unless you're on the track, but I would recommend getting the alignment done asap!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

They're single adjustable and set pretty soft. 15 clicks from full stiff in the front and 13 clicks from full stiff in the rear. Maybe I will try increasing the click settings a bit, see if that helps.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:12 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must have the same R&T setup that I have. For the rates you're running, you should definitely turn the adjustments up alittle stiffer and see if the suspensions settles some. Front rates seem alittle soft imo. I've got 450s/550s, but haven't install yet!

BTW, do a review on the Works bushings whe nyou get a chance! I'd like to hear how they compare to the ES and Whiteline counterparts.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't get ahead of yourself and start thinking about parts you need to buy and damper settings etc. Maybe a few clicks stiffer in the front and rear to settle the oscillation.

Get an alignment with zero toe front and rear and reevaluate.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ALIGNMENT! ALIGNMENT!

I would almost guarantee you either have extreme toe-in or toe-out and are freaking out because of this. Also, double check ALL suspension bolts/nuts for proper torque settings as people tend to hand tighten everything and they aren't as tight as they need to be. Some bolts can loosen over an extremely short amount of time and then it feels dangerous.

Dan
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chu
You must have the same R&T setup that I have. For the rates you're running, you should definitely turn the adjustments up alittle stiffer and see if the suspensions settles some. Front rates seem alittle soft imo. I've got 450s/550s, but haven't install yet!

BTW, do a review on the Works bushings whe nyou get a chance! I'd like to hear how they compare to the ES and Whiteline counterparts.
The rates in the front and rear were recommended to my by Paul Gerrard himself. It is actually what he is running on his car now plus front and rear swaybars.

In the little I have driven the car, the Works bushings seem great. No noticeable squeaking. Haven't had the other stuff so I can't really do a comparo.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Don't get ahead of yourself and start thinking about parts you need to buy and damper settings etc. Maybe a few clicks stiffer in the rear to settle the oscillation.

Get an alignment with zero toe front and rear and reevaluate.

- Andrew
Ok. Duly noted. Thanks Andrew. I am such a suspension newb
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

No worries! Don't worry about damper settings just yet....also remember they really aren't there to affect steady state cornering. They can change how the car behaves on turn in and exit. But for massive balance changes, they're not what you should use.

Have fun!

- andrew
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get an alignment. When I swapped suspension, my car felt like a boat once I got to 50mph and above. Everytime I would try turning the wheel in one direction the car immediately jerked into the opposite direction... scary stuff. Went for alignment, my toe was crazy off.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Car has not been properly aligned. Not corner balanced. Toe could be fubar. Camber is set within a good ball park both front and rear.

Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure that your height is even on all 4 springs? If that's way off, it can make the car really unsettled...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 18bora
I like this post. I can appreciate my newbness in this area.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lumpskie
Are you sure that your height is even on all 4 springs? If that's way off, it can make the car really unsettled...
We double checked ride height from fenderwell to the floor. The rears were at 26" and the fronts were at 25.5". These are within the specs as put out by the Vishnu/Gerrard-Spec set-up sheet.

I am glad that this is "normal." I know I need to get an alignment, I just had no idea not having one can make things as bad as they are

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Feb 2, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

that's a nice ball park to be in.

- drew

Quick Reply: Just got coilovers installed....car feels dangerous (not in a good way)