Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Problem - 2001 JDM Mitsubishi EVO VII

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Problem - 2001 JDM Mitsubishi EVO VII

My brakes are feeling mushy...

I need some help/advise. New brake pads and braided brake lines were installed. Brakes were bleed, in order as per service manual, outer nipple (first) then inner nipple (second), topped back up brake fluid, then moved on to next brake. Brakes were bleed until no air was seen in lines. Mounted back tires, went for a test drive, brake pedal has mushy feeling and brakes are not grabbing tight.

Put car back on jackstands, bleed everything again, no air was seen at all. Brakes are still mushy.

Not sure if I have air in my ABS? The master cylinder may have got too dry when I installed the lines, I did not top it up after every line and some fluid leaked out when each line was changed. All lines are tight and snug, there are no leaks anywhere.

Any advise on how to get the brakes to work again? Want to have it ready for Time Attack event next Saturday.

Tried EVOScan to activate the ABS actuators, but it does not work yet.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mysta Joe
My brakes are feeling mushy...

I need some help/advise. New brake pads and braided brake lines were installed. Brakes were bleed, in order as per service manual, outer nipple (first) then inner nipple (second), topped back up brake fluid, then moved on to next brake. Brakes were bleed until no air was seen in lines. Mounted back tires, went for a test drive, brake pedal has mushy feeling and brakes are not grabbing tight.

Put car back on jackstands, bleed everything again, no air was seen at all. Brakes are still mushy.

Not sure if I have air in my ABS? The master cylinder may have got too dry when I installed the lines, I did not top it up after every line and some fluid leaked out when each line was changed. All lines are tight and snug, there are no leaks anywhere.

Any advise on how to get the brakes to work again? Want to have it ready for Time Attack event next Saturday.

Tried EVOScan to activate the ABS actuators, but it does not work yet.
You still have air in the system somewhere. Keep bleeding until it is gone. Also, tap the calipers firmly with a rubber mallet just before bleeding again. Multi-piston caliper have all sorts of nooks and crannies that air bubbles like to get trapped in. A good whack with a mallet help shakes them loose.

Chris
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

bleed the master first have some one in the car and bleed the lines coming off the master sound like you got air in the master if you didnt clamp off the lines and let the master go dry. try that and then go and bleed the rest of caliper again
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

also dont know these systems to well i know on toyota's you have to have the vehicle on to bleed the abs pump and bleed the caliper like that