Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune Auto 500 or 510 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about these, I'm buying in on coils soon for the first time- these were a top contender on my list.
Damn-near first pick.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB
Well I did it....went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers with 10k/12k rates valved for track/autocross use.

I've been on my Buddy Clubs for 150,000+ miles, hopefully I'll get that kind of reliability out of these. They should certainly do better than my off the shelf Buddy Clubs with the 10k/10k rates. I plan to have the car corner balanced when I get them put on. I never had that done with the Buddy Clubs, but I did do a good job of setting them up based on just driving, feeling, and adjusting.

I weighed the car once at an autocross and my cross weights were very good from what the suspension guys there told me. I also posted 3rd fastest time of the day on street tires behind guys on R comp slicks, and ahead of some others on R comp slicks, so I guess I didn't do too bad lol Once I get them installed and have a chance to do some driving on them I'll do my best to post a review better than "WOW these let me slam my car to the ground, and now the car feels like it's on rails!" like most of the others i've seen lol.
ODUB can you share your experience with the FA coilovers?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

We never hear complaints when they sell to a customer. FA is a great compnay overall with a great product and when you factor in the cost they are hard (if not impossible) to beat.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
both my friends with Evo X's have them. one has the 500 series and the other has the dreadnought series and they both ride good!

i think i may consider these
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Has anyone bothered to run a pair or complete set of these on a dyno?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

might pick up a set this week my self
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Has anyone bothered to run a pair or complete set of these on a dyno?
Fortune did

500 Series:

510 Series:

maybe someone who can read dyno graphs can break these down and tell us if they would be good for street and/or track use? (one or the other, or both)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
It's good to see a vendor providing dyno plots. If they are to be believed, the adjustments are more-or-less linear and equidistant, which is a good thing.

That said, it is the vendor providing dyno plots, and it's only for a single damper. I was hoping someone had run a pair of dampers so we could get a look at how they match up from side to side and get some independent verification of Fortune's plots.

Looking at a pair of dyno plots tells you how well the adjusters on the dampers match across units. This is where a lot of cheaper dampers fail, as consistency requires proper machining and quality control. If 3 clicks on the left side is relatively slow while 3 clicks on the ride side is much faster, you're going to have some interesting (read: bad) behavior. I would much rather use a pair of non-adjustable dampers that matched than a pair of cheap dampers that differ.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
to expand on what you said, what does it mean 5 sweeps from jet closed? jet open?

at first i thought it was the damper fully closed/open and then 5 sweeps = 5 clicks, but the 500 series are 24-step (24-click?) and so 30 sweeps wouldn't match up..
Old Jul 4, 2012, 03:27 PM

I have Drag spec 500's and they are awesome. Very high quality product. I would buy them again without a doubt.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the FA 500's on my old EVO that I sold, and I liked them a lot. Had them corner balanced, went with 10k front/12k rear springs, and they handled great. I have to give a shout out to the Buddy Clubs too though, EXCELLENT coilovers. I put 150,000 hard miles and a LOT of racing on them, and never had them revalved, rebuilt, no leaks, nothing. I pulled them off the car, cleaned them up and sold them, and as far as I know the new owner still loves them.

When I get ready to do suspension on the EVO IX MR I have now, I'll be getting another set of FA 500's or whatever new set is out at the time. I never got a chance to autocross or track my other FA's before I sold the car, which SUCKS because I'm sure they would have picked up speed over the Buddy Clubs because the rates/setup were better.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:53 PM

My friend has them on his EVO 9, I might just get some later. Too broke right now. Lol. Thanks for the info tho!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Based on the dyno plot, the 510's are more digressive. That would be my choice. Still needle type valving though..

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Mar 21, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Anything more recent?

Hey guys,, sorry to bring back such an old thread.

Does anybody have anything more recent to say about the FA coil overs? I found my car has blown struts, so looking at my options and oem type kyb/bilsteins are so expensive that these start to make sense.

Where are people finding the best prices and customer service for purchasing these?

Any help, info and/or advice you can provide, will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JCG
Old Aug 11, 2015, 01:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by evoVI_PR
Hey guys,, sorry to bring back such an old thread.

Does anybody have anything more recent to say about the FA coil overs? I found my car has blown struts, so looking at my options and oem type kyb/bilsteins are so expensive that these start to make sense.

Where are people finding the best prices and customer service for purchasing these?

Any help, info and/or advice you can provide, will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JCG
Bought my FA510's from MAP & got a very fair price. If you have questions about specing the proper FA C/o call Terry direct at FA & he will work w/you on what you should order

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 or 510 coilovers