Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*

There is very little info on this forum about Hankook's Extreme Summer Performance tire, the Ventus RS3. Anyone with first hand knowledge about how these compare to RE11's, Advan AD08's, or Z1 Star Specs? So far from what I have read, people seem to be very pleased with these tires. It's kind of a shame that tire rack did not do a test/full review on these tires. I also know that some people are hesitant to run these simply because they are Korean made. Also, if anyone are using these for track, what size are you running on your Evo? Size seems pretty limited as far as 18" go, I only see a 245/40/18 and 265/35/18. No 255/35/18..................
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll say this... I saw these tires in action at my last autocross, and they are FAST. that's about all i know. as far as wear for DD duty, I can imagine they aren't as good as the Z1's or NT05's (that's what I run) because they are a 140 treadwear compared to a 200 for the two I named. I'm looking forward to someone reviewing these too. like i said though, after seeing them in action, I'd like to pick up a set for the track, if not to DD them.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These tires are incredibly fast in both autocross and track day settings. They also wear extremely well. I have never DD'd these tires, but my friend has on his 07 Civic SI as well as autocrossing them and says they are amazing, but limited sizing is a problem. We use 255/40/17

Dan
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on picking up a set of these in spring to try them out. They seem promising.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

I tried out the RS2's many many years ago... I wasn't impressed by them. Back in the day when the Azenis 615s ruled the land...the RS2s weren't up to that task. The tire felt unstable when pushed hard as well, and not as much grip as the 615s, and weren't good in the rain at all. However it had sharper turn-in/response on the track than the 615s. Overall I wasn't impressed and soon after went back to the 615s.

So I guess what i am saying I am unsure about giving the RS3s a shot when I was so disappointed in the RS2s years ago. Perhaps they have made large improvements in the tread compound..who knows. I considered the RS3s myself, but I just ordered a set of NT05's as I know they are a proven tire. Like you waiting for some proof before I go after em.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

These seem like a good tire, I have run the z1 star specs, they were great, however they blistered so i will never buy them again, i have since run toyo r1r's they are in my eyes better then the z1s. These are also a 140 tread tire. They lasted 4000 miles with a full season. Not bad for $141 shipped
http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Prox..._P4718C885.cfm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I'll say this... I saw these tires in action at my last autocross, and they are FAST. that's about all i know. as far as wear for DD duty, I can imagine they aren't as good as the Z1's or NT05's (that's what I run) because they are a 140 treadwear compared to a 200 for the two I named. I'm looking forward to someone reviewing these too. like i said though, after seeing them in action, I'd like to pick up a set for the track, if not to DD them.
What makes treadwear an indication of a tires performance? There is really no industry standard as what UTQG manufactures can stick on their tires. By your method a treadwear rating of 140 would indicate to actually be a grippier tire...Half the reason why some of those tires are above 140 is to meet other regulations.

I suppose they are fast but not having consistent times to compare with or seeing another car running them doesn't make them fast. I have seen guys at autoX's tear it up with all seasons and 500 UTQG tire ratings. Just thought I'd point this out.

There are a few grassroot reviews floating around on the web and they received "okay" ratings. For their price I'd stick with NT05's even with their shallower tread depth they are a better tire...perhaps except rain. Trust me when I say NT05's are not confidence inspiring in the wet...nor were they meant to be for that matter though.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
I have seen guys at autoX's tear it up with all seasons and 500 UTQG tire ratings.
skill level is everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrXw...layer_embedded
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran a set on the track yesterday. They compare favorably to the Z1, RE11, and AD08. The sizing is very limited, which is part of the reason you don't see them much in the popular STX/STU classes.

The 255/40/17 is a great tire, but I want MORE.

They're very inexpensive though...

d
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

What makes treadwear an indication of a tires performance? There is really no industry standard as what UTQG manufactures can stick on their tires. By your method a treadwear rating of 140 would indicate to actually be a grippier tire...Half the reason why some of those tires are above 140 is to meet other regulations.

I suppose they are fast but not having consistent times to compare with or seeing another car running them doesn't make them fast. I have seen guys at autoX's tear it up with all seasons and 500 UTQG tire ratings. Just thought I'd point this out.

There are a few grassroot reviews floating around on the web and they received "okay" ratings. For their price I'd stick with NT05's even with their shallower tread depth they are a better tire...perhaps except rain. Trust me when I say NT05's are not confidence inspiring in the wet...nor were they meant to be for that matter though.
treadwear is usually a pretty good indication of tire compound, and grip. softer, stickier compounds will wear faster, and therefore have a lower treadwear number. the tread pattern also has a lot to do with overall grip, and what some manufactuers will do is use a soft compound, but a tread pattern that's good in both wet and dry conditions. in this case, the soft compound makes up for the lack of optimal tread design for dry weather, just as the pattern will make up for the lack of optimal tire compound for wet weather.

but typically, a 200 treadwear tire will easily out grip a 300 treadwear tire. you can't say that treadwear isn't an indication of compound composition because it is. that's why slicks have a treadwear of 50, compared to street tires that have 200.

anyway, I saw guys go from the Z1's to these, and their times in relation to mine was closer. I also talked to some of the guys who made the switch, and from the guys I talked to, they said that they were faster on the RS3's. I'm just sharing my experience. if you've got a problem with that, then that's your problem. from what I saw, these tires are fast.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
treadwear is usually a pretty good indication of tire compound, and grip. softer, stickier compounds will wear faster, and therefore have a lower treadwear number. the tread pattern also has a lot to do with overall grip, and what some manufactuers will do is use a soft compound, but a tread pattern that's good in both wet and dry conditions. in this case, the soft compound makes up for the lack of optimal tread design for dry weather, just as the pattern will make up for the lack of optimal tire compound for wet weather.

but typically, a 200 treadwear tire will easily out grip a 300 treadwear tire. you can't say that treadwear isn't an indication of compound composition because it is. that's why slicks have a treadwear of 50, compared to street tires that have 200.
As mentioned above, there's no standard for treadware. Manufacturers rank tires relative to their own products. As such, a 200 tire from one manufacturer can wear considerably longer than a 200 tire from another.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

anyway, I saw guys go from the Z1's to these, and their times in relation to mine was closer. I also talked to some of the guys who made the switch, and from the guys I talked to, they said that they were faster on the RS3's. I'm just sharing my experience. if you've got a problem with that, then that's your problem. from what I saw, these tires are fast.
I have no problem with your post... I was just pointing out a few things I have seen. Since there is not industry standard that dictates UTQG ratings a manufactures interpretation of this car vary greatly. Been discussed a few times before.

Your original post contradicts what you just said unless I am misunderstanding you. You stated the RS3 being a treadwear of 140 isn't as good as Z1's or NT05's since they are 200 UTQG. Thats what confused me and I was pointing out. I think most are aware of softer compounds equals fast times in most cases. I guess I was trying to clarify that one tire being 140 and the other being 200 is far from the only indication of a tire being fast.

I agree with you on all fronts though on your last post...probably my sub 3hrs of sleep not helping my reading comprehension so well this morning
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have no problem with your post... I was just pointing out a few things I have seen. Since there is not industry standard that dictates UTQG ratings a manufactures interpretation of this car vary greatly. Been discussed a few times before.

Your original post contradicts what you just said unless I am misunderstanding you. You stated the RS3 being a treadwear of 140 isn't as good as Z1's or NT05's since they are 200 UTQG. Thats what confused me and I was pointing out. I think most are aware of softer compounds equals fast times in most cases. I guess I was trying to clarify that one tire being 140 and the other being 200 is far from the only indication of a tire being fast.

I agree with you on all fronts though on your last post...probably my sub 3hrs of sleep not helping my reading comprehension so well this morning
by "good" in my original post, I meant that the RS3's weren't as good for DD duty because they will wear faster. As far as speed, I said that they are BETTER than the Z1 and NT05's. I think you just misunderstood my original post.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I overlooked the "DD" portion. That would be my bad.

On another note I might be trying them out soon. My NT05's are getting down there and for 255's these and XS seem attractive. Not sure if I want to pony up for AD08's or just drop to NT01's and say hell with it though.

Last edited by dbsears; Dec 27, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Been a great tire thus far. I'd agree, similar to the RE-11's.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus RS3 *Merged*