Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Is2scooby

SO much good info. Thanks, Astro Train!that

I'm leaning towards the TE37's in a +38, but now that I know they need a spacer I'm also considering a fallback alternative...

Does the brain trust think that these would fit without work?

18x9.5 ET+38 Rays Gram Lights 57DR or perhaps even the 8.5" version...

I love this wheel and dont see it often on 8/9. I would #57dr on instagram to find evos with them and ask questions. I found a guy username autoeuphoria that has these wheels in 17x9 +38. He stated that it needs a minimum of a 5mm spacer up front with a small fender roll on 245/45 bf gforces
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Jun 5, 2018)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalleg
I love this wheel and dont see it often on 8/9. I would #57dr on instagram to find evos with them and ask questions. I found a guy username autoeuphoria that has these wheels in 17x9 +38. He stated that it needs a minimum of a 5mm spacer up front with a small fender roll on 245/45 bf gforces
Yeah, for sure a nice looking wheel but the +38 is a bit on the high offset & will not give you the fullness, we all like, in a lower offset
Is2scooby (Jun 5, 2018)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalleg
while I do not doubt what you saw posted on Instagram... a 5 mm spacer to clear up front just does not add up. Reason I say this is the 57DR is a cast wheel. The cost effective way to offer different offsets but not having to change the face, is to make one mold, then add backspacing to lower offset. This can easily be done through milling of the hub of the wheel. That is why the 17x9 has the same face regardless of whether you choose +12, +22 and +38. The chart for this wheel in the 17x9 says it must be a +22 to clear the front Brembos on Evo8/9... so with a +38 and a 5 mm spacer, this would only increase the backspacing by a small fraction to +33.. it would require more like a 16 mm spacer to "mimic" the same offset as the +22. The link below takes you to the chart for this wheel.

https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/product...=en&wheel=57DR
Old Jun 5, 2018, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
while I do not doubt what you saw posted on Instagram... a 5 mm spacer to clear up front just does not add up. Reason I say this is the 57DR is a cast wheel. The cost effective way to offer different offsets but not having to change the face, is to make one mold, then add backspacing to lower offset. This can easily be done through milling of the hub of the wheel. That is why the 17x9 has the same face regardless of whether you choose +12, +22 and +38. The chart for this wheel in the 17x9 says it must be a +22 to clear the front Brembos on Evo8/9... so with a +38 and a 5 mm spacer, this would only increase the backspacing by a small fraction to +33.. it would require more like a 16 mm spacer to "mimic" the same offset as the +22. The link below takes you to the chart for this wheel.

https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/product...=en&wheel=57DR
rays is only giving you information on what wheel will fit what car. they aren't give you minimum offset requirements. all that tells you is that out of those 3 offsets, the +22 and +12 will fit, while the +38 will not. we don't have information on how much caliper clearance a +22 has or how much clearance is needed to make a +38 fit on an evo. according to that guy on instagram, it sounds like the +38 is several mm shy of fitting without spacers
Old Jun 5, 2018, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil.evo
rays is only giving you information on what wheel will fit what car. they aren't give you minimum offset requirements. all that tells you is that out of those 3 offsets, the +22 and +12 will fit, while the +38 will not. we don't have information on how much caliper clearance a +22 has or how much clearance is needed to make a +38 fit on an evo. according to that guy on instagram, it sounds like the +38 is several mm shy of fitting without spacers
  • [ MARKS of BIG CALIPER CLEARANCE ]
  • ※Big caliper clearance marks are not suggestions for fitment

^^that is posted on every wheel sizing chart on Rays site... its the exact opposite to what you are saying which I highlighted in yellow.. they only indicate caliper clearance. They do not suggest fitments because these are aftermarket wheels and it is up to the individual to figure out the fitment to their liking.

The 18x9.5 +22 sizes are measured almost exactly the same and I have mounted a set on a 9 and there is maybe a 3-4 mm difference between caliper and spoke.

see post #8 in this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o9-anyone.html

Unless the guy on Instagram had the backspacing milled by a machine shop, 38 is a long cry from 22... when it comes to Evo 8/9 fitments, 16 mm while not out of question to run a custom spacer up front that size, it is quite big. Enough to make some folks consider getting the +22 and just rolling the fender in the rear.

you want to trust someone on Instagram before you spend $1500-2k on a set of wheels? Go ahead.

I've tooled around with Rays wheels for over 10 years on the 8/9/X and they have changed very little in regards to sizes and offsets.. The CT9A is not the friendliest when it comes to wheel fitments.. Mitsu clearly gave it some good thought when they designed the X. The calipers allow for more clearance and the fenders are enormous... but that is another topic.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
  • [ MARKS of BIG CALIPER CLEARANCE ]
  • ※Big caliper clearance marks are not suggestions for fitment

^^that is posted on every wheel sizing chart on Rays site... its the exact opposite to what you are saying which I highlighted in yellow.. they only indicate caliper clearance. They do not suggest fitments because these are aftermarket wheels and it is up to the individual to figure out the fitment to their liking.

The 18x9.5 +22 sizes are measured almost exactly the same and I have mounted a set on a 9 and there is maybe a 3-4 mm difference between caliper and spoke.

see post #8 in this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o9-anyone.html

Unless the guy on Instagram had the backspacing milled by a machine shop, 38 is a long cry from 22... when it comes to Evo 8/9 fitments, 16 mm while not out of question to run a custom spacer up front that size, it is quite big. Enough to make some folks consider getting the +22 and just rolling the fender in the rear.

you want to trust someone on Instagram before you spend $1500-2k on a set of wheels? Go ahead.

I've tooled around with Rays wheels for over 10 years on the 8/9/X and they have changed very little in regards to sizes and offsets.. The CT9A is not the friendliest when it comes to wheel fitments.. Mitsu clearly gave it some good thought when they designed the X. The calipers allow for more clearance and the fenders are enormous... but that is another topic.
let me clear up some misunderstanding--i only mentioned caliper clearance in my post, so i was only referring to caliper clearance when talking about "what fits" because i assumed that's what jwalleg was talking about when he mentioned the front spacer, so what i stated still holds true in that sense. our front fenders are a lot more friendly to lower offset wheels compared to our rears, and the issue of caliper clearance is the most common when referring to fitment for the front

from post 8 on that thread, it does look like there isn't that much caliper clearance for that offset (looks like a +22).

i looked at autoeuphoria's instagram and saw that he has quite some poke for his fronts--a lot more poke than i would expect from a +38 with 5mm spacer.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil.evo
let me clear up some misunderstanding--i only mentioned caliper clearance in my post, so i was only referring to caliper clearance when talking about "what fits" because i assumed that's what jwalleg was talking about when he mentioned the front spacer, so what i stated still holds true in that sense. our front fenders are a lot more friendly to lower offset wheels compared to our rears, and the issue of caliper clearance is the most common when referring to fitment for the front

from post 8 on that thread, it does look like there isn't that much caliper clearance for that offset (looks like a +22).

i looked at autoeuphoria's instagram and saw that he has quite some poke for his fronts--a lot more poke than i would expect from a +38 with 5mm spacer.
misunderstanding? You’re misinformed and had no experience with this wheel. And then you play guessing game cause someone said something on Instagram?

I posted on the dude’s Instagram and he responded with a 10 mm barely clearing. And Rays suggest 3 mm in addition for spoke flex. So now you’re at effective +25. This is why Rays designs this wheel for proper caliper clearance at +22 to clear for the CT9A.
I rather you admit “I don’t know” then to carry a vague argument trying to justify what dude was running on his car.

I dont claim to know everything but if I don’t know I just won’t comment. This thread is about giving members researching set ups accurate information, not speculations on what someone said on the internet.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Jun 9, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey does anyone know if Ray Gramlights 57CR in 17x9 in either +22 or +38 will clear rotors and require guard work? If not which one will offer the 'best' fitment?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Callum Gracie
Hey does anyone know if Ray Gramlights 57CR in 17x9 in either +22 or +38 will clear rotors and require guard work? If not which one will offer the 'best' fitment?
Not sure about the caliper clearance. Very unlikely the +38 would clear the front Brembos. Possibly the +22 would?

You can certainly fit-up the +22's, but you will need a rear fender roll & a slight rear fender pull & the bumper bolt relocation, running a 255 or 265/40 tire

The +38 is our stock offset so no work needed rear or front

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 13, 2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like I'm SOL on getting a set of Volk ce28SL in 17x9.5+28 they are out of stock. So now looking at Volk ce28n in 18x9.5+28, and wanted to check with you guys to see if you guys know if that rim size will have the deep dish long rim look?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by city
Looks like I'm SOL on getting a set of Volk ce28SL in 17x9.5+28 they are out of stock. So now looking at Volk ce28n in 18x9.5+28, and wanted to check with you guys to see if you guys know if that rim size will have the deep dish long rim look?
Heres an example of the 18x9.5 +28 (Takata Green) as it was noted. One of my favorite RS pics of all time

Great wheel but the standard rear fender work is needed. If you know what tire size I can do the layout for you

The following 2 users liked this post by MinusPrevious:
city (Jun 14, 2018), Is2scooby (Jun 18, 2018)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

good question as the lip size on CE28SL are somewhat different depending on offset. When you look at Rays size chart for this wheel (see link below), you want a rim that has the L (Long) Rim. The SS rim is the short version and will have a skimpy lip. In the past Rays did not actually display this on their site. They started doing it with the RE30. The odd thing is that some sizes are missing which were previously available on the CE28N. For example under the 18x9.5 sizes, there are +22 and +35 (Both of these are SS (Short) Rim and have the smaller lips but do have the concave spokes...) but gone are the +28 and +34 which tells me the molds of the SL are different than the CE28N since the spokes change and its not just backspacing.

IF YOU WANT CE28N in 18x9.5... From personally owning or knowing friends running them the following all have the same lip. +34, +28, +24, +22, +15. As for the spokes... all +24 and below have the most concave for this size. The spokes dive in toward the center. The +28 and +34 have more flat spokes but are still somewhat different among themselves. So to make this all less confusing... look for CE28Ns in 18x9.5 +28 like MinusPrevious posted and are still being produced. The +34, +24 (CE28RT only) and +22 are no longer being produced for the CE28N. Like I said earlier, the CE28SL DO NOT COME IN +28 in 18" size per their size chart. If you go with the 17x9.5 +28 SLs, the chart does not show them as clearing the calipers. So keep that in mind. And I have never seen this size and offset on a CT9A. My bet is to stick with the 18x9.5 +28. Tried and true spec and will look nice. Search it here on the forum... plenty have ran it in the past. Good luck and hope this helps you.

CE28SL Spec Chart https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/product...n&wheel=CE28SL

CE28N Spec Chart https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/product...&wheel=CE28N10
city (Jun 14, 2018)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I plan to run 255/35/18 tires with the 18x9.5+28 ce28n. So need to roll the rear fenders. Will a rear fender pull and rear bumper bolt relocate be needed running gtworx springs and stock bilstein shocks, also will rally armor mudguards clear with this setup?
MinusPrevious (Jun 14, 2018)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 04:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I plan to run 255/35/18 tires with the 18x9.5+28 ce28n. So need to roll the rear fenders. Will a rear fender pull and rear bumper bolt relocate be needed running gtworx springs and stock bilstein shocks, also will rally armor mudguards clear with this setup?
Heres your setup vs mine. You will need a tight rear fender roll to avoid the pull. The bumper bolt is going to be close but you may need to move it rearward. If you were going to run a wider tire (265 or 275) for sure, the rear fender pull will be needed

I measured your proposal vs mine as I needed all the rear fender work tricks to get my setup to work w/out rub
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with MinusPrevious 100%. GT Worx are a very mild drop on the Evo 8/9. 20 mm front and 15 mm rear so this will give you added buffer and shouldn't cause rubbing. Especially with 255s. GTWorx designed the spring from a functional standpoint and not a crazy drop. Even the Swifts lower the car more than the GTs.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Jun 17, 2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions