Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EVOX vs EVO 8/9 caliper pics

Old Apr 24, 2018, 06:50 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
EVOX vs EVO 8/9 caliper pics

Could not find direct pics of 8/9's vs X's

Caliper body looks pretty much the same size.
Piston size looks the same.
Takes the same brake pads.
EVO8 calipers look beefier around back side of pistons (at least where the Brembo sticker is).
EVOX calipers look thicker on caliper halves, in area past pistons.

Overall, not as different as I was thinking.

The following users liked this post:
evil.evo (Apr 25, 2018)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks for posting. I always like comparing stuff.

Even though they look close, they are not interchangeable, correct?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They can be swapped on with minimal work.

Here's the thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...evo-8-9-a.html
Old Apr 25, 2018, 09:33 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Thanks for posting. I always like comparing stuff.

Even though they look close, they are not interchangeable, correct?
Directly interchangeable, no.

But you only need to drill out mount holes from 12 to 14 mm, get new bolts
and larger rotors (and obviously 18" wheels).

I guess the larger rotors (12.6" to 13.8") and the thicker caliper webbing
(stiffer, absorb heat a bit better???) make a big enough difference on the track,
not sure it would even be needed on the street. I own the stuff now, but not sure I
would have ponied up for the X stuff, if I had seen direct comparison anywhere else
of the calipers

this article on stock IV vs X is encouraging

"its larger Brembos, which “allowed for braking much deeper into turns,” according to Nagl, feel stronger and easier to modulate than before;"

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mitsu...on-comparison/
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i should have taken better pics when i had both - https://qlmotorsport.com/2017/12/30/...-x-brake-swap/

i did this swap over the winter break, and have been very impressed with its performance. easier to threshold, mash on the pedal, etc, and the pedal just feels firmer. i'm willing to bet the caliper itself is stiffer, which is obviously a good thing. i'm NOT a mechanically inclined person at all, but was able to drill the holes with relative ease.
KOOLER (Apr 26, 2018)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had Evo X Brembos on my previous IX exactly as an initial winner setup (Alcon steel pistons rust and where I live they put some aggressive liquid on tarmac to fight ice, so I decided I want to have different set of brakes for winter and summer). Well, with a respray/rebuild I did (just to do all-new), new Performance Friction rotors and decent pads (PAGID RS29?) they came close to $2,000 which is close again to Alcon moboblock 6-piston setup If you don't plan rebuild, have salvaged X rotors it might be an inexpensive upgrade. I've ended up with upgrading Alcons with titanium pistons (set was around $200, custom-made from Russia) to keep all-year brakes. Before going RS brakes and 15" rims for winter

From my POV having 18" and X Brembos for winter isn't something you want to do, there's too much of braking power on ice and snow you don't want it... RS OEM "gravel" brakes (2 piston fromt / 1 piston rear) and a set of 15" wheels + tires with studs is a way to go. I got my RS brakes (all-new, TRW rotors and Ferodo2500 pads) for <$800 which is a bargain IMHO. Fronts are easy to find on eBay, rears are actually more expensive and hard to find (15" rims don't play well with rear 2-piston Brembos, but there are ways to go).

Originally Posted by kyoo
i should have taken better pics when i had both - https://qlmotorsport.com/2017/12/30/...-x-brake-swap/

i did this swap over the winter break, and have been very impressed with its performance. easier to threshold, mash on the pedal, etc, and the pedal just feels firmer. i'm willing to bet the caliper itself is stiffer, which is obviously a good thing. i'm NOT a mechanically inclined person at all, but was able to drill the holes with relative ease.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by KOOLER
I had Evo X Brembos on my previous IX exactly as an initial winner setup (Alcon steel pistons rust and where I live they put some aggressive liquid on tarmac to fight ice, so I decided I want to have different set of brakes for winter and summer). Well, with a respray/rebuild I did (just to do all-new), new Performance Friction rotors and decent pads (PAGID RS29?) they came close to $2,000 which is close again to Alcon moboblock 6-piston setup If you don't plan rebuild, have salvaged X rotors it might be an inexpensive upgrade. I've ended up with upgrading Alcons with titanium pistons (set was around $200, custom-made from Russia) to keep all-year brakes. Before going RS brakes and 15" rims for winter

From my POV having 18" and X Brembos for winter isn't something you want to do, there's too much of braking power on ice and snow you don't want it... RS OEM "gravel" brakes (2 piston fromt / 1 piston rear) and a set of 15" wheels + tires with studs is a way to go. I got my RS brakes (all-new, TRW rotors and Ferodo2500 pads) for <$800 which is a bargain IMHO. Fronts are easy to find on eBay, rears are actually more expensive and hard to find (15" rims don't play well with rear 2-piston Brembos, but there are ways to go).
that's a lot of work and air introduced to swap brakes - i don't drive my evo in the winter anyway
Old Apr 26, 2018, 07:39 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
that's a lot of work and air introduced to swap brakes - i don't drive my evo in the winter anyway
Me neither. I got a Fusion Sport, which is a surprisingly competent DD car,
with a couple mods.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total noob question. Is the X on top and previous on the bottom (hose attached)?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 06:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by myrt
Total noob question. Is the X on top and previous on the bottom (hose attached)?
Yes. Top is evo X front brake caliper. Bottom (one with hose still attached) is evo 8/9 front brake caliper.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Since the Evo X caliper bolts on the 789 spindle after drilling the bolt holes to 14mm, would a big brake kit for an Evo X bolt up to a 789 with the same mod? The bolt location should be the same and the rotor offset is the same, so the adapter would bolt up and everything should line up, no?

Last edited by RS200; Dec 8, 2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yes. Would just need to drill the knuckle just like installing X calipers.
RS200 (Dec 8, 2019)
Old Dec 8, 2019, 09:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting the X rears to work still hasnt been done yet im guessing?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Double post somehow.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phaz3
Getting the X rears to work still hasnt been done yet im guessing?
It has - it involved oblonging the existing holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVOX vs EVO 8/9 caliper pics