Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bad cv joint? Now with pics AND video

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
RESOLVED : Bad cv joint? Now with pics AND video

RESOLVED : Turns out it was just a bolt missing in the passenger-side motor mount!

UPDATE 06/02 : Car will be taken to a local shop sometime this week to confirm whether it's a wheel bearing.

Hey guys,

Last Monday I noticed a small clicking/grinding sound when turning left. Since then it has gradually gotten louder. From the searching I've done so far it appears to be the passenger side cv joint that needs to be replaced, however I've checked the dust boots for cracks and the joints for play, both of which are not the case. Tomorrow I will record some video of the sound to get some more opinions, but until then, I'd like to see if anyone notices anything unusual in this pic.

Both wheels are jacked up in the air. Just from looking at it I have the impression that the part that connects to the LCA on the passenger side has a sharper angle than the driver side (green lines). The same can be said for the angle of the cv joint's dust boot (red line).

Does anyone see anything that doesn't look right? As mentioned, I'll get a sound clip of the grinding tomorrow.

[pic removed as it ended up being irrelevant]

vid 1 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RweWGnwCMic

vid 2 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9TZGrm-jA

Last edited by Raptord; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think the droop of the suspension when the car is lifted is determined by the strut. I don't know why their would be a difference but maybe you should look there.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I will hypothesize that it could be a worn bushing or one of your wheel bearings is wearing out. Check the hub for excessive play and use a lever to see which bushings bend easily.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

I checked the wheel bearings by trying to shake the wheel with the car jacked in the air, there was no play at all. Could it still be the bearing?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
is the clicking/grinding while under power or even coasting?

if it's under power only then it's likely the cv, if it's all the time it's probably the bearing.

the cv joint will sound like a spring unbinding constantly, i don't know exactly how to explain it but it's much different than a wheel bearing

a wheel bearing will sound like a 6"x6" steel beam being dragged across a garage floor, just a constant grinding noise
Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

It happens both under power and when coasting in gear. Coasting in neutral doesn't do it.

As promised, here's the video. "This" appears when the sound in question is occurring, however there are other places in the video that it'll pop up very briefly which I haven't indicated. You'll probably need to turn the sound up to hear it as the GoPro mostly gets engine noise. The noise is a sort of metallic grinding. (Note that I'm NOT referring to the whining from the tranny when in first gear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RweWGnwCMic
Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think it is a ring and pinion problem. But since the Evo has three that is not much help.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I think it is a ring and pinion problem. But since the Evo has three that is not much help.
As in a problem with the front diff/transfer case?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:17 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CV joint you can test when it is unloaded. I had significantly damaged CV joint in my EvoIX recently, but it was solid when the front arms were fitted. Once tech took them from the car and tried the joint unloaded it became clear it is fully broken. But that same joint felt solid when everything was together and loaded (either car on the floor or lifted).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
As in a problem with the front diff/transfer case?

Drain the transfercase and check its magnetic drain plug for excess metal. But front diff I believe shares fluid with the trans (?) so you might want to drain that too and check the fluid for metal particles under sunlight.

Also did you check for grease on your CV boots? Sometimes cracks are hard to find but the ensuing grease isn't.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Tranny and TC have seperate fluids. I'm due for doing the TC and rear diff either way so I guess I'll try and do the TC this weekend.

Don't see any grease on the cv boots, I do see some on the bushings connected to the LCA's though.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Bumping for more answers... have another video up where you can hear it a bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9TZGrm-jA
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Is it on one side more than the other? Check to see if your axles popped a little bit out of the trans/tcase. Get under the car grab a hold of the CV joint near the trans/tcase and try your best to pull it out with your hands. It shouldn't move 1mm. Usually it takes 2 pry bars.

If it is the axle popping out then its kinda urgent. You'd need to pop it back in. If its on the drivers side you'll definitely end up draining your trans because you need to know if its the half shaft or the axle only that popped out. So you'll have to pull out the entire thing. (ask me how I know )

Also check for brake lines vibrating against things, exhaust piping, undertray, loose anything.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I put the gopro on the driver's side and you can't hear it at all.

Draining the t-case today to check for shavings, I'll try and wiggle the cv joints around while I'm under there.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

More info:

Drained the t-case oil. No sign of any metal shavings. Put fresh oil in and the sound persists.

Circumstances which cause the noise to manifest:

When in gear (be it on-throttle or off-throttle and engine braking):

- going straight
- turning left (worse than going straight)
- when the suspension gets compressed from a depression in the road it gets worse.

When I turn right it stops.

When in neutral or in-gear with the clutch disengaged it stops completely, even if I'm turning left and encounter a dip in the road.

I'll be dropping off the car at a shop this week and let them have a go at it.

Quick Reply: Bad cv joint? Now with pics AND video