Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Energy Suspension bushing replacement!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
I dont have all the dies so sometimes i just punch out the rubber parts then use a jigsaw to notch the metal bushings and deform them with a cold chisel. I did this to my engine mounts, and mustache bar
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just picked up this kit to install this week. I will surely document and include a copious amount of pictures.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed a full bushings kit on my evo 8. i have white line and energy bushings. the only time they make noise is when i jack up the evo to change the oil or work on it. i can see that if your putting them in a longer travel suspension vehicle they may make a bit of noise. these bushings took the handling to a all new level, i would say my evo handled like a Honda and now it handles like a sports car(like it should).

I installed these with an hf 20 ton press and it only took a after noon. the only thing i would worn you about is the bolts on the lower a arms they are really on there. if you don’t have a impact that’s able to to more than 1200 flb. i had to take the car to my mechanic (the guy that dose the work that i cant). the lift was all i really needed but all went well and my mechanic didn’t charge me much. the tires ware way more even. all and all this is the best add on to my evo 8 sense my fp red.

to lube the bushings is pretty easy i just got a Grease Injector Needle, Fits Standard Grease Gun Couplers lube, its for lubing my air gun, but the lube is difference. all i have to do is just poke the bushing from one side and lube it up. works great.

link for the injector needle http://www.truevalue.com/product/Gre...keyword=grease
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this to my GSX, it was intensive as far as labor. but not really hard. a good tip is to lube the bushing and inner race of the part to have the bushing pressed in. and then lube the sleeve bushing and press it in and then anti-seize the inside of the bushing sleeve along with the bolt so no corrosion happens.

another tip is that i sprayed the bolt with dry lubricant and allowed them to dry. they will never rust!!!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how did these end up working out for you? I've never actually used them and see them all the time at local parts retailers.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:01 PM

I just wanted to say good job and it looks like you really took your time and painted everything up nice.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Anyone have a good technique for removing the horizontal bushings from the LCA? I've got a shop press, but the dimensions on the LCA is preventing it from lining up straight.

Hand press?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Goglo, I did mine with a shop press just fine. See if you can put something under to elevate the LCA higher so it can be positioned better.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I also couldn't find any setup at my work that I could effectively get to that bushing with a press. I ended up using a piece of all thread, nuts, washers, and two tube pieces to pull it out. Small tube (1.345" OD) that passes through the control arm on the rear side, larger tube (1.5" ID) on the front side. Put the front nut in a bench vise and rotate the whole arm to get the most leverage. It sucked. Mitsubishi sure used a small thickness of metal on the outer diameter of that bushing.

Last edited by Terror Rising; Feb 11, 2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I know what you mean. I had to carefully position it with the arbor plates in such a manor that the hole on the bottom was large enough to press out the old bushing but also hold the actual LCA. It took a lot of re positioning but I was able to finally pop it out. This was on the control arm that I had to cut out due to a seized LCA bolt so I still have to push out the ones on my car currently.

What are you using for a dye? I rented the ball joint master service kit and actually used a little too large of a dye top push it out and it got stuck in my LCA. I had fun getting that out. Luckily it was already scrap metal so it wasnt a big deal but when I do it for real I need to make sure I use a proper dye.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by chu
Goglo, I did mine with a shop press just fine. See if you can put something under to elevate the LCA higher so it can be positioned better.
It took a lot of geometry and tetris with sockets and dies, but I was finally able to get them out.

Originally Posted by terror rising
I also couldn't find any setup at my work that I could effectively get to that bushing with a press. I ended up using a piece of all thread, nuts, washers, and two tube pieces to pull it out. Small tube (1.345" OD) that passes through the control arm on the rear side, larger tube (1.5" ID) on the front side. Put the front nut in a bench vise and rotate the whole arm to get the most leverage. It sucked. Mitsubishi sure used a small thickness of metal on the outer diameter of that bushing.
The horizontal cylinder is tapered? ****, I wish I had known that it would have made a big difference when pressing out bushings since there is a good chance I might have pressed it out the wrong direction.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I know what you mean. I had to carefully position it with the arbor plates in such a manor that the hole on the bottom was large enough to press out the old bushing but also hold the actual LCA. It took a lot of re positioning but I was able to finally pop it out.
That was my exact problem last night. It took lots of patience for sure.

What are you using for a dye? I rented the ball joint master service kit and actually used a little too large of a dye top push it out and it got stuck in my LCA. I had fun getting that out. Luckily it was already scrap metal so it wasnt a big deal but when I do it for real I need to make sure I use a proper dye.
It's just the kit that they have at O'Reilly's, I think it's this one:

I had that EXACT same issue last night. The largest cylinder was a perfect size for the pillow ball bushing, but then it was fused in the LCA. I ended up pushing it back out far enough to then use the PSRS to push it completely out the other side.

Name:  1610107_10152628706822796_1947034937_n_zps3ca1ee8b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.4 KB

Last edited by golgo13; Feb 11, 2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I R DUMB
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
The horizontal cylinder is tapered? ****, I wish I had known that it would have made a big difference when pressing out bushings since there is a good chance I might have pressed it out the wrong direction.
No, the cylinder isn't tapered. The bushing and 1.345"OD tube had to pass cleanly through the control arm and into my 1.5" ID tube.

Why did you choose the zero offset bushing for the rear?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out. I wasn't reading carefully enough as I thought you were originally talking about the big donut gasket but obviously by stating the horizontal one you mean the one that is horizontal or parallel to the ground

I suppose I could do exactly as you did and use the new bushing to pop it out however I then may not have the proper dye to push it back in as itll still be stock in the LCA. I guess since the Perrin bushing is solid I could use a smaller socket to pop it back in; I just assumed I'd use the same size dye.

Ideally the proper dye would have ~1/16" smaller diameter than the diameter of the LCA such that it wont get stuck in there but the next size down in the kit was too small. I may just go to home depot with the spare LCA that I have and find a steel pipe or something to use instead.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Ideally the proper dye would have ~1/16" smaller diameter than the diameter of the LCA such that it wont get stuck in there but the next size down in the kit was too small. I may just go to home depot with the spare LCA that I have and find a steel pipe or something to use instead.
Yeah, I'm borrowing a shop press but if I owned one, I would spend the money and get one of those fancy shop die sets with all the different diameters and ****.

No, the cylinder isn't tapered. The bushing and 1.345"OD tube had to pass cleanly through the control arm and into my 1.5" ID tube.
Ah, I misunderstood.
Why did you choose the zero offset bushing for the rear?
My Vorshlag plates add caster and camber.

Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Yeah, I'm borrowing a shop press but if I owned one, I would spend the money and get one of those fancy shop die sets with all the different diameters and ****.

Ah, I misunderstood.

My Vorshlag plates add caster and camber.

Vorshlag plates add caster by moving the top of the strut towards the back of the car. This has the effect of bringing the front wheels closer to the back of the wheel well which is one of the first limitations of larger/wider tires.

The positive offset spherical bushing rotates the LCA towards the front of the car moving the tire forward in the wheel well. This creates more clearance for wider/taller tires.

Doing one and not doing the other, does not make much sense. The only downside to the positive offset rear bushing is that it creates a "less happy" angle on the front bushing making it hard to install/remove and also creating a bit of additional unintended suspension stiffness and stress on the LCA.

My top plates are caster adjustable and I set them for as much caster as possible without rubbing on the back of the wheel well. As in, I keep adding caster until I only slightly rub at full lock on both wheels.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension bushing replacement!