Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Single best handling modification CT9A.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-11 will do
Old Mar 6, 2012, 04:15 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This turned into an interesting thread. From my POV, the best handling mod is the one that allows one to go faster. I realize that I'm kinda stating the obvious, so bear with me. As mentioned countless times, the driver is the biggest barrier; our cars are extremely capable. As such, anything that gives more confidence to the driver and allows his to explore the car's performance envelope with more ease is the the mod to shoot for. For my driving style, this amounted to a set of F/R anti-swaybars. YMMV
Old Mar 6, 2012, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
This turned into an interesting thread. From my POV, the best handling mod is the one that allows one to go faster. I realize that I'm kinda stating the obvious, so bear with me. As mentioned countless times, the driver is the biggest barrier; our cars are extremely capable. As such, anything that gives more confidence to the driver and allows his to explore the car's performance envelope with more ease is the the mod to shoot for. For my driving style, this amounted to a set of F/R anti-swaybars. YMMV
I tend follow this train of thought--best single handling mod for any speed--is a rear bar. You notice it immediately and at all speeds, slow or fast. This was my first mod, followed by bushings as started-- The last mod I will make is the front bar---will do with clutch because of location.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Except for the new fluid you have to put in it, which costs more than zero dollars. Still, very cheap!
well if you do it when the fluid needs to be changed anyways, it's free.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
I tend follow this train of thought--best single handling mod for any speed--is a rear bar. You notice it immediately and at all speeds, slow or fast. This was my first mod, followed by bushings as started-- The last mod I will make is the front bar---will do with clutch because of location.
I did not find the addition of a larger rear bar to be confidence inspiring per-se. It did make the car feel more responsive, but when combined with the rear diff mod, almost too responsive - to the point where I definitely have to be on the lookout for oversteer when I'm pushing the envelope. Good for the track, but IMO a bit of a PITA on the street.

l8r)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear bar is a very noticeable change in handling.
But if you can't push your stock chassis 100% and you have to modify it to "compensate" for a "lack" of driving ability then where is the actual help coming from. I'd rather fix the "problem" by increasing my driving skill/ability than patching it with a modification. Just my 2 cents.
With that aside, I believe tires are the number one factor in Handling. Every single modification listed before requires the tires to contact the road properly.
Going back to my previous statement, r-comp tires will make you faster, but will also hide your driving mistakes. That is why everyone suggests learn you car on grippy street tires before stepping it up to r-comps, to unleash the full potential they have to offer.

I suggests a nice set of tires and a season of autox and you will understand what modification you personally will need to fit your specific driving style and comfort.

Cheers,
CB
Old Mar 6, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, quite interesting about the rear diff. and can totally understand why it was done that way.. no complaints. I will be changing all my fluids coming up shortly and would like to know if it is beneficial to do on a daily driven street car that will never see the track. And, how would it perform in wet conditions ?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Re stack your rear plates. Seriously - Eliminates understeer. This is completely FREE and the best mod to to. Get to birds stoned at once. I don't know the comparison between stacking your rear diff vs paying shep $350 to do it for you.

Rear diff/Driver mod
Driver Mod

You need to get a feel for your car before you buy stuff for tuning. If you ever watch best motoring you will see all these tuners slap crap on their car and they handle worse. Make sure you aren't just part slapping your car without properly tuning your suspension.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

FWIW, I had just a Hotchkis rear bar. Really didn't like it on its mid setting on the street; the car felt unsettled and subtracted from my confidence level, if anything. It felt better to me on its lowest setting (~10% stiffer than stock). The matching F/R bars feel eons better. It's a positive difference on an order of magnitude, keeping in mind one's individual diving preferences. I've come to the conclusion that I'm (personally, as a limited-skill driver) MUCH quicker in a car that tends to push at the limit. I can control the car with more ease and bring it back in line. As such I tend to explore its limits more readily, as the confidence level increases. Ultimately, I think that successful suspension modifications come down to knowing and accepting one's limits as a driver.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:13 AM

No writeup in the "how to" section for the rear diff plate mod? Anyone know of a write up anywhere else?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
bushings? sway bars? bump-steer kit? - I did at same time as bils n gtworx. amazing.

1.5-way rear diff? still on my list

what my reasearch here has produced.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-factory.html
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
FWIW, I had just a Hotchkis rear bar. Really didn't like it on its mid setting on the street; the car felt unsettled and subtracted from my confidence level, if anything. It felt better to me on its lowest setting (~10% stiffer than stock). The matching F/R bars feel eons better. It's a positive difference on an order of magnitude, keeping in mind one's individual diving preferences. I've come to the conclusion that I'm (personally, as a limited-skill driver) MUCH quicker in a car that tends to push at the limit. I can control the car with more ease and bring it back in line. As such I tend to explore its limits more readily, as the confidence level increases. Ultimately, I think that successful suspension modifications come down to knowing and accepting one's limits as a driver.
a level of push at the limit is better in my opinion than too much oversteer and i quite agree with you that it is faster,i actually like a car thats on the looser side but i found on the road course that its definetly faster time wise but feels faster when the car was looser,id like my car to be fast and on the loose side but my times have proven otherwise
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I did not find the addition of a larger rear bar to be confidence inspiring per-se. It did make the car feel more responsive, but when combined with the rear diff mod, almost too responsive - to the point where I definitely have to be on the lookout for oversteer when I'm pushing the envelope. Good for the track, but IMO a bit of a PITA on the street.

l8r)
Good point--when combined with the diff mod---which I havent done as yet, Clutch pack is on the work bench though. As for the rear bar, I have an adjustible one--set on middle hole for the track , drove it on the track several times could never get the rear to rotate---which made me concentrate on my driving style as I knew it wouldnt come around-- My recommendation was to add a rear bar as it effects driving at all speeds not just fast driving or track time. I drive mine on the street at the stiffest setting and it works very well for me and how I drive---then again--most on this forum could be my kids. That doesnt mean I dont drive my car-- I may change my mind after the diff mod---thanks for the heads up.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:15 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Good point--when combined with the diff mod---which I havent done as yet, Clutch pack is on the work bench though. As for the rear bar, I have an adjustible one--set on middle hole for the track , drove it on the track several times could never get the rear to rotate---which made me concentrate on my driving style as I knew it wouldnt come around-- My recommendation was to add a rear bar as it effects driving at all speeds not just fast driving or track time. I drive mine on the street at the stiffest setting and it works very well for me and how I drive---then again--most on this forum could be my kids. That doesnt mean I dont drive my car-- I may change my mind after the diff mod---thanks for the heads up.
[OT] I've often thought about starting an over-40 Evo owner thread on General. Maybe it's time. [/OT]
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
[OT] I've often thought about starting an over-40 Evo owner thread on General. Maybe it's time. [/OT]
OP--sorry for the side conversation--

FJF-- I saw in an earlier post of yours that you had a few years under your belt! I try and respect that. I have been building and moding cars myself for more years then most--too many years. The over 40 thread sounds like a good idea just for the simple fact that experience would hopefully rise to the top of the conversation instead of sinking to the bottom behind opinion. (this statement is unrelated to this thread) Let me know if you decide to move forward!

Quick Reply: Single best handling modification CT9A.