Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear suspension clunk (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rear suspension clunk (pictures)

Pretty much since i bought my evo, i have been chasing a clunking noise over rough surfaces that sounds like it comes from the passenger rear side. it sounds like the exhaust (cobb) is hitting something, so last year i changed over to poly exhaust hangers, with no change. The exhaust is super sturdy, unless my resonated test pipe (megan) is hitting the drive shaft or something. also at one point i suspected my swaybar moving in the mounts, but i think that can be ruled out at this point.

the suspension (bilsteins with gtworx was installed by the previous owner with the help of a well known suspension person on this forum i believe, so im somewhat confident that everything was lined up correctly. but what i have discovered is this (see pictures)

does something look wrong? both look tightened equally (looking at the piece showing above the main nut) but yet the drivers side looks to be crushing the bushing much more? does it look like the passenger side needs to be tightened?

passenger side

drivers side
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Yeah, thats definitely been flopping around by the looks of its position and the dust all around it. I may have been drinking but I cant for the life of me remember the assembly of the rear strut.

If no one responds by tomorrow Ill pull one of mine I have sitting on the shelf apart to see if I can see whats missing. I also probably have what ever your missing, free of course, cause I have several set of things from both the Evo and Galant (Evo suspension swap).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

ill paypal you beer money if you solve this! it has bee driving me up a wall. of course i have yet to try the simple solution of tightening it more.

the rubber dust also concerns me. ive gone over the evomoto pictures twice (also while drinking lol) and it looks like something couldnt have been forgotten otherwise it would be really effed. so i dunno. i have no idea how much thread is on that top shaft either so...

so friggin angry...you should see the tune that was on the car on top of this suspension install now.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take that beer money

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
ill paypal you beer money if you solve this!
yea that rubber dust in the top picture looks wrong, I'm thinking you're going to have to drop that strut to get a good look. got a torque wrench?
Attached Thumbnails Rear suspension clunk (pictures)-rear-strut.jpg  
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

you have to be proven right to get the beer money

ill be on vacation next week and access to my full garage/tools (aka my parents garage where all my tools are), so yes torque wrench will be available haha.

what could have bee left out that would effect the height tho?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

5 or 7
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

what are 5 and 7? cant see the list. i might as well try and get a hold of them to have on hand.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

If something is left out, you might want to go ahead and fully inspect rear left strut/spring assembly.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

we...yeah, to find if something is missing it will all have to come apart anyway. im so thrilled....
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
we...yeah, to find if something is missing it will all have to come apart anyway. im so thrilled....
Well I mean that's a given, but I meant you should inspect the opposite side if the current side is missing something.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Graphic
Well I mean that's a given, but I meant you should inspect the opposite side if the current side is missing something.
ah, gotcha now.

i wish there was an easy way without just ordering all the parts. if i pull it out next week, i will more than likely not be able to get the parts fast enough.

unless...i open the boxes that contain the factory suspension and find the part.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Just pull the strut assembly off and inspect it. You should be able to determine if the suspension is missing something with out having to compress and rip the strut apart. If you see a part missing put your strut back on, check the other side, order your parts then get ready to tear it all a part.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Graphic
Just pull the strut assembly off and inspect it. You should be able to determine if the suspension is missing something with out having to compress and rip the strut apart. If you see a part missing put your strut back on, check the other side, order your parts then get ready to tear it all a part.
its a timing thing, with my vacation and garage access. if it is a suspension issue and i dont fix it next week it will have to wait till june...and go through 3 track days

this parts diagram also appears different than the one posted.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=F706095

i could just order 6,7, and 8, but i dont see the upper bushing listed.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Mar 11, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Ok, pulled apart a rear strut to see what could be going on.

As far as I can tell either number 8 is missing or number 7 is too long. I measure number 7 at 39mm. If 8 is missing then the lower bushing could move around over the lip 8 would be sitting on creating a gap so the whole thing can move up and down.
Attached Thumbnails Rear suspension clunk (pictures)-photo-1-.jpg   Rear suspension clunk (pictures)-photo-2-.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
yea that rubber dust in the top picture looks wrong, I'm thinking you're going to have to drop that strut to get a good look. got a torque wrench?

This PDF is straight from alldate I believe... Which I like to call someData lol

Quick Reply: Rear suspension clunk (pictures)