Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Time for some new tires/brakes.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for some new tires/brakes.

Hey everyone,

I did a search for this, but all I could find in a reasonable amount of time were threads from a long time ago - maybe I just suck a searching.....

I am about to buy a set of new tires, I was thinking that I was going to go with the OEM advans because I hear that they're a pretty solid choice. Are there any better choices out there for all season tires? Im looking for something with all around grip, longevity and something that isnt going to be too noisy.

I dont plan on doing any autox anytime soon, and I DD the car to and from work on windy back roads.

I am also about to replace the rotors and pads - same question, should I stick with the OEM setup or move to something else? The brake squeal isnt that big of a deal to me, but if there is a combo that would eliminate the squeal and still give me some bite, i would like to hear about it.

I read that centric blanks and hawk pads are a good combo, but i wanted to get some more opinions.

I dont plan on doing any autox anytime soon, and I DD (spirited) the car to and from work on windy back roads . Price really isnt a factor to me, I would rather spend a couple extra hundred bucks for quality parts.

On another note...ive been hearing some clunking when I am driving slow 30 and under. It sounds like plastic moving back and forth under pressure. I don't really know where its coming from though. It happens when I am going straight mostly, but also when Im turning either direction. It doesnt get worse when I hit a bump either. Any ideas what i should check, or what it could be?

thankssss
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you should use all oe, even the advans.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

anybody else with other input??
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

im doing new tires brake and rotors right now also. the tires im geting you prolly dont want because their street use only. but im geting slotted rotors and hawk pads. the slotted rotors you dont really need there not gonna do anything different than normal rotor but their cool to have and that noise at 30 im not sure but you could check all that plastic under the front of the car; it could be banging around cause its all busted up?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I am about to buy a set of new tires, I was thinking that I was going to go with the OEM advans because I hear that they're a pretty solid choice. Are there any better choices out there for all season tires? Im looking for something with all around grip, longevity and something that isnt going to be too noisy.

I dont plan on doing any autox anytime soon, and I DD the car to and from work on windy back roads.

I am also about to replace the rotors and pads - same question, should I stick with the OEM setup or move to something else? The brake squeal isnt that big of a deal to me, but if there is a combo that would eliminate the squeal and still give me some bite, i would like to hear about it.

I read that centric blanks and hawk pads are a good combo, but i wanted to get some more opinions.

I dont plan on doing any autox anytime soon, and I DD (spirited) the car to and from work on windy back roads . Price really isnt a factor to me, I would rather spend a couple extra hundred bucks for quality parts.

For tires, I would recommend a set of Hankook V12s. They're not an all-season tire, but they're great in the rain, are quiet, and are awesome for DD. I've had them on my Evo for ~10,000 miles and they've still got plenty of life in them, even after 9 autocross events. However, if you just want one tire that can also get through snow, I probably wouldn't go with these

As for rotors and pads, a cheap set of blank rotors should do the trick, while a list of pads, as well as rotors, can be found here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

I run the EBC Redstuff pads all around and I've been very happy with them. No squeal, only moderate dust when braking hard (auto-x), and instant bite. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I really like the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Its a dry/wet tire with a pretty high tread wear (340) but is the wet tire to have right now for auto-x. For the NW rain its amazing to have as an all around tire. The forward bite of these are amazing, and they seem to have about the same grip in puddles as they do on wet ground.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I really like the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Its a dry/wet tire with a pretty high tread wear (340) but is the wet tire to have right now for auto-x. For the NW rain its amazing to have as an all around tire. The forward bite of these are amazing, and they seem to have about the same grip in puddles as they do on wet ground.
Do you have any experience with these over the Hankook V12s I mentioned? After my set is finished, I might just get another set of wheels and tires for auto-x and put a DD set on my stockers. How is the dry grip and noise?

BTW, you should update your sig
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
Do you have any experience with these over the Hankook V12s I mentioned? After my set is finished, I might just get another set of wheels and tires for auto-x and put a DD set on my stockers. How is the dry grip and noise?

BTW, you should update your sig
Haha, Took me a min to realize what you meant.

I auto-x'd the DW's last weekend cause it was a torrential downpour with mixed snow falling. I set FTD over the first group on 95% dry pavement when I was in almost 1/2 deep water. Then when we started clearing out I couldnt seem to get any faster. The just work that well with water.

No experience with the V12s though so I cant say which has is better in the dry. Noise is very low with these cause they seem to have a pretty soft sidewall, which also leads to a bit more comfort with my 700/900 lb/in rates. I can feel them squirm around but the rain grip has made me a believer.

Link to results. Overall results are a bit odd cause the morning was dry and afternoon very very wet. (when I ran)
http://www.oregonpca.org/events/auto...-time-results/