Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brembo LCF600 brake fluid review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Brembo LCF600 brake fluid review

It was time to change out the fluid in the brake system on my '05 MR. Fluid had been in there for several years :-( and i have finally had a chance to flush.

Currently the brakes are DBA 4000 rotors with EBC yellowStuff pads and SS lines.

I looked at several different brands of fluid ( AP, ATE, Prestone, Motul, Castrol etc ) and finally settled on the Brembo LCF 600 as suitable for what I like.

Car is DD, AX, and occasional track day. Suspension mods etc in my sig.

I like the feel of a firm brake pedal..just seems easier to me to modulate during braking..but that is my opinion yours may vary.. The Brembo was advertised as being slightly less compressible than comparable brands. TommiM has a thread in which he has used this but has not had much chance to review the fluid due to down time.

SO I got this from Hoerr Racing ( thanks guys order came very quickly :-)), I ordered 3 -500 ml bottles to make sure of a complete flush. Old fluid was ATE blue. The Brembo LCF is clear so it was easy to see when the old ATE fluid cleared out of the system.

I used the tried and true 2 person flush method keeping an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. ( quick shout out to my wife who rolled her eyes and helped anyways LOL ) Before starting I drained out the ATE fluid from the reservoir by using a turkey baster. Sucked it all out. Refilled to the top with the Brembo LCF 600 and started in the rear. Flushed inside bleeders first, then the outers at each wheel. It took quite a bit of fluid to completely flush the rear lines. I was part-way into the second bottle before completing the rears. if you are replacing old fluid that is clear, it may be hard to tell when to stop so bear that in mind.....

The fronts went quickly but used more volume than the rears, most likely because of the larger calipers and internal volume..I saw a little air in the passenger front inside after about 12 flushes..reservoir was not empty but i don't see any other choice than it must 've gotten low.

Anyways..it took almost the 3 bottles to finish up the job. After cleaning up, i rebedded the brakes. There was a small difference in the feel of the brakes. Firmer pedal. I cannot attribute this just to the LCF as the old fluid was in there for several years. And it might have had a tiny bit of air in the passenger side front. Nonetheless, it feels different.

As soon as I get the new star specs on ( my old ones are showing cord in the front almost 18K :-) ), I will try this out on my favorite back road stretches, one of which requires heavy braking downhill several times. It should give me an idea of how the fluid is performing in heavier use.

So at this time, I think the fluid may have a subjective better feel, am happy, but will reserve judgement until i can push the car on brakes much more than today. I will report back later on it.

BTW this would be way overkill for just DD. Stick with Prestone or ATE or whatever for that.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just put this fluid in my nephews turbo mr2. We flushed out the old fluid and decided to try out the brembo lcf600 in his car. Today I just came back from an autox driving his car (since mine is still down), and brake pedal feel on his car was really firm as well.

Ive been really happy with it, Im glad your seeing similar results
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
tommiM,

The pedal feels very firm, which is the way I like it. Yes i have SS lines and that contributes to the firm feel.

To viewers, having a slightly less compressible fluid may help on track days where you are coming up with a slightly spongy feel on the brakes and would maybe have to bleed trackside...which sucks :-).

I just got my brand new 255/40 Star specs today so they are going on the car tomorrow. If I get a chance i'll visit my favorite backroad downhill braking site and run it several times back to back to get a better feel for the fluid.

Thanks for the views...