Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

cut bump stops for tein s tech springs on my MR?

Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut bump stops for tein s tech springs on my MR?

Hey guys i'm gonna do my lowering springs in a few weeks. Should i cut the bump stop in half as i have seen on some "how-to's" on here? Was just curious the install looked fairly straight forward and i didn't want to ride the bump stops i thought this may help
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If you did any searching, you would have read that those are the worst springs possible for the car.

Doesn't matter if you cut them or not; you'll be on the bumpstops / smashing the valves with those springs.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I did some reading and I've got some friends who haven't had problems it's just the route I went? Just making sure there is no problem with cutting bump stops. If they ride then they rode just trying to make it best as possible.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by svt_lightning01
just trying to make it best as possible.
false. if this were true you would have bought better springs
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Search and read here. They are too low, too soft and WILL degrade the handling.

You have the factory Bilsteins. Which are great. Adding those springs will 100% hurt them.

Read up on GTWorx springs or Swift Sport MRs.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Lol well the person that recommended them has no issues and I've seen people on here say that as well. I've seen alot of people have bad things as well but I just went that route. People told me to put gsc's in the car when it came with hks cams because they were "garbage" to some. But they have served me well for how I use them. Either way I bought what I bought I was just making a thread to ask about cutting the stops not the quality of the springs. I've haven't done much suspension work and I wasn't sure of I'll effects of cutting bump stops
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

I've read good things about swift and I plan on doing full coiloverS this fall most likely. So they won't be on the car too long as it is reguardless of how I feel about them.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by svt_lightning01
Lol well the person that recommended them has no issues and I've seen people on here say that as well. I've seen alot of people have bad things as well but I just went that route. People told me to put gsc's in the car when it came with hks cams because they were "garbage" to some. But they have served me well for how I use them. Either way I bought what I bought I was just making a thread to ask about cutting the stops not the quality of the springs. I've haven't done much suspension work and I wasn't sure of I'll effects of cutting bump stops
While in some ways your position is understandable, given the comments you received in regards to the HKS cams on your car (the HKS 280s are quite good, IMNSHO), you should probably take a few minutes and research the effects of Tein springs on your car. I think you'll quickly find that not only do they negatively affect the handling of your car, but they will also ruin your struts (this is not an "if" scenario, it's a "when"). You are, of course, free to ignore the feedback being provided to you, but unlike the engine forum, which tends to abound with fanboyism, half-truths and outright ignorance at times, in this forum you're actually getting feedback from people that have modded their suspensions and successfully (as in winning) raced their cars.

l8r)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't understand you have a car that handles amazingly. Why take a step backwards? Clearly you don't care about ride quality or handling. Why don't you save yourself the money on the teins and just cut your stock springs ( while they're still on the car ) ? Either decision will be a poor one so take the cheaper route.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Lol I get most people have problems with them and obviously it's against "policy" to have them lol but I have a friend who has put 40k on his car since he has owned it with identical springs and it doesn't give him problems at all. So while most everyone complains about them I'm gonna take a chance. I appreciate the feedback and it doesn't go unnoticed believe me most all of my decisionS have come from this site as its the best out there but I already have them and worst case scenario is they do hurt the struts and I get coilovers like I planned. Or maybe I'm one of the lucky whom doesn't have issues with them. Who knows. I never take the cheap way out on my car when I decided on springs I asked him what he ran because I loved the rise height. So I bought them that's all. They happen to be cheap as well which helped my decision because they set awesome. I've read all about the issues with them. I may eat crow on buying them we will just have to see.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly ur better off buying some cheap c/o, seeing you don't care about the way the car handles, like apexi's and selling ur Bilsteins and to someone who will use them properly and you'll make $3-400, instead of putting the springs on there and destroying the Bilsteins and then throwing them away.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will just say it...you "friend" is a retard Lol
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the "support" "friend"
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I already have them at house already and the only opening I have is this Sunday if they suck I'll take them off and adjust accordingly. It won't be the first or last possible stupid thing I've done lol.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

You have no frame of reference. You're going to think "**** yeah, sweet ****s! car is slammed! musts be uber coolz now and handling like a ****!" And since all your friends have already fallen to misinformation and have no idea what suspension does or what your changes have done in terms of vectors and maths...you'll be just as bad as them.

You're in a highly technical forum. Many of us have done development in suspensions (some specifically for the Evo). You can actually read what we post and listen to us or **** off and do what you want at your own failure.

Teins = Starbucks of suspension companies. If its cool, they'll throw their name on it.

Too low, too soft, will be ON bumpstops and on-top-of internal valves, geometry will be upside-down...do I really need to go on?

Really really really recommend Swift Sports or SpecRs for the MR or GTWorx's springs. Properly designed, tested, and PROVEN.

Swift SpecRs + Bilstein HD (like MRs -- different discussion):

Last edited by Smike; Apr 26, 2012 at 07:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cut bump stops for tein s tech springs on my MR?