Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My new Evo and AutoX Experience

Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My new Evo and AutoX Experience

Hey guys, i wanted to start a thread about auto cross experience, because I searched for hours on set ups and tire pressure and hope that this info will help out others.
I bought my Evo in May and I love it. It is an 05 MR, 80,000 miles and I drive it everyday. When I bought it the tires were shot breaks were horrible and the alignment was pretty bad as well. When I first got the car I changed the oil with mobile 1 10w-30 and mobile 1 filter, and changed all the drive line fluids to the redline variations.( I hope with practice this gets better because I made a mess.) I changed the front rotors and pads using autozone rotors and their c-max pads.(I worked there for 10 years, some the parts aren't as bad as some think).
So now I started autoxing it in May on the junk tires and it didn't matter what I did, the car just handled differently every run, but then I got tires and an alignment.
The tires are 245/40-17 dunlop star specs. When I did the alighnment we flipped the bolt on the strut and got front left and right -2.1 camber and rear left and right -1.6 camber. Toe was -0.01 all the way around.
Wow what a difference, way more grip and the car was very predictable. I think after playing with air pressure that I will start them at 39-40 front and 35-36 rear next time. I didn't take my ice water sprayer this time cause it was 20 degrees cooler than normal. My first six events I averaged 29th place out of around 40-50 people, this last event I was 11th over all and that was with 5 pro-class guys that normally do not run in our region.
I'm going to try and attach a picture with the new set up because I found a lot of threads looking for pics of people who went with the 245/40 vs 245/45.
Hope this helps some folks, I probably should add the diagram of the strut bolt but I couldn't find it.
Attached Thumbnails My new Evo and AutoX Experience-photo.jpg  
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on your new EVO. Welcome aboard to an expensive hobby
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you should look in the "motorsports" section. theres TONS of information about autox in there. those pads arent going to get you anywhere in autox.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Solenoid
Congrats on your new EVO. Welcome aboard to an expensive hobby
Thanks! I have had a few projects before, fully built Jeep wrangler, a fully built F-body (I got beat by a 500+HP Evo 8) so I've made piece with money going out the window when it comes to car projects.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sujinX
you should look in the "motorsports" section. theres TONS of information about autox in there. those pads arent going to get you anywhere in autox.
I'll check that out. I know i'm giving up a lot in my brakes (my rears are stock pads and original set of rotors that I'm sure are well below spec, because the front were) but, I put atleast 100 miles a day on my car so the lifetime brakes are nice and the low dust keeps me clean. Ill say when I first put them on they held very well and car had unbelievable stopping power but i think they fell off pretty quick because they dont stop as well now and they are pretty squeaky when they get hot. Is there anywhere to get better than factory rotors and pads that wont cost me an arm and a leg?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking to get into Autocross, but not really sure where they run in Northern Virginia. Could you pass me the website you used?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EdSales
I've been looking to get into Autocross, but not really sure where they run in Northern Virginia. Could you pass me the website you used?
Check SCCA.com for local regions. I don't know how far you are from D.C, but they run a big region there with tons of good drivers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by chu
Check SCCA.com for local regions. I don't know how far you are from D.C, but they run a big region there with tons of good drivers.
Thanks, I live 30 minutes from D.C., I will def check it out!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:39 AM

Thats funny, my car came from Northern Virginia. I've acctually been autocrossing for a number of years on and off so i already knew where to go around here but, the SCCA.com is an awesome site for info if you want to get in it. I plan on doing it untill I graduate and then I hope to prepare the lancer for track use and maybe do some NASA time trials.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome. For brake pad info, start here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

l8r)
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, I live 30 minutes from D.C., I will def check it out!
The nasioc.com (subaru) forum has a mid-atlantic region with a lot of active autocross members. Dig around in that forum and you'll find some events and everyone is very helpful to beginners.

- Andrew