Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spring Rate Chart

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the shocks today. I will say that the rears seem a little more progressive than I would have liked. I am posting a picture. I will install them next week and give my opinions.
Attached Thumbnails Spring Rate Chart-tanabe-gf210-shocks.jpg  
Old May 18, 2004, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white777,
The are not progressive. They are just dead coils. only look progressive.
Old May 18, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Tri-Bar

Tanabe themselves said that the springs are somewhat progressive. Here is their quote from my above posting:

"Standard automotive coil springs (with the exception of fixed diameter springs for adjustable coilover suspension) are both linear and progressive. For drivability and ride comfort, a portion of the spring uses a progressive rate, while the majority is linear. One thing that sets different manufacturer's springs apart is the percentage of progressive 'coils' on the spring versus the linear 'coils'

The GF210 for the Lancer EVO VIII is predominantly linear.

Typically the progressive coils are wound tightly together and are located on the the top and bottom of the spring. The center portion has evenly spaced coils, which is the linear rate.

What dictates how many progressive coils a spring should have? This can only be determined through thorough R&D, and is dependent on many factors, including upper and lower OEM spring perch, weight of the vehicle as well as several others.

The progressive coils located on the top and bottom of the spring help with daily driveability and work to absorb some of the shock from irregular road conditions. "
Old May 18, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Somewhat progressive ? Never have I seen a somewhat progressive spring. After I installed mine all the short coils are sitting on top of each other. Thats not progressive. They do not behave like a proggressive spring, like the H&R's, they bounce going around a turn as they load and unload weight on and off the progessive part of the spring. pogo stick kind of thing.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Unless a spring has a consistent wrap gap (like that term?), it will have varying spring rates and will be somewhat progressive. Now if all the short coils are compressed when the weight of the car is on them, you may have a point. We will see.
Old May 19, 2004, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

All the short coils are compressed when the weight of the car is on them. That's what I am talking about. In the back, all they do is sit on each other.
Old May 20, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Updated.. HKS Hypermax RS
Old May 29, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

is anyone using the Eibach springs? if so, how are they? I had a bad experience with adding springs to stock struts/shocks before on another car and I blew out my stock shocks in like 4 months....I want to buy springs this week so if anyone has any information please let me know.
Old May 30, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

I have an update on the Tanabe GF210's. They went on fairly easily. I did cut the front bump stops about 1.5" and the back ones about 1.25". That was just a convenient cutting place. Visually, the car looks like it was lowered per the manufacturer specs, but I never measured.

I did get the car realigned (very important). I think the car has a little harsher rid now, not much more than stock though. It seems to have less body roll and corners better, but I won't know for sure until the next autocross next week. I haven't been able to push it hard on the road yet. For anyone that complained about the turn-in with these springs being less than stock, I don't know what they are talking about. I think it all has to do with their realignment, not the springs. If you get a decent alignment with more aggressive settings than stock, the turn in is still excellent.

My only dissapointment, and this has little to do with the springs, is that I couldn't get more negative camber than the stock setup. With stock, I could only get about -1.7 degrees. I was told once a car was lowered, you could get more negative camber. After the springs, I am maxed out at about -1.8. I was hoping for -2.0. Oh well, time for camber plates.
Old May 30, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Is anyone using the KG/MM DR springs? I've got a set on order but, they have not arrived yet. If so do you like them? I've had the tein high techs and liked them for a while but, they did seem to give that basketball ride quality after a while.
Old May 30, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tri-Bar
white777,
The are not progressive. They are just dead coils. only look progressive.
Arent dead coils used so you can adjust your ride height by cutting those off if you want? If you cut the dead coils off your not changing the spring rate in any way are you?
Old May 31, 2004, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't want to cut any more off the already-lowered springs. Leave the "dead coils" as the manufacturer intended them.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't use Eibach springs. They sag and they have a horrible ride quality.

I would personally go with H & R springs. German made and they're quality springs. I had them before and I loved them.

Does anyone know about the KYB AGX shocks for EVO? I like that combo, H&R and KYB AGX. It's cheap, rides excellent and if it breaks, I could get another set.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Espelir springs...

There are two springs available...
Active GT:
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=265

Active Super Down: ASD
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...=yes&dept=1531

Here's the spec from Espelir japanese website (not sure it's AGT or ASD):
http://www.espelir.co.jp/espelir18.HTML
spring rate: front=4.7 kg, rear=5.3 kg
drop: front=35-40mm, rear=25-30mm

doesnt match the spec on the 1st post.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Found the US distributor for Espelir:

Mackin Industries:
http://www.mackinindustries.com/faq.html

Here's the Espelir spring applications from them:
http://www.mackinindustries.com/pdf/coilsprings.pdf

ASD (blue in color):
spring rate: front=4.7kg (~263), rear=5.3kg (~296)
drop: front=20mm, rear=20mm (we all know now this is wrong)

GT (red in color):
spring rate: front=5.5kg (~307), rear=5.9kg (~330)
drop: front=45mm, rear=25mm

I think the GT has the highest spring rate for the EVO8.
45mm is about 1.77 in drop,
25mm is about 0.98 in drop.

Quick Reply: Spring Rate Chart