Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo 9 Mr Bilstein Strut/Bilstein Hd Question

Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Mr Bilstein Strut/Bilstein Hd Question

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this question has been posted before, but I've done some research and haven't been able to find an answer. I just recently purchased the Bilstein OEM front struts that came on the MR for my Evo 9, part number being MN101890. I was wondering if they would be compatible with a set of rear Bilstein HD's.

Thanks, Chris.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:02 PM

A little more background information. Its an Evo 9 with kyb struts and gsr springs, id assusme. "car was totally stock when I bought it." With having bought the Bilstein OEM MR struts, my 2 problems lie in front of me. Are the rear Bilstein HD's compatible with the OEM MR Bilsteins, and will my GSR springs work with the Mr Bilsteins and the Bilstein HD's. I'm trying to get out of buying 2 rear OEM Mr Bilsteins because they are about 3 times the amount of the Rear Bilstein HD's. Thanks again, Chris.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You posted a good question. Regarding the aftermarket springs, there should be no
compatibility issues w/fitment

Dont know about the damping differences between the 2
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Bilstein HD are valved stiffer for aftermarket springs, so I not sure how the MR and HD combo would work out, my guess is not to stable if you like taking corners fast. The GSR springs are fine to use on either model Bilstein.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different valving (stiffer) as stated above. Hence the HD in the name. Not a good idea to mix and match. Call bilstein in el caljone for definitive info. They can revalve too match and also adjust for your spring rate.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by C.Reed
A little more background information. Its an Evo 9 with kyb struts and gsr springs, id assusme. "car was totally stock when I bought it." With having bought the Bilstein OEM MR struts, my 2 problems lie in front of me. Are the rear Bilstein HD's compatible with the OEM MR Bilsteins, and will my GSR springs work with the Mr Bilsteins and the Bilstein HD's. I'm trying to get out of buying 2 rear OEM Mr Bilsteins because they are about 3 times the amount of the Rear Bilstein HD's. Thanks again, Chris.
If you can get two used ones from a junk car with front end damage and rebuild them to new, it would be cheaper than the HD I would think. Only problem is the time it takes to do that.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently looking for a set, but how do you tell the difference?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have a hard time believing there would be enough difference to ever notice.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I have a hard time believing there would be enough difference to ever notice.
Then why by the HD's?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I just replaced my stocker Mr bilsteins with HD's because my stock ones were shot at 100,000 miles of dd on crappy NY roads.

At any rate I did alot of investigating this option before I sprung for the HD replacements. I found most information here on EvoM. But I also called Tirerack where I got them from and spoke to them about fitment, valving and realworld performance and comfort.

The rates are very similar but definitely Not the same. The HD's have slightly firmer valving. This equals to slightly more of a jittery feeling on rough road surface.

So are they a good affordable replacement for a near stock setup? You betcha!

But to have the softer valving in front and firmer in the rear will not yield an ideal setup. It is possible that a more tail happy and non linear feel would present itself at the limit of grip and or during an emergency maneuver.

Me personally I would Not mix valving like that.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you! How much did your set cost you for 4?

Originally Posted by Mr Chef
Ok I just replaced my stocker Mr bilsteins with HD's because my stock ones were shot at 100,000 miles of dd on crappy NY roads.

At any rate I did alot of investigating this option before I sprung for the HD replacements. I found most information here on EvoM. But I also called Tirerack where I got them from and spoke to them about fitment, valving and realworld performance and comfort.

The rates are very similar but definitely Not the same. The HD's have slightly firmer valving. This equals to slightly more of a jittery feeling on rough road surface.

So are they a good affordable replacement for a near stock setup? You betcha!

But to have the softer valving in front and firmer in the rear will not yield an ideal setup. It is possible that a more tail happy and non linear feel would present itself at the limit of grip and or during an emergency maneuver.

Me personally I would Not mix valving like that.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

$764. plus tax for all 4. From Tirerack.com
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Mr Chef - How would you compare the ride with the MR Bilsteins to the HD's? What springs are you using? My struts are on the way out, currently at 110k, and am looking for options. Missed on a set of MR bilsteins here w/ 20k miles.... I'm interested to know though if the ride is considerably stiffer than the the MR bilsteins. I've read here that the only difference is on the rougher roads, where the HDs don't abosrb as well as the MR bilsteins. How has your experience been so far?