Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

question about suspension bushings and rotors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
question about suspension bushings and rotors

wasup fellas ,have couple of questions.i drive '03 8 ,120K on odometer.have stance coils but the rest of suspension is stock.nothing is wrong with suspension but because of high millage i would like to change some bushings.question is what is most important bushings i need to change to get that feeling like she's new?control arms,trailing arms?i don't think i need to change sway bar bushings right?
second question about scalloped brake rotors.stm sells rotors itself.don't see center hats for sale.do you guys think they'll fit my stock calipers?maybe somebody running this
set up already? i contacted stm about center hats but also would like to hear your thoughts from you guys.thanks
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as far as bushings, I would start off with the bumpsteer and the trailing arm bushings. I have no experience with STM scalloped rotors so I couldn't tell ya.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Change the sway bar bushings as well.....ES has a master lit that contains lots of bushings and Whiteline sells bushings as well.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

ok,thanks guys for guiding me to the right direction.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Depending on what your goals are for the car I would recommend different bushings. If you just want to tighten up things and get it back to a stock feel then go to town taking a look under the car and use a pry bar to see which bushings have the most play and start replacing them with new OEM pieces.

If you are looking to add some "performance" at the expensive of some added noises and harshness then I would start to look into aftermarket pieces.

As mentioned above Energy Suspension has a master kit which would probably be a good thing in your case. Just be careful as not every bushing in that kit is considered an upgrade over some of the factory spherical bearings.

In my case I have a mixed bag of different bushing currently on my car as well as some that I am planning to get on when I have some more time.

To sum it up, if some of your bushings are worn out that would be a good place to start. Then from there the best handling replacements are, trailing arm, rear bumpsteer, Front LCA inner bushing, big circular donut bushing on the LCA(I've got a Perrin PSRS sitting at home to go in there), maybe sway bar bushings etc. It depends how much time and $ you want to invest in this project.

As to the brake rotors I believe those scalloped ones are specific to the Wilwood small brake kit they sell. Your best bet to confirm would be to give STM a quick call. They are always extremely helpful.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

heel2toe thanks man,yeh just got pm from stm about scalloped rotors,they are for wildwood calipers.
i just wanted to tighten things up a little and I'll take your advice on that.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There are definitely a lot of bushing choices you have for your VIII.
ES are going to be the cheapest option, potentially squeaky/noisy (especially the red ones).
OEM units tend to be expensive, but will deteriorate just like the ones you have, but be really quiet.
WL make great units and will make the car feel new and stay feeling close to that way after they break-in and will be slightly more expensive than the ES units.
Works makes a very full lineup of bushings for the Evo and also makes great products. Their prices do reflect the research and completeness of their catalog, though - they're expensive, but in the long-run, worth the added cost (my opinion.)
Torque Solution and Perrin also offer a limited selection of suspension upgrades, which tend to be cheap upgrades but really good quality pieces, especially Torque Solution!

--Zigg