Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some advice on springs and fitment.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on springs and fitment.

I just bought an EVO 8. The car has Enkie RPFs 18x9.5 +15 with 235/40R/18 tires. The previous owner has the rear camber set at -2. On my way home driving from San Diego to Williston, ND I blew out a tire because of the wear from the camber. The tire on the other side had just as much wear. I ended up replacing both of them.

Now I'm wanting to be able to fix the camber to factory specs. The car has tein springs on it and the left rear is lower than the right rear. I need to know what springs would allow me to go to the factory specs without rubbing.

I'm not sure if I need to install the factory springs or not. I was looking at the Swift springs, they say it lowers the car .8 or .9 inches. However when I looked at the tein springs it said the same thing .8 or .9.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by DangerDave4G63; Feb 13, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
most of that wear is going to come from rear toe, not camber

tien springs are the killer there. chances are the wheels are also rubbing on the body

gtworx is the best "factory spec" spring besides OE

swift spec R are what everyone loves if you're looking for a mild drop (1" rear, 1.3" front)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerDave4G63
I just bought an EVO 8. The car has Enkie RPFs 18x9.5 +15 with 235/40R/18 tires. .
In my book, you might be going about this the incorrect way. The problem is the wheel

+15 is a terrible, aggressive offset to run unless you have over fenders (body kit)

Adjusting the suspension (ride height or camber) is not the way to fit wheels. Obviously the previous owner knew this w/super stretch tire & out of spec camber

Recommendation: Sell the wheels

Only my opinion/.02
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
In my book, you might be going about this the incorrect way. The problem is the wheel

+15 is a terrible, aggressive offset to run unless you have over fenders (body kit)

Adjusting the suspension (ride height or camber) is not the way to fit wheels. Obviously the previous owner knew this w/super stretch tire & out of spec camber

Recommendation: Sell the wheels

Only my opinion/.02
The previous owner told me that the front fenders were rolled and the rear were shaved.

Any recommendations on a combo wheel and tire sizes?

Last edited by DangerDave4G63; Feb 13, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The previous owner told me that the front fenders were rolled and the rear were shaved.

Any recommendations on a come wheel and tire sizes?
Well, it sounds like there was some rear fender work. Depends on how much? If they trimmed the rear fender lip off, wondering if they pulled the fender as well?

You best option would be to look around in the wheel threads & find something you like then we can work on the size & offset

Generally speaking, If your hooked on 18's, I would choose something in these ranges
1. 18x9 +25 to 35
2. 18x9.5 +25 to 35

Tires: If your rear fenders were really worked / modified (roll, pull, bumper bolt re-locate) you may be able to run some wide rubber i.e. 255/40 265/35 275/35

If you have further questions, we have some pretty good guys here that are happy to suggest alternatives / ideas

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:29 PM

But if I raise the car up some that would allow me to run factory specs correct?

The front tires and Camber are just fine.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

But if I raise the car up some that would allow me to run factory specs correct?

The front tires and Camber are just fine.
Depends on how you use your EVO. I run my EVO at the track & can not have any tire rub through the full suspension stroke. It appears the previous owner was into the stance thing (stretched tires & out of spec camber which is Ok if youre into that)

So, sure you can raise your ride height & put your rear camber settings into the normal range. A good suspension shop would tell you thats not the way to do it but may get you by in the short term

Joe

Edit. Let me share this pic w/you that I use in the Sticky Fitment thread above. This is how your wheel & tire should fit in the well during a hard compression bump. If your wheel/tire can not do whats in the pic, without rub, then it just doesnt fit =)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 13, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:32 PM

Left Rear

Right Rear

Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
most of that wear is going to come from rear toe, not camber

tien springs are the killer there. chances are the wheels are also rubbing on the body

gtworx is the best "factory spec" spring besides OE

swift spec R are what everyone loves if you're looking for a mild drop (1" rear, 1.3" front)

Here is the tires after I pulled them off after the blow out. Are you saying that this is from Toe?

Last edited by DangerDave4G63; Feb 13, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Dave

Really hate to see that. That camber wear is awful. So much unused tread

And if Im seeing the pics correctly the tire is contacting the fender? Hoping you get this resolved

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:48 PM

No the tires do not rub on the rear of the car. However the front right will rub when I turn and sometimes when I hit a decent dip in the road.

Those tires didn't even have 6k miles on them.

I'm not a stance guy, if you're into that, that's cool, but not this guy.

So you think the best bet would be to get different tire and wheel combo then?

I believe these springs are starting to if not already sagging.

Last edited by DangerDave4G63; Feb 13, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

For sure +15 is not right for a stock body EVO

That rear camber looks like it had a lot more than -2

As I noted above, offsets lower than +25 are very tough to fit properly (+15 impossible). Your EVO would perform & look much better w/a nice 255 or wider tire & a wheel that fits
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:45 PM

What about these ones with the same tire size I have now. Or could I run a 255 on these wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1920

I'm going to buy the Swift Spec-Rs. I haven't read or heard anything good about the Tein springs plus they are sagging.

I'm totally lost when it comes to tires and wheels. So Joe thank you very much for all the help.

Last edited by DangerDave4G63; Feb 13, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What about these ones with the same tire size I have now. Or could I run a 255 on these wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1920

I'm going to buy the Swift Spec-Rs. I haven't read or heard anything good about the Tein springs plus they are sagging.

I'm totally lost when it comes to tires and wheels. So Joe thank you very much for all the help.
Dave

18x8.5 +35mm is certainly a very modest & solid spec for the EVO. Yes, you can run the 235/40 which will fit just fine or a 255/35 or 255/40 (usually would require a roll which you already have. Its a large circumference tire & will affect your speedo slightly)

If you had more time, I would tell you to look around more & find something you really like
Not sure about how the Raijin will fit over the front caliper but maybe TireRack is confirming the fitment. Make sure you check w/them otherwise you will need a spacer

Joe
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
So it sounds like this has already been established but by looking at the pictures and seeing the wheel specs I think the obvious issue is the offset of said wheels. Because of that the tires simply do not fit under the stock body without significant work in the rear.

I do not believe that tire wear is from camber. I rum a pretty aggressive summer alignment for auto-x but dd the car as well and the wear is a lot smoother. I think they are getting shredded by the rear quarters.

The easiest solution is to sell the wheels and get a proper set as already recommended. At the end of the day your current set is still the stock width tires yet they are rubbing. I feel that if you're gunna go through the effort to fit wider wheels then the tires should be larger as well.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on springs and fitment.