Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front right rattling, driving like its toed in

Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Front right rattling, driving like its toed out

All of a sudden my car has started to drive weird. It acts as if it's toed out. When hitting a bump it jumps all over the road and driving it wants to follow grooves in the road really bad. I havent made any adjustments or had any hard impacts recently so Im not sure what could've caused this.

Also after hitting a bump (such as where a bridge seam is on the interstate) I get this rattle and the front end feels like its jumping up and down rapidly for a few feet and the car get loose in the front end.

As you can imagine, this is very worrying. I have taken the wheel off checked the strut bolts, the ball joint bolt, the control arm bolts, the sway bar bolts, and I only checked one of the sub frame nuts though, and they are all tight. Not sure what else it could be. I'm hoping the tie rod hasnt come loose or something.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
p.s. this is also my only car (which is getting really annoying)

*edit* I also should note that I've noticed a sound coming from that side when I turn left. Its like a "whirrrrr" sound, very low tone, possibly the wheel bearing going bad but I wouldn't think that would affect the wheel alignment or cause the effects I have been witnessing.

Last edited by cerevo; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

edited for accuracy, acting toed out because it will follow the road really bad and is sluggish to turn.
Left turns seem to make the front right of the car dive a bit and then it will turn, its a very strange sensation.
I am going to see about tightening my strut hat and see if the sound goes away. I'm hoping it isn't the control arm bushing in the front because every thread I've read says you have to cut and weld the subframe and I don't want to do that.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Saw your post & not sure what might be going on. Take it to an alignment shop & get this looked at

Possible CV joint going when you noted a humming type noise when turning
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

I think I've narrowed it down to the bushing in the control arm or the strut hat. Don't know if a messed up strut hat would be visibly broken from the top or not. Nor do I know if it would cause the toe issues..