Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

which swift springs for DD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which swift springs for DD?

i was told that the Tein S-Tech springs that came with my car are a bad choice, so i'm shopping for Swifts as per advice. i noticed there are two different "models" of springs(Mach and Spec-R), and also noticed that for each spring model there are two different part numbers for the GSR/RS and the MR. i just ordered a set of Bilstein HD shocks/struts for my GSR and i'm a little confused on which set out of the four options i should to order?

the car is an '03 Evo 8, Bilstein HDs will be here Monday, along with a beefier rear sway bar, F&R urethane sway bar bushings, and new F&R end links. im a "sprited" driver, but also endure a lot of potholes. no real track time, but i drive it as hard as i can when i can.

advice/suggestions?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to ebay and search for RobiSpec springs. Offer $70 + $11.99 shipping. Profit!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
I actually have an email from them before I bought these springs. Here is the info on the differences. there is a picture attached let me upload it onto my photobucket and post it.

Hi Albert.

We really appreciate you looking into our Swift Spec R springs for the Evo. We have put a lot of effort into these springs, and we have received help from the most winning Super Taikyu teams that specializes in EVO’s in Japan to design these springs as well as rigorous track testing, so that we can come out with the most performance oriented product possible. We are extremely confident that you would like them.

As for the differences between the MR(4M017R) and the GSR(4M008R) springs. There is a slight difference between the GSR and the MR spring but it will be noticeable if they are installed. If you were to put an MR spring onto your GSR then the rear end will drop even lower by about 15-20 mill. And vice versa if you were to swap the GSR onto the MR.

When we tested the valving on the both MR and GSR shocks, the main differences were the gas pressures in the Bilstein shock for the MR. It has a fair amount higher pressure, which is like increasing the internal spring rate of the shock. This is why we designed the spring differently for the MR shock. It is not only the spring rates that were modified but the physical construction of the spring as well.

primary rate is as follows.

4M008R 3.50kgf/mm
4M017R 2.73kgf/mm

Most of our technical information is confidential , but here are a few numbers that I can show you.

Many other manufacturer’s have one set of springs for both MR and GSR and so it may seem like the springs can be swapped around but this is incorrect. Believe It or not rake angle dramatically affects the performance of a vehicle. We have come up with our setup through a lot of testing, and trial and error.

This paired with our technology and material used to make our spring, we expect an extremely comfortable ride with a good amount of performance gains.

I have attached pictures of the spring to show you at least the physical differences.

Best Regards,
Sales
Tel: (909)923-9788
Fax: (909)923-9798

Swift Springs
1850 S. Carlos Ave
Ontario, California 91761
www.SwiftSprings.com
As stated in the quoted post the springs go with whatever shocks you put them on. Give swift a call at the number listed and ask them to be sure
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Swift Spec R's are amazing and I highly recommend them. I have them paired with Bilstein HD's on my Evo IX. There's a reason so many people run this combination. It makes the car handle significantly better.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Swift Spec R's are amazing and I highly recommend them. I have them paired with Bilstein HD's on my Evo IX. There's a reason so many people run this combination. It makes the car handle significantly better.
I run GTWorx springs with Bilsteins but still completely agree with this statement. The harshness of the KYBs is gone and the handling is so much better.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotchkis is blowing out NOS "Blemished" springs on ebay for $95 shipped. seems they passed quality control but the fronts are silver and the rears are dark silver/grey, or vice versa.

couldnt pass them up for the price. if they suck, well at least i tried and i should be able to resell them without taking too much of a loss. going to start a new thread, i hope i dont get flamed too bad