Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

D2 street spec coilovers road trip review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
D2 street spec coilovers road trip review

so after 2 weekends of road trips with my new coilovers i can give a fairly detailed review on em.

a little background on my previous setups for reference. the car started out with older hks hypermax coilovers that the previous owner had installed. these hypermax were extremely stiff even at a full soft setting it still felt like riding on 2 tree trunks and were never comfortable and always bounced around the extremely rough philippine road the stiff springs definetly made themselves felt as well as they were running a fairly stiff 9kg front 10kg rear springs. they were also extremely noisy especially the full metal top hat and pillowball that kept knocking over bumps and binding while turning. after blowing these within 6 months of owning the car i almost swore never again to coilovers.

i then lucked out and came upon a tommi makinen set and after installing those it was night and day compared to the hks coils. much more comfortable and well damped with no unusual noises. i was fairly satisfied with that setup except for the stock ride height which although allowing a fair bit suspension travel really looked too high like a real rally car and not a road car. sadly my brother blew the fronts when we went on a road trip and he hit a large pothole and thats when the car sat waiting for its next revival.

which brings me to these d2 coilovers that after 2 weekends straight of long road trips i can say that these are definetly the best setup i have put on the car. after getting them installed and setup the ride height to my liking (2 inches lower all around) and then getting a proper alignment for the setup i set off. the first trip was to the south of manila to the beaches of batangas a route that goes through a forest before opening up to beachside cliffs with lots of switchbacks and s curves along the way. dampers were set to 5 clicks from full soft and i only have praises for its comfort and extremely well dampening as it absorbed the rough bumps and didn't exhibit any undue pitch and roll in the corners and hard braking areas.
that second road trip consisted of going up north into the mountains to visit my hometown the summer capital of the philippines baguio city. this trip consisted of a long expressway ride and then a hard run up and down the mountain with extreme turns and switchbacks this is what would make or break the coilovers for me for if it could survive this trip it could survive anything the philippines roads can throw at it. and once again these coils performed exceptionally holding the road like it glued to them allowing me to take turns with supreme confidence. ride noise was even better than stock with no undue thumps unless it was a really rough road with lots of holes but for most part small bumps and uneven patches were not even noticeable. surprisingly i never scraped on my travels not once which was the best bonus. and after being in a car for 4 to 5 hours per trip i never felt beat up which is something i experienced even in the stock suspension. would i recommend these coils YES I DEFINETLY WOULD. go for it their definetly worth the money and i cant see myself changing these out anytime soon. please enjoy some of the pics i took on my trips and thanks again to D2 philippines for the great service now i can't wait for the next round of mods
Attached Thumbnails D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151022_111813.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151022_171511.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151024_171849.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151031_152331.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151031_154017.jpg  

D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151031_123122.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151031_144721.jpg   D2 street spec coilovers road trip review-20151031_153927.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
evolover21 (Dec 14, 2022)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Read this at least three times and just realized I never responded. I really appreciate this review. Thank you so much, we should definitely have more reviews like this on these forums. I will be looking forward to an update so that we have an idea of how they are holding up.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
good write up, how fast can you go there on those roads?, are there many police around with radar to catch you?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilentCool
Read this at least three times and just realized I never responded. I really appreciate this review. Thank you so much, we should definitely have more reviews like this on these forums. I will be looking forward to an update so that we have an idea of how they are holding up.
oh thanks i appreciate it the coils are doing great i just recently took them to the other side of the country where the roads are even better and they cut through the forest to come out to the pacific its a great rally type of road i decided to run the coils at a softer setting to handle the rougher roads and they did amazing for a 4 hour drive i didnt feel beat up the soft setting is just perfect soaking up the roads especially when the roads dont really exist in some parts their just mud and dirt plus point all around that trip alone was a good 1000km
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
good write up, how fast can you go there on those roads?, are there many police around with radar to catch you?
this may surprise you...but i go flat out or at least as much as my nerve can handle haha the roads are really twisty and they cut through the mountain some parts of the road just disappear cus there was alot of landslides since this was after the rainy season so its at least 50% dirt/mud/rocks but i did average 100km in the twisties those straightaways ill tach out past 180km limit on the speedometer there are no cops with radars on these roads your more likely going to pass a military checkpoint with army guns instead but they love the evo so were good to go haha
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

heres some more from my recent road trip to the pacific ocean side of the country
The following users liked this post:
evolover21 (Dec 14, 2022)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:06 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great review! The D2 are a great coilover. We personally run their RSPEC series for our track car and their Street series are among the most popular coilovers we sell
(855)99-Turbo

Check out our New Site! Visit our website at www.jmautosports.com!