Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Outer Tie Rod End Replacement, Non OEM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Outer Tie Rod End Replacement, Non OEM

Thought I would make a quick post since after searching the topic of new outer tie rod ends I found little to no results. As some may know, if you go to Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. they refer you to a part number of ES3704 (Duralast, Moog, etc.). This part will not work because the end that screws to the inner tie rod is 12mm and needs to be 14mm.

I saw one member say he was able to use the EVO X, which is part number ES800471. I looked at this and yes, it has the correct 14mm threaded end, but was a little bit shorter than what I had (whiteline). After some digging I found the direct replacement from Moog at Advance Auto.

Part Number ES800874

In the pic below you can see the Whiteline one I was using next to the new one from Moog. Both have the correct 14mm female thread for the inner tie rod and both are exactly the same length. Two differences are the following:
- The Moog threaded male end uses a larger thread vs the Whiteline (~0.465" OD)
- The Moog threaded male end is shorter than the Whiteline

The larger threaded male end of ~0.465 was not an issue because the hole in the hub is ~0.475" so it fit like a glove.

One final note, if you want to keep the alignment consistent just use a marker and mark a spot on the locking nut and the inner tie rod before removing. Since the Moog tie rod was the same length as the Whiteline I only need to make sure the marks on the shaft lined up with the mark on the nut when the new tie rod end was installed. Just back the nut off 1 full turn, remove the old tie rod, tighten the nut one full turn back to its initial position and then screw on the new tie rod end. As long as the nut is in the original position and the marks are aligned when tightened onto the tie rod end you should be good to go.

Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you had a white line, I'm assuming you have the roll center correction kit? In which case you need the white line rod end, you'll have bump steer from the modified lower ball joint pivot point on the control arm if you use a stock replacement tierod end.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I don't need the whiteline versions. A lot of the difference in length is the threaded portion so the actual seated position is not much different vs Whiteline. For $50 I can live with any potential downside, which after driving I haven't been able to notice any.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

I received a PM from a member asking how the Moog tie rod was holding up. After almost 2-1/2 years I don't have any issues to report and all is well with the setup.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've replaced both my tie rod ends with OEM parts. After thread counting and marking I found I still had to adjust toe after installation.