Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do I need a new rear cross member?

Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do I need a new rear cross member?

Hi guys! Happy America's birthday. I hope you all still have your digits.

I am in the process of replacing the factory struts on my IX MR. It's been a process because I am also repairing other damaged parts and rust that I see (that I can) fix. Thanks to living in the midwest.

So my question tonight is do I need a new rear cross member?

I removed the rear lower control arms from the knuckle and shock. The drivers side needs an new inner bushing. So I started to remove the decentering cam bolt and I noticed a lot of aluminum shavings. I had to hammer the cam bolt out because of the rust in the LCA. Once I got it out I found the oval shape has worn away.

This concerns me because on the drivers side it is clearly worn in the pictures. On the passengers side it looks perfect.

So if I get new bolts and hardware and put it back together will I have a problem with either the alignment or future wearing away of the cross member?

The first 3 pictures of the drivers side which shows the damage. The next two are of the passengers side which looks factory fresh.
Attached Thumbnails Do I need a new rear cross member?-img_7983-1.jpg   Do I need a new rear cross member?-img_7988-1.jpg   Do I need a new rear cross member?-img_7989-1.jpg   Do I need a new rear cross member?-img_7990-1.jpg   Do I need a new rear cross member?-img_7991-1.jpg  

Old Jul 4, 2017, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes, that worn slot is disturbing. Looks like corrosion damage & maybe a loose connection as the cause

Certainly can not have any movement in that connection. When everything is bolted up, can you feel any play in that connection?

If any play is present, then, finding a replacement beam is needed IMHO
Old Jul 4, 2017, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
damnn
Old Jul 4, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome. Well I guess I will continue the disassembly process. Thank you MinusPrevious.

Tauro91 I'll get back to you. Thanks homie.

On another note I started another thread asking opinions rear diff options. I value your guys' opinions so please feel free to comment here. Thank you!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...continues.html