Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Loud squeal driver's side front when braking at low speed with moderate pressure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/pro...roductid=31109

Here ya go!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The FSM says to use grease on both sides of the metal shims. I find that when the grease has been on there a long time I start getting noise.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
Thanks I placed an order last night. They only had 2 left !!

Sorry for asking so many annoying questions, but can you guys please explain how you are attaching the OEM fiber shim? Are you using any grease or glue between the metal shim and the fiber shim? Or just simply placing the fiber shim on top of the metal shim?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 09:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
Thanks I placed an order last night. They only had 2 left !!

Sorry for asking so many annoying questions, but can you guys please explain how you are attaching the OEM fiber shim? Are you using any grease or glue between the metal shim and the fiber shim? Or just simply placing the fiber shim on top of the metal shim?
We should be following the service manual here: Appears to show adding anti-squeal lube between the pad the angled shim. The angled shim is directional (look for arrows) & should be the most outer plate up against the piston.

Also, the service manual shows how to remove the piston boots

Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started hearing the high pitch squeal myself this last week. It didnt make that noise last few weeks.. Im not sure if the weather temp has something to do with it but the temp did just drop 5-10 degrees here in NY.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I am using ferodo ds2500 pads on slotted brembo rotors. I have the girodisc anti noise pad shims with the angles shims with a Disc brake quiet fluid/sticky type of substance and they still make noise at low speed/light braking.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So this weekend I finally got around to re-installing the brake pads with angled shims, and I'm still experiencing the squeal (although it seems to happen less???).

For the front pads, I installed the angled shims with the arrows facing down. Is this correct?

One thing which I just realized, is that I didn't grease between the angled shim and the regular shim.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to just have to go to the mountains and completely burn in the brakes. I've heard of stories where people say after a few thousand miles the squeal goes away...

I'm also wondering if this one rotor has some imperfections that is causing the issue because I only hear it from one wheel.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
So this weekend I finally got around to re-installing the brake pads with angled shims, and I'm still experiencing the squeal (although it seems to happen less???).

For the front pads, I installed the angled shims with the arrows facing down. Is this correct?

One thing which I just realized, is that I didn't grease between the angled shim and the regular shim.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to just have to go to the mountains and completely burn in the brakes. I've heard of stories where people say after a few thousand miles the squeal goes away...

I'm also wondering if this one rotor has some imperfections that is causing the issue because I only hear it from one wheel.
The arrow indicates the rotation of the wheel end. (important its oriented correctly)

Yes, lubing in pins & plates may help. And maybe a re-bed is in order
Old Dec 5, 2017, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I cleaned off my disc quiet sticky residue from the pins/plates and used copper antiseize. It seemed to help with the squeal but we'll see over time.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I use multi-purpose grease I buy in tubs at any auto store. The grease quickly loads up with brake dust and dirt, becoming an asphalt like material. Plain grease and the angled shims are all I've needed for quiet brakes.