Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TEIN Z Coilovers - Are they any good?

Old Feb 15, 2018, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TEIN Z Coilovers - Are they any good?

Hey everyone

So I'm in the market for some Coilovers, without breaking the bank, and was wondering if anyone was running the TEIN Flex Z Coilovers and whether they like them or not? Just came across them and for the price, they seem pretty good. Any thoughts, let me know, thanks!

https://www.redline360.com/tein-flex...UaAl9kEALw_wcB
Old Feb 16, 2018, 07:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not many of us on this forum are running the Teins.

Most of us are running: Fortune / AST / Ohlin / Feal / Stance & others

Personally I would recommend running the Fortune 500's. You can get them quoted at MAP (one of our vendors)
Website is here: https://fortune-auto.com/

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 13, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedEclipzeGsx (Apr 5, 2018)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just purchased a set today, but I won't be able to install for another 2 weeks. I will provide some feedback afterwards because I couldn't find a ton of information on here.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have Tein Control Master Type Flex for over 10 years now. Serviced onced at Tein California (free of charge).
It was paired with Tein EDFC. (onboard electronic dampening system)

Its been in Track, canyon, autox and drag with no problem.

In 2 weeks, im buying another set of Flex z on my other Evo 8.

Tein is made in Japan.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
To be honest, never felt them in an evo, but i felt budge ones in a G35 and Subaru Legacy. It feels like you are floating and have no feel to them, kind of scary going around a corner as well since i did drive my buddies G35 on the tail of the dragon with those coilovers. Great coilovers without breaking the banks are BC Racing and Fortune Auto 500. Dont be a ricer and put cheap parts on an evo, do it right.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 06:17 AM

Here's my 2 cents. Install was very straightforward. I drove around maybe 30 miles to let everything settle and then leveled the car out. Getting an alignment is next on the list.

I was previously using the Eibach Pro kit springs on old stock struts. The amount of body roll has been decreased tremendously thanks to the 10k/8k springs. Charging corners has a very different feel now and I can understand the "float" that OneSlowEvo8 refers to. I wouldn't say they have no feel and are unpredictable, just different than what I was used to. Previously, handling felt very predictable because of the soft springs and body roll. Still have to play with compression and rebound settings to find the sweet spot. I'm running right in the middle at the moment and it's easily bearable on the street.

I'll be taking these on track at Atlanta Motorsports Park on 4/9 and should have some better feedback then. Overall I'm very pleased with these and have nothing negative to say about them.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hookah Bazooka, good to hear the install went straightforward, i too will be installing the Tein Flex Z here shortly. Please keep us updated on the track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park. I'm very interested in the settings you have set for street and track. what are your/ anyones thought on the EDFC?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:36 AM

EDFC sounds great, but personally, I'd spend my money on something else. I cut out the back carpet so I have access to make adjustments in seconds. I don't see the need for on the fly adjustment, but to each their own.

Today I bumped everything up to 10 and noticed improved suspension feedback without sacrificing ride quality on the street. Looking forward to giving it hell and I'll report back.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Not many of us on this forum are running the Teins.

Most of us are running: Fortune / AST / Ohlin / Feal / Stance & others

Personally I would recommend running the Fortune 500's. You can get them quoted at MAP (one of our vendors)
Website is here: https://fortune-auto.com/
Thanks for this! I am in the market for some Fortune 500s due to the budget and how I plan to drive the car.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 5, 2018)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Good move IMO. You know, you can call FA direct & they will have you fill out a form so they can assemble the c/o's to suit your needs

Its more money, but adding the following should be considered (radial bearing kit, Swift springs & their new collar kit)

Off the shelf is fine as well!

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 5, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:05 AM

Had to postpone the track day because of an urgent work trip. Re-scheduled for 5/8 and I'll have some feedback then.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Good move IMO. You know, you can call FA direct & they will have you fill out a form so they can assemble the c/o's to suit your needs

Its more money, but adding the following should be considered (radial bearing kit, Swift springs & their new collar kit)

Off the shelf is fine as well!
Just be wary that if you go with a stiffer spring in the rear, you will run into droop issues. I have 11k's in my fa510 rears and I only get 1" droop(from the shock) and its causing me to have some bad jarring affects going over railroad tracks or uneven road surfaces which I would basically run out of droop. If running the 8k off the shelf you should be fine since you'll get more static droop from that. I'm most likely going to have to get a helper/tender spring to get more droop.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 07:51 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Just be wary that if you go with a stiffer spring in the rear, you will run into droop issues. I have 11k's in my fa510 rears and I only get 1" droop(from the shock) and its causing me to have some bad jarring affects going over railroad tracks or uneven road surfaces which I would basically run out of droop. If running the 8k off the shelf you should be fine since you'll get more static droop from that. I'm most likely going to have to get a helper/tender spring to get more droop.
Curious to know how spring rate effects droop? I always thought droop was limited by total maximum damper travel and not by the spring?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Curious to know how spring rate effects droop? I always thought droop was limited by total maximum damper travel and not by the spring?
Since our cars have a low motion ratio of 0.6-0.7 in the rear, we have to get higher spring rates if u want the car to handle well(not saying it doesnt already, but will even better!). So in this scenario (my car), it has 11k spring(616lbs). My rear corner weight around about 650lbs avg. This will compress the rear(the shock) by around 1" when the car is static, touching the ground. So since our motion ratio is around .64, the wheel will compress by 1.5" due to motion ratio. The shock compresses by by 1" (shock travel/Motion Ratio) is what gives you the wheel travel of 1.5" at static. So for me I get at most 1" of droop from the shock which is 1.5" of droop at the wheel itself. Me myself I can get more droop in the damper since overall it has about 4.5" of total stroke(not subtracting 1" the bumpstop takes up). But since my spring only lowers by 1" at static, if I went over railroad tracks or uneven surfaces that made the wheel droop more than 1.5", my rear tires would then be airborn and then I get a bad bouncy crash affect when I land.

So for my scenario I need helper springs or run a dual spring rate setup. My spring perch gives my springs around 0-1/8" preload as they're now. I can lower the spring perch by 1" which will give me 1 extra inch of droop but my spring itself will flop around if I go over something that would cause the spring to droop more than 2" now. I was actually going to try it anyways since I couldn't really see my rears drooping more than 3.125" (from the wheel) but I didn't have enough room in my lowering perch to raise my shock body by 1" since I would need to lower the spring perch by 1".

Our cars don't have that problem in the fronts since the motion ratio is close to 1 and we have so much damn weight in the front so at static they will compress a good 2", almost double our rears.

But to your main question " I always thought droop was limited by total maximum damper travel and not by the spring?".
It is limited by total maximum damper travel but our springs kinda come into play since it will only allow it to compress so much while the car is static. If we ran coilovers out of the box rates like ohlins (10k fronts and 8k rears). That springrate would allow the car to compress the spring/shock more than higher rate springs, thus less chance of droop issues.

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Apr 11, 2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
My 510's were spec'd by Terry at FA (10K / 12K Swifts). It was his recommendation based on the track day work my EvO was seeing

Not following you, too well, on the cautionary advice on droop. My 510's eliminated some tripoding corners at the track I frequent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TEIN Z Coilovers - Are they any good?