Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:01 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Don't even bother with NT05, especially if you are coming from RE71R. If you are mainly tracking the car, NT01's are the standard. Good to the cords and they last on our heavy Evos.

This current set of mine have about five events on them and still a couple more to go easily.
Just called my local tire shop to get a price on a set of NT01's! I see you are running 18" wheels in the pic. How do you feel about the 18's vs 17's?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Just called my local tire shop to get a price on a set of NT01's! I see you are running 18" wheels in the pic. How do you feel about the 18's vs 17's?
I track an Evo 10 now.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 06:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Most hard hitting track guys, on the CT9A platform, run 18's (35 series tire, less deflection).

The 17's are cheaper to run but w/the 40 series sidewall you will have to figure that into your suspension equation (i.e. stiffer rate springs). Your suspension tuner should be directing you on the diff possibilities / effects tires will have

Im not a hard hitting track guy, but have been on 17's for 10 years. My track setup is the Advan RGII 17x9 +29 running the 255/40 NT01's. My track of choice is Fontana & able to lay down a pretty solid lap there (1:52's)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:06 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Most hard hitting track guys, on the CT9A platform, run 18's (35 series tire, less deflection).

The 17's are cheaper to run but w/the 40 series sidewall you will have to figure that into your suspension equation (i.e. stiffer rate springs). Your suspension tuner should be directing you on the diff possibilities / effects tires will have

Im not a hard hitting track guy, but have been on 17's for 10 years. My track setup is the Advan RGII 17x9 +29 running the 255/40 NT01's. My track of choice is Fontana & able to lay down a pretty solid lap there (1:52's)
Didn't see you are in Socal. Which group do you run with? I've been sticking to Speedventures since I had a bad experience with another company early on. I'm at a crossroad since I need to either buy 2 more of the 17x9.5 01's to have a square matching set or maybe go up to 18".
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:09 PM
yip
Evolving Member

I track an Evo 10 now.
How does the X compare to the 9? Is it a track dedicated car?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Didn't see you are in Socal. Which group do you run with? I've been sticking to Speedventures since I had a bad experience with another company early on. I'm at a crossroad since I need to either buy 2 more of the 17x9.5 01's to have a square matching set or maybe go up to 18".
Have not tracked in a couple of years, but yes, was a true SV participant. I still attend track days there but only to walk to paddock

Tough call on the wheel choice. Just from an aesthetics point, the 18's look better & the 35 series tire offers more sidewall rigidity

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 4, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
How does the X compare to the 9? Is it a track dedicated car?
I had an 8. I like the 10 better, chassis is better overall. However you have to do a few more things than the CT9A to get it truly track worthy. The fuel system being the biggest one.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:59 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Have not tracked in a couple of years, but yes, was a true SV participant. I still attend track days there but only to walk to paddock

Tough call on the wheel choice. Just from an aesthetics point, the 18's look better & the 35 series tire offers more sidewall rigidity
I'm going to Buttonwillow this weekend with SV and then to Fontana on May 5th. You should come. I've been to a handful recently and I have only seen 1 EVO X. Is this chassis not favorable? Surprised to not see more of them.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 08:04 PM
yip
Evolving Member

I had an 8. I like the 10 better, chassis is better overall. However you have to do a few more things than the CT9A to get it truly track worthy. The fuel system being the biggest one.
First mod we did to the 8 was a Radium surge tank and AEM fuel pump. My first day at Buttonwillow I learned that the 8 doesn't like going fast right with less than a 1/4 tank :P

I originally was considering a X but an 8 randomly fell in my lap with only 30k miles on it so I went that direction. I'm not too far into it so I constantly think about selling it and getting a X. I only use the EVO for going to track day events with the wife so I'm wondering before I go past the point of no return if I should just move to the X now.

I bought a truck and trailer setup and me and the wife hope to travel to all the major tracks in the U.S. for fun!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
The CT9A is by no means a bad chassis for the track. The CZ4A does have a few advantages, (wider track, able to fit more tire, better cooling ability) but you're not shooting yourself in the foot by having a CT9A, it's easily one of the most track proven platforms in existence. If you're wanting to make the car dedicated for the track then 18x10(or wider) wheels would definitely be the best course to take for wheels. 17" wheels don't have much options for wide tires compared to 18" stuff. Plus if you ever move to larger brakes you'll have to step up to 18" wheels anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
More tire? Just a little nip-tuck away from 315s on an 8/9

Though under stock fenders, 295s are doable, maybe even 315s with some sacrifices. But 8/9 being lighter should do more with less. Not sure what it takes to get under 3000lbs in an X but CT9A isnt too hard.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
I would also vouch for Performance Shock. I highly recommend doing business with them. They offered me a great price and are easy to communicate with!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
I thought I saw a couple guys running 335s on their Xs with the amount of work it takes the 8/9 to fit a 295 (ie some rolling and a mild pull). I guess I should've rephrased it as they are able to fit larger tires more easily. I know there's a lot of guys running 285-295 tires with barely having to touch the body at all on the X.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you restacked your rear differential too?
OEM USDM rear differential came stacked incorrectly
Old Apr 10, 2018, 07:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Spring rates will depend on how much you can tolerate it on the road, what sort of tires youre running what you have for bars, aero and what kind of racing you plan to do as usually auto-x folks have much stiffer rates than track cars.

Personally I started off with 8K F/ 10k R so OEM springs but flipped. Then I put the 10k up front and but 650# springs for the rear. Then I sent mine into Ohlins for a revalve and put the 650# up front and bought 800# for the rear. The car feels good but I need shorter springs to aid in tire fitment so I might try a little more spring and see how the car feels.
IT's technically note "free". You get more money off the coilover kit if you don't get them revalved. Either price is still below retail though.

Originally Posted by yip
On another note what tires you guys running for road course? I've been through 3 sets of 255 RE71r's but my alignment shop is telling me that they are better for AutoX. I have consistently run my fastest times during the beginning to middle of my second session. Lap times after that seem to slowly get worse until the end of the day even as I get more comfortable with the track. I'm being advised to change suspension and learn how to manage tires better but to also move away from the Bridgestones.
NT01 is a much better track tire than the RE71r. You'll get similar lap times out of a sinlge hot lap, but NT01's will do that all day. Where with the RE71r's, as you've found, go away quickly with heat.

Quick Reply: Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?