Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?

Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:51 AM
  #1  
yip
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 107
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?

Hi All,

Decided to buy a set of Ohlins for my 8 that I use primarily for track day club events as I have been consistent with going at least once a month if not more. I'mnNot racing competitively and from what I've read the Ohlins seem like the most favorable option for a car that sees some street driving. With that said where do you guys recommend purchasing from or through as it seems there a a lot of vendors that sell Ohlins?

Also, I currenty have the Ciro castor camber plates that I'm using with the stock struts/springs. Do you guys know if these will work with the Ohlins since I am assuming the Ohlins do not have castor adjustment?
yip is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:59 AM
  #2  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,126
Thanked 60 Times in 58 Posts
Although I havent worked with them I believe Performance Shock will revalve for free on initial purchase if you opt to swap springs. Might be worth reaching out to see what they say and pricing out a set. If youre keeping them fairly basic then shop around as a lot of vendors sell them and you should be able to get them for a steal these days.

And to answer your other question about using the CDR plates, yes you will be fine; I currently have the same exact setup on my Ohlins. You will have to swap the entire plate assembly however not just the top portion as the spacing is slightly different. But they will fit fine.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 01:35 PM
  #3  
yip
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 107
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Although I havent worked with them I believe Performance Shock will revalve for free on initial purchase if you opt to swap springs. Might be worth reaching out to see what they say and pricing out a set. If youre keeping them fairly basic then shop around as a lot of vendors sell them and you should be able to get them for a steal these days.

And to answer your other question about using the CDR plates, yes you will be fine; I currently have the same exact setup on my Ohlins. You will have to swap the entire plate assembly however not just the top portion as the spacing is slightly different. But they will fit fine.
Thank you for your response! I will give Performance Shock a call.

Any recommendations on a specific spring rate or just go with off the shelf setup?
yip is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 01:53 PM
  #4  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,126
Thanked 60 Times in 58 Posts
Spring rates will depend on how much you can tolerate it on the road, what sort of tires youre running what you have for bars, aero and what kind of racing you plan to do as usually auto-x folks have much stiffer rates than track cars.

Personally I started off with 8K F/ 10k R so OEM springs but flipped. Then I put the 10k up front and but 650# springs for the rear. Then I sent mine into Ohlins for a revalve and put the 650# up front and bought 800# for the rear. The car feels good but I need shorter springs to aid in tire fitment so I might try a little more spring and see how the car feels.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 01:54 PM
  #5  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 4,908
Thanked 611 Times in 584 Posts
Youre going to have consider changing the rates. If Im not mistaken Ohlins rates are not well suited for the EvO (i.e. 8k / 7k vs 7k / 8k as an example)

The rates will depend on how youre using the EvO (track, street only, race, etc). Im sure PS will walk you through whats right for your application
MinusPrevious is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:14 PM
  #6  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,126
Thanked 60 Times in 58 Posts
Joe- the OEM config for out the box Ohlins comes with 8K & 10K which is perfectly acceptable for a mix between street and track. Of course they are setup with the intent for the 10K to be in the front and 8K in the rear but most here flip the 10's to the rear.

Depending on how hardcore you want to get you can go from mild to spicy if that's what your heart desires Im told my Ohlins that they say the factory valving is good for +/- 4K. Of course for the best performance a revalve specific to your rates is the best case scenario.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:18 PM
  #7  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 4,908
Thanked 611 Times in 584 Posts
I just remember hearing that Ohlins had the rates flip flopped (heavier up front vs rear)

I could be wrong. Im a Fortune Auto 510 guy as you may know

EDIT: Just checked MAP site https://www.maperformance.com/collec...7-8-9-mis-mi10

They show the following rates at: Front Spring Rate (100N/mm) / Rear Spring Rate (80N/mm)
MinusPrevious is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:23 PM
  #8  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,126
Thanked 60 Times in 58 Posts
Yep, you are correct they're flipped

And I know you're on Team Fortune Auto which I believe you speak highly of
heel2toe is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:25 PM
  #9  
yip
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 107
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Spring rates will depend on how much you can tolerate it on the road, what sort of tires youre running what you have for bars, aero and what kind of racing you plan to do as usually auto-x folks have much stiffer rates than track cars.

Personally I started off with 8K F/ 10k R so OEM springs but flipped. Then I put the 10k up front and but 650# springs for the rear. Then I sent mine into Ohlins for a revalve and put the 650# up front and bought 800# for the rear. The car feels good but I need shorter springs to aid in tire fitment so I might try a little more spring and see how the car feels.
The car rarely sees the street. Probably less than 1 day a month at most since I have other cars for daily driving. I'm running all the Cali road courses. Buttonwillow, SOW, Laguna, Fontana, Chuckwalla etc.... No Auto-X.

The car came with a Hotchkis rear sway bar. We are also running 17x 9.5 Enkei but wider track in the front at +18 and +38 rear.
yip is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:31 PM
  #10  
yip
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 107
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
On another note what tires you guys running for road course? I've been through 3 sets of 255 RE71r's but my alignment shop is telling me that they are better for AutoX. I have consistently run my fastest times during the beginning to middle of my second session. Lap times after that seem to slowly get worse until the end of the day even as I get more comfortable with the track. I'm being advised to change suspension and learn how to manage tires better but to also move away from the Bridgestones.
yip is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 03:54 PM
  #11  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 4,908
Thanked 611 Times in 584 Posts
^^^Im no tire expert, but always ran the Nitto NT05 255/40/17's

You really need a high dose of front camber (min -3) to maximize grip / wear

Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Yep, you are correct they're flipped

And I know you're on Team Fortune Auto which I believe you speak highly of
Thanks for confirming Eric
MinusPrevious is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 04:15 PM
  #12  
yip
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 107
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
^^^Im no tire expert, but always ran the Nitto NT05 255/40/17's

You really need a high dose of front camber (min -3) to maximize grip / wear



Thanks for confirming Eric

I believe the front setting is 2.7 but I'm also getting extreme outside wear on the rear also. I've been rotating inside out every track day. I just looked up the NT05's and they are significantly cheaper than the RE71r's. About $40 less per tire which is big.
yip is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 04:26 PM
  #13  
Evolved Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 817
Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
You're definitely going to want a harder compound than an RE-71. The 71 is definitely geared towards short, fast runs more than extended hot lapping situations. Nitto NT05 or Hankook RS4 are both good options, if you feel like you can go for even more grip then you could jump up to an NT01.
ayoustin is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 04:29 PM
  #14  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,100
Thanked 233 Times in 206 Posts
Don't even bother with NT05, especially if you are coming from RE71R. If you are mainly tracking the car, NT01's are the standard. Good to the cords and they last on our heavy Evos.

This current set of mine have about five events on them and still a couple more to go easily.
razorlab is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2018, 04:54 PM
  #15  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 4,908
Thanked 611 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by yip View Post
I believe the front setting is 2.7 but I'm also getting extreme outside wear on the rear also. I've been rotating inside out every track day. I just looked up the NT05's and they are significantly cheaper than the RE71r's. About $40 less per tire which is big.
My bad on the tire spec. Typo / Ive run many sets of the NT01's on the track (ran the NT05's on the street)
Ran my car w/approx -2.7 & had the outside shoulder wear issue as well
MinusPrevious is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.