Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Carbotech XP10's, great pads and are like new still after a few years of hill climbs and street sprints. Noisy as hell though and won't get them again because of the noise.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 04:07 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
So I bought all the parts you guys mentioned including the SS pistons with seals from RB and TI shims but..... Now I'm on the kick about maybe just stepping up to the AP 8350, Stoptech ST40 or RB 4 piston brake kit. A big part of what got me thinking about moving away from the Brembo setup was when I went to RB to pick the parts I ordered I met the owner and he spent a great deal of time trying to teach me about OEM and aftermarket brake components. He had equipment and tools that could test hardness, flex and all kinds of ****. Maybe he just got me going because he wanted to try and sell me some other **** down the road but he really did get me thinking that over the long term and combined with the fact that I'm trying to average 2 track days a month now it might just be worth making the upgrade right now. Am I crazy?
I'm trying to keep my 17" wheels so the X setup is not an option nor are any of the other BBK that require 18's.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 04:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Let me know if you decide to liquidate any of those fancy parts
Old Aug 3, 2018, 04:26 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Let me know if you decide to liquidate any of those fancy parts

I will be selling:

1 set of ST47 pads with 10 laps on them
1 set of BRAND NEW Stoptech rotors (Front)
1 set of BRAND NEW Stoptech slotted rotors (Front)

All of the other parts I can return to RB because their shop is 20 mins from where I live.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
So I bought all the parts you guys mentioned including the SS pistons with seals from RB and TI shims but..... Now I'm on the kick about maybe just stepping up to the AP 8350, Stoptech ST40 or RB 4 piston brake kit. A big part of what got me thinking about moving away from the Brembo setup was when I went to RB to pick the parts I ordered I met the owner and he spent a great deal of time trying to teach me about OEM and aftermarket brake components. He had equipment and tools that could test hardness, flex and all kinds of ****. Maybe he just got me going because he wanted to try and sell me some other **** down the road but he really did get me thinking that over the long term and combined with the fact that I'm trying to average 2 track days a month now it might just be worth making the upgrade right now. Am I crazy?
I'm trying to keep my 17" wheels so the X setup is not an option nor are any of the other BBK that require 18's.
For the CT9A, go AP kit.

I recently upgraded my front brakes on my 10 from OEM to Stoptech Trophy and it's a huge upgrade, as it should be since they cost as much as a used car.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Razor, are those your rear pads screaming in those laps you posted? If so, I'd go to something less aggressive, they aren't getting enough heat in them. They should be up to temp and quiet pretty quickly with the speeds you're carrying.

Your car is a beast btw.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
Razor, are those your rear pads screaming in those laps you posted? If so, I'd go to something less aggressive, they aren't getting enough heat in them. They should be up to temp and quiet pretty quickly with the speeds you're carrying.

Your car is a beast btw.
My raybestos ST43's still howl, when they're hot enough to light dust boots on fire and all four rotors are glowing orange in high speed braking zones. Real race brakes are loud.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Aug 8, 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used them for 2 years and that was not my experience with them. Maybe it's a driving style thing.

I also found no difference in running ST43's in the rear versus Hawk HP+. Our cars just don't use that much rear brake.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 02:07 PM
kaj

My ST43s make noise no matter what. Hot, cold, luke warm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 04:35 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
For the CT9A, go AP kit.

I recently upgraded my front brakes on my 10 from OEM to Stoptech Trophy and it's a huge upgrade, as it should be since they cost as much as a used car.
So after some long conversations over the weekend with some aquaintainces in the race scene I went ahead and took their advice to just make the switch to 18" wheels and go with an upgraded BBK. From the start the goal was always to push myself to improve without getting into heavy car modifications. We've done almost a full year with 1 or 2 track days a month on a pretty much stock setup so I guess it's just time. Seems like it's never ending though as one thing leads to another. Going to still try and take baby steps but I'm going to likely go with the Stoptech Trophy kit or a RacingBrake kit since they are both local and have been helpful with sharing knowledge and advice.

Looking forward to getting this all dialed in so we can run 2 days at Sonoma Raceway in late September!

If anyone is interested in the above listed parts, 17x9.5 Enkei RPF01's or some good condition RE71R's hit me up. I also forgot to mention that the rotors I have available have been cryoed.

Last edited by yip; Aug 7, 2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 05:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
So after some long conversations over the weekend with some aquaintainces in the race scene I went ahead and took their advice to just make the switch to 18" wheels and go with an upgraded BBK. From the start the goal was always to push myself to improve without getting into heavy car modifications. We've done almost a full year with 1 or 2 track days a year on a pretty much stock setup so I guess it's just time. Seems like it's never ending though as one thing leads to another. Going to still try and take baby steps but I'm going to likely go with the Stoptech Trophy kit or a RacingBrake kit since they are both local and have been helpful with sharing knowledge and advice.

Looking forward to getting this all dialed in so we can run 2 days at Sonoma Raceway in late September!

If anyone is interested in the above listed parts, 17x9.5 Enkei RPF01's or some good condition RE71R's hit me up. I also forgot to mention that the rotors I have available have been cryoed.
I literally ordered brand new RPFs yesterday LOL
Old Aug 6, 2018, 06:16 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I literally ordered brand new RPFs yesterday LOL
:O I have 6 17x9.5's
Old Aug 6, 2018, 08:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
So after some long conversations over the weekend with some aquaintainces in the race scene I went ahead and took their advice to just make the switch to 18" wheels and go with an upgraded BBK. From the start the goal was always to push myself to improve without getting into heavy car modifications. We've done almost a full year with 1 or 2 track days a year on a pretty much stock setup so I guess it's just time. Seems like it's never ending though as one thing leads to another. Going to still try and take baby steps but I'm going to likely go with the Stoptech Trophy kit or a RacingBrake kit since they are both local and have been helpful with sharing knowledge and advice.

I ran Thunderhill full 5 mile track all day long in 100* heat and the front Stoptech Trophy kit with Raybestos ST47 front, ST43 rear pads never quit. I totally recommend. This is with my full weight Evo 10 with leather and sunroof and 540whp in track trim.

Just as an FYI, the standard Stoptech ST60 BBK is basically the same as the trophy but painted instead of anodized and a little heavier calipers. I would have purchased that kit if I didn't get the crackin' deal on the trophy kit that I did.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 02:07 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I ran Thunderhill full 5 mile track all day long in 100* heat and the front Stoptech Trophy kit with Raybestos ST47 front, ST43 rear pads never quit. I totally recommend. This is with my full weight Evo 10 with leather and sunroof and 540whp in track trim.

Just as an FYI, the standard Stoptech ST60 BBK is basically the same as the trophy but painted instead of anodized and a little heavier calipers. I would have purchased that kit if I didn't get the crackin' deal on the trophy kit that I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sorEJiMXdo
I watched your Thunderhill video a while back. I kept hoping you would pass that GT3 or ram into him :P Thunderhill always reminds me of playing road rash on sega genesis with all the elevation changes. Hope to get on that track some time soon.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
My ST43s make noise no matter what. Hot, cold, luke warm
Mine were still making noise when they were on fire...

Quick Reply: Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?